SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to check and see what other people are doing. I went to the range Friday. First time in over a month. One box limit on ammo, so that was it. I would like to put at least a few hundred more rounds through it, but I work with what I've got. That's the fourth trip to the range so 200 rounds for my P365. My dad always said to clean the gun any time you shoot it. However, I'm not putting a lot of ammo through it due to the ongoing shortage. When I took it apart to clean it the barrel was a little dirtier than I expected, there was a little bit of grime that wiped right off off the face where the pin strikes. The spring and the rest of the barrel looked like the gun hadn't even been fired. Clean, lightly oiled, and spotless. The manual says not to lube the area where the striker is so I haven't, I just wiped it. I'm fairly new to semi-automatics. Am I over cleaning and lubing it? I searched the forum for " over lubrication " but most of the responses that popped up weren't very relevant. Trying to find the happy medium between overdoing it and not doing enough. The gun has loosened up quite a bit, but is still stiff compared to my Luger. Appreciate any helpful input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You don’t need to clean it after session if you are only shooting 50 or 100 rounds. I do so only because i am just a meticulous by nature. I clean about every 200-400 rounds. They main thing is not to over oil it or that just mixes with carbon and causes a bunch of gunk. As you noted, do not put oil in the striker assembly. Anyway, that is my opinion which you will find varied I am sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
50 rounds of FMJ will let you wipe off the slide and frame with a rag and old toothbrush. Run a patch or two thru the barrel from the breech end then run a bore snake thru. Oil the slides and barrel and anywhere you see wear. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I shot mine last week for the first time, 100 rounds of PMC ball ammo. Really two patches through barrel, one Hoppes 9 and a final with some CLP. wiped slide and frame rails and applied some Superlube synthetic grease. Sprayed some Hornandy one shot, dry lube into striker area. and was done.

·
Premium Member
Sig P320 X-Compact, Smith and Wesson 327.
8,158 Posts
I do a thorough cleaning ever time I fire regardless of how many rounds I've shot. I find it therapeutic.

·
Registered
695 Posts
One thing to keep in mind if you wait to clean the gun until after more rounds are fired in the future: "The bore is dry".
If the gun sits uncleaned longer than you had planned, slight corrosion in the bore might be a concern depending on how/where/duration it was stored.

I suggest that a patch with CLP on it be run through the bore twice after each use, just in case the gun sits a while.

·
Registered
428 Posts
As little as you're shooting, I wouldn't worry about it. The barrel won't corrode unless the gun is kept in high humidity for a long time. Some people like a gun clean as new all of the time which is fine but not always necessary.

I clean unconventionally. If very dirty, I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner (not inside the barrel), wipe it off the slide and it's squeaky clean with no oil or dirt left. (leave the striker and trigger mechanism alone). Follow up with a very thin lube like GT85 which has teflon in it and it cleans well or Rem Oil which cleans and lubes well. I don't believe in grease in a gun.

I have a 9mm PCC that hasn't been cleaned in over 2000 rounds. It's kept in the house and runs fine as is. It gets a brake cleaner wash, wipe, and GT85 soak and air dried then back together but not very often. It's just a tool.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I do a thorough cleaning ever time I fire regardless of how many rounds I've shot. I find it therapeutic.
In the Nam, I also found weapons cleanings very theraeutic. I took on the resposibility of doing weapons cleaning when I had some down time. The other team members appreciated and I got a lot of free beers every now and then.
Today, I still like to clean and will pull weapons out of the safe on a rotational basis. My wife does not mind, but no beers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was involved in an all day school function for one of my kids with a lot of sitting around time. I ended up sitting around next to one of the speakers, who was a Seal. We got talking guns and gun cleaning. I was raised in the school of "Thou shalt clean thy gun after every firing". He told me that he had dealt with a lot of military firearms (mostly M4's) where he felt accuracy suffered due to premature wear by over-cleaning. Specifically he was trying to help a bunch of Marines site in their M4's off the back of their ship on the way to the sandbox, and they were having issues getting dialed in....which he blamed on overcleaning. He told me cleaning a firearm after every use was not only unnecessary but could be harmful.

