SIG Talk banner

Cleaning

4767 29
As far as keeping my weapon clean,lubed and rust free I have been using only CLP. Apologize as this has more than likely been brought up multiple times but am getting mixed results on what I am reading. From what I have read everyone loves hops because the smell brings back memories and most state that it has worked for a number of years but we all know tech advances everything including solvents and lubes. From my understanding CLP is a perfectly good product for day to day operations and maybe use some hops 9 through the barrel ever few thousand rounds to really break down carbon build up? Keep in mind I'm that I'm not living in a jungle or burying it in the sand. On average 150-300 rounds a week at the range and cleaning within hours or a day or two with the CLP, is this is plenty/good standard to keep weapons operational and in good shape? Or do I need to be doing more to insure consistent operation and long life?
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,061 Posts
gp226, CLP should be fine for cleaning, as long as you don't fire anything with corrosive priming. I know it's what the military uses, but the military also uses weapons with chrome lined bores. Copper deposits from bullet jackets can build up, as rifled bores, while appearing shiny and smooth, aren't! As long as the humidity, doesn't allow moisture to penetrate under any jacketing material left in the bore, you should be all right.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
504 Posts
You are going to get 1,000 different answers because many products do the job and it's simply personal preference in most cases.

I use M-Pro 7 spray to clean (because it is highly rated/recommended and it was the first product I tried - never had a reason to switch), Weapon Shield to lubricate (thicker than the standard oil), and Mil-Comm TW25B grease when needed (full length rails on my 1911, my Legion and CZ 75 SP-01, etc.). TW25B was the recommended Sig grease until they recently switched to Lucas Oil products.

All are non-toxic, environmentally safe, etc. if that is important to you... the Weapon Shield smells like cinnamon actually! No need to open the windows and wear a haz-mat suit when cleaning and lubricating your firearms!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I'd suggest using a plain cleaner like that from MPRO 7 or Hoppe's misted from small pump spray bottle to get all carbon and old oil and grease build up free from your gun. Then lightly oil and lube accordingly. CLP is good for quick wipe downs and I keep an oily rag around with CLP for exterior wipe down after carrying.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use MPro7 to clean the bore, and then CLP to clean up the parts. Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil and grease on the moving parts. Silicone cloth in between cleanings to keep the pistol clean especially my carry weapon. Never have problems with my pistols if I clean after every range session and provide some TLC in between.

Ron

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I use M-Pro7 gun cleaner for the bore, then M-Pro7 LPX & Super Lube for oil and grease.
I also use Weapon Shield and Slip 2000 products too, for other weapons that I have. And TW-25b lol..
All good stuff.....I like to have a variety.
Will prolly order some Tetra and Lucas products too.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
CLP or almost anything works for wipe downs and cleaning parts but it is worthless for cleaning bores or lubricating slides or barrels. Hoppe's works ok on bores (and everything else) but it doesn't remove copper fouling. Personally I use Shooters Choice for bores and Hoppe's for everything else, you just have to remember to rinse your brushes afterwards of they will quickly reduce in caliber.
For lubrication I stick with oil's and grease. I used TW-25 for a while till I found it dried out on a few guns. Currently I like Shooters Choice grease and Wilson's oils and greases.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hoppes for cleaning, Hornady 1Shot (aerosol) for the trigger group
Slip2000 EWG (grease syringe) for the rails & rub points
Slip2000 EWL (oil) for the pivot points, w/ precision oiler
Hoppes silicone wiper for the finishing touch!

I bought some G96 solvent (for copper removal) after watching a youtube video, but they used kroil to rinse it off the bore...i'm a little hesitant to use it regularly...anyone have experience with it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see a bit of consensus with the M-pro(thanks), I will have to take a look into. To expound on my op, I use the clp on all parts, clean up and than grease the rails and add a drop of lucas gun oil to the trigger spring, guide rod, and a light coat over pretty much everything. I'm about 1500 rounds in and have never had a malfunction, but my main concern is long term. I would like to hand this weapon down in 10-20 years in as close to perfect condition as I can. Any you tube videos out there to guide me on cleanup for a step by step guide? And last question, from what I have read generally a field strip and clean is ok until around 3-5k rounds then it is time for a more thorough break down?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the MPRO7 has a bit more corrosiveness associated with it for better break down of buildups than Clp but less lubricant makeup as CLP? I'm probably over thinking it all but just want to understand. Reliability and preservation being a major concern.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use a combination dependant upon use, grit level, etc. But usually EzOx, Hopp's, G96, TW25 and Wilson's grease. Brushes, snakes, swabs and microfibers. With a final cost of spray and wipe. General clean up after Range with 2-3 times per year strip down quality clean. Carry gets a squirt of lube if heading to range before its workout. : )

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I have many different cleaners and lubricants

I now use Kroil (coal oil) as my main cleaner and occasionally Sweets, Bushes' and a couple others for copper.

Kroil is the best to loosen rusted screws or to remove old military barrels so it gets under things which for removing carbon and or whatever is useful
It is known as "The oil that creeps"

For lube I use Gunslick grease (Sig barrels and a dab on the end of the rails) and Mobile One motor oil which goes for my AR15s as well
(Only Sigs get the Gunslick! Zee unterpistolen get lesser grease brands)

I shoot 20-23K rounds a year and do not have wear problems
I am guessing most lubes will do the trick as long as you make sure you keep high wear areas wet (NOT DRIPPING)

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Hoppe's #9 is fine, but CLP is probably a little better, IMO. It is a cleaning agent and a lubricant that you can use after shooting and not worry about your gun. You may want to do a deep cleaning once a month, if you're shooting that much a week, for which Hoppe's will do fine, but another great cleaning agent is Ballistol. In fact, that is all Hickok45 uses! I prefer M-Pro 7. I don't use the cleaner often, except on the barrel, but I use the Gun Oil LPX product to clean/lube my gun routinely. I will occasionally do a deep clean, which is when I use the MP7 cleaning agent, but even with that, the project takes roughly ten minutes. Here is a good video Hickok45 does for cleaning his Glock. This is essentially the same method for all striker fire guns, perhaps with a few exceptions, but FWIW:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've always cleaned my gun every time after use.
I spray the bore with BALLISTOL and let it soke. Then I wipe all the rest with a clean cloth. I spray everything with DW40, wipe it clean then lube it with BALLISTOL, I dab the rails with some TETRA GUN GREASE. Then I start cleaning the bore alternating BALLISTOL and a brass brush scrubs. I reassemble the gun and wipe the ouside with a clean silicon cloth.
In almost 40 years I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the input. Seems that firing every week and breaking down and lubbing with the clp should be fine after use, none are collecting dust due to inactivity for long to justify a long term preservative .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.