SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I've had my P226 for about a month now. Been to the range four times, each time put around 200 rounds through it. I have cleaned it after every range visit. However, I belive it is the top of the locking block, see pic has become difficult to clean, I've been using bore cleaner.
Any tips really appreciated.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Congrats on your P226!!!! You're enjoying her too, and that great too!

Cleaning solvents frequently contain ammonia which is a corrosive. Hoppe's 9 is a typical example. These solvents are used to soften & loosen your gun barrel's carbon and other residues. They may be left in your barrel for 20 or 30 minutes, but then removed and a protective light gun oil applied.

I use a non-corrosive solvent Balistol, and there are many others...

Looks like you have some rust on that locking block. Some light buffing with a bronze brush should knock that off. Try it keep your cleaning solvent inside the barrel. That stuff can drip down into your trigger and action parts and creat a REALLY bad trigger in your fine 226...

Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on your P226!!!! You're enjoying her too, and that great too!

Cleaning solvents frequently contain ammonia which is a corrosive. Hoppe's 9 is a typical example. These solvents are used to soften & loosen your gun barrel's carbon and other residues. They may be left in your barrel for 20 or 30 minutes, but then removed and a protective light gun oil applied.

I use a non-corrosive solvent Balistol, and there are many others...

Looks like you have some rust on that locking block. Some light buffing with a bronze brush should knock that off. Try it keep your cleaning solvent inside the barrel. That stuff can drip down into your trigger and action parts and creat a REALLY bad trigger in your fine 226...

Cheers
Just seen your reply after my last post, sound advice, thanks

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Thanks I have been using Hoppes and a brush that came with my cleaning kit. Should I leave the cleaner on for a certain length of time before scrubbing?
You can, but as long as you can wipe a cleaning cloth across it after you clean it and get no carbon residue you're fine. You may even want to try other cleaners like MPro 7, Ballistol, CLP, etc. Hoppes is good stuff though. I've even considered using it as cologne. :lol:

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Actually that looks normal. It doesn't really need cleaning. Just hit the sides of it with a qtip.
I was gonna say the same thing. Most of these surfaces can be brushed with a dry brush and left alone unless you just want to give it a deep cleaning.

Reactions: AaInMo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.