SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a carry gun that is easier to clean after salt water exposure. Mainly for wade fishing and kayak fishing the Puget Sound. Normally I carry a 1911, but there are a lot of nooks and crannies if it gets dunked. The P320 seems like it would be about as easy as they come, and they are (realatively) cheap to purchase. I've owned some of the classic P series pistols in the past that I was impressed with, but they seem to have a good bit of parts as well, even if the Aluminum frame would make things easier.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,960 Posts
I think most guns would be ok if they were thoroughly cleaned afterward. I'd probably rinse with fresh water to get the salt out of the nooks and crannies, then lube thoroughly, and I think everything is ok. If your were really worried you could ultrasonic clean and then lube.

Could you place in a ziploc bag and then put in your holster? Gun would still be accessible, and you'd get an extra layer of water protection. You should still be able to access trigger, and bullet would pass through plastic bag.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Rinse thoroughly in fresh water as soon as possible. The Aluminum, Stainless and MIM parts will do fine as long as it is rinsed and dried in a reasonable amount of time after salt water exposure. typical 400 series Stainless does not fair well in salt water if left to dry that way, and carbon steel is a definite no go.

But as to which pistol will work the best..? I have no Idea.

The hammer and recoil springs would be the most vulnerable IMO in most P series SIGs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rinse thoroughly in fresh water as soon as possible. The Aluminum, Stainless and MIM parts will do fine as long as it is rinsed and dried in a reasonable amount of time after salt water exposure. typical 400 series Stainless does not fair well in salt water if left to dry that way, and carbon steel is a definite no go.
Worst case scenario would probably be 18 hours or so before I could rinse it off. I just don't want to have to detail strip and a clean the 100ish parts in a 1911 after 2+ hours of round trip drive time and 12+ hours of fishing.

More like disassemble and place parts in sink with running water until I get out of the shower. Then pat dry, re-lube what needs lube and leave disassembled to air dry out until morning. Basically borderline neglect/abuse and I won't be too miffed if it sinks to the bottom of the puget sound.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The type of gun wont matter as much as the type of cleaning and maintenance. Instead of a new gun or (or should I say, in addition too) I would suggest looking into an ultrasonic cleaner. Its easy and in 20 minutes does an excellent job of cleaning the entire gun. I would follow that with a 2nd cycle in the ultrasonic to give it a lube bath

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but never even though of sticking a whole firearm in it. I've only used it for cleaning brass.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You know, I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but never even though of sticking a whole firearm in it. I've only used it for cleaning brass.

Im still fairly new to it but can say im kicking myself for not trying this years ago. Its a dream to have the entire gun(s) spotless in 20 minutes. I have the hornady hot tub which is pretty big and can put a couple guns and brass (different bins) in there at the same time.

So far ive cleaned a good mix of guns with different finishes and some including aluminum frames

- P226 Legion
- P224 Nitron
- Desert Eagle Stainless
- M&P

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,057 Posts
I worked on the water for a number of years. For normal care I just gave the weapon a normal cleaning everyday and never had a rust problem.

If the weapon is submerged in salt water put it in fresh water in a zip lock bag (unloaded) as soon as possible. Then when time allows completely break it down and wipe down every part. Never had any kind of rust with this process.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just to point out its a different cleaning solution!!! dont put your gun in with the brass cleaner

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
As stated, any gun that is cleaned thoroughly after salt water exposure will be fine. The type of cleaning agent and lube you use will also have an affect on how well the gun resists the corrosion, like Ballistol or M-Pro7, etc., b/c they leave a lingering coating of sorts, but there is also the option of buying a phosphate coated gun. Sig offers a couple in the MK25 and the M11A1. I believe there are a few others, like maybe the "Combat" models, but these guns are made specifically for use in and around salt water. Just something to consider. I think the M11A1 is a fantastic carry gun, and I think many will agree with me on that. :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Basically borderline neglect/abuse and I won't be too miffed if it sinks to the bottom of the puget sound.

This is what makes the difference, although, I might even go for something less expensive, An M&P comes to mind with their pricing these days.

I have been boating all my life and have been in the boat industry, by a dock and on small boats almost every day for the past 12 years. Nothing is immune to salt water. You have the right idea, flush it, clean it and lube it, and then keep an eye on it...and replace it when you need to.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Whenever I go out on the boat I rely upon the P320. As stated above, easy to clean and with a polymer frame much less to give way to corrosion. I also wipe down with an oily rag before heading out.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
After exposure to salt water, as other's have posted, it's good to flush with fresh water. Then, if you can, flush with distilled water.

Salt water is a relatively good conductor of electricity due to mineral content. The sodium in particular allows the water to act as an electrolyte to support galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (the dissimilar metals act as a weak battery). Fresh water, having less dissolved minerals, conducts less and is the reason to flush with it.

Distilled water, having no dissolved mineral at all, won't conduct electricity and is an insulator.

Not directly related to guns, but similar advice applies if you drop an electronic device in water (fresh or otherwise). If the device has a battery, immediately remove it. If it was dunked in salt water, rinse in fresh water if that's what you have available. As soon as possible, rinse with distilled water. Then leave open and dry in light to moderate heat (sun, on open oven door with oven on low - no microwave of course!).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.