One man's opinion, but hardly an uninformed one?

Since then, I've become a lot less concerned about cleaning after every range trip. The guy who taught me about guns; my dad (like a lot of dads) got his firearm training courtesy of Uncle Sam in basic....where I'm sure they really stress cleanliness. Then he was assigned as a combat medic....so he really didn't get a lot of firearms time under more practical conditions. Just a theory...but maybe that's why he was so anal on cleaning...to the point we'd clean a rifle after hunting even if we'd only fired it one time.

Phil

·
Registered
695 Posts
He told me that he had dealt with a lot of military firearms (mostly M4's) where he felt accuracy suffered due to premature wear by over-cleaning.
Phil
Did the Seal mention which parts of the firearms were wearing prematurely from the CLP or RBC and cleaning tools?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is a link to a good video. This works well for an after range visit. He also has a ton of great videos to watch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have been doing a basic field strip & cleaning every 200 rnds or so and found it can get pretty carboned up depending on how dirty the ammo was.
Worst was some white box CCI/Blazer I had. After 500 rnds of that even the inside of my mags were quite dirty & needed a good cleaning !

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I rarely clean the barrels of my .22s (LRs & 5.56), I just field-strip, hose off the slide/bolt receiver w/Gun Scrubber/cleaner, and wipe down with paper towels, then lube with Slip2000EL. Bore care is just blasting Gun Scrubber down the breech and bore, followed by a bore snake with Hoppes and then another, discrete bore snake used only for lube (Slip2000EL)
Depending on the number of rounds fired, centerfire handguns get at least a wipe-down with Slip2000 cleaner, followed by lube. ARs run wet with Lube.
Precision rifles are a whole 'nother story.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I find cleaning my guns enjoyable and relaxing. I clean them after every range visit. I have a glock 19, p365xl, and SA saint victor ar15. I use breakfree CLR as my primary lubricant on all 3. I use hoppes bore cleaner and then weapon shield CLR to clean my barrels instead of the breakfree because the weapon sheild does not contain PTFE, which can effect accuracy some and may also cause barrel etching at high heat levels in the AR. It is much more expensive so it only gets used in the barrels. My glock gets very little lube as recommended by the factory manual. My p365xl gets a bit more but I do not go overboard. I cleaned my p365xl striker channel at 1k rounds and had no lube in it just some brass or whatever metal chips from the bullets and a small amount of carbon fouling. It wasn't very dirty at all which tells me I am using the proper amount of lube. On my glock I use lucas white oil where the trigger bar and connecter meet as recommended by johnny glocks and on my p365xl I use super lube ptfe where the trigger bar rides against the steel frame and also just a dab on the sear which helps smooth out the trigger pull. These methods have worked very well for me. I have not had issues with any of my weapons. I'm confident if you follow this method you will have great results, hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sprayed some Hornandy one shot, dry lube into striker area. and was done. Absolutely no lubrication should be used in the striker are or striker assembly. It is a main cause of failure

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 solvent for cleaning. Being I live in a sub-tropical environment where thickening of lubricant in not an issue, I use Lubriplate to lubricate the pistol. You can clean the striker channel with solvent but ensure it is completely dry. Nothing should be used to lubricate the striker channel, not even dry lube. There is no metal on metal contact in the striker channel, there is only polymer on metal contact. Using dry lube has absolutely no benefit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 and CLP for cleaning and to lube Milcomm TW25B. There is a video on How to Videos section

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone for the responses. It seems I'm doing about right. Until the ammo shortage is over and I can run hundreds of rounds in a trip to the range, my tear down and clean is more for making sure everything looks good and no mechanical problems than actual clean and lube. So far the gun looks great. Too early to judge on anything else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts