SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Am new to the forums and to Sig as well. Burning question though as my P938 Equinox will arrive today.

+ What's the recommendation for initial clean and lube before hitting the range? I have been using FrogLube on my CZ but have been reading some scary stories about FL gumming up the works. This will be my EDC so can't afford for that to happen - but liked the sound of the FL pitch and process.

+ Also concerned about making sure that whatever I do after taking the plastic wrap off doesn't strip any of the beauty of the Equinox' finish...

If FL is the way to go - great - I'll clean the factory stuff off with rubbing alcohol and do the FL process. If people with more experience than I have think that's a bad idea, I'd love to hear recommendations for first out of the box preparations.

1,000 thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Clean & Lube for brand new P938 Equinox

If, by the Frog Lube process, you mean the heating up of the metal parts, yeah... I wouldn't do that process. Hoppes good...CLP good... whatever your choice. I've used (& still use) both of them; Butch's Bore Shine is also a good product. Mostly, since it's a 1911-style platform, just make sure the slide is well lubed.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Exactly what fpuhan said above. Oil where is turns, grease where it slides.

The thorough cleaning will take a bit with a nylon pick and plenty of patches to get in the nooks and crannies.

Welcome. You are going to love your new gun.

G.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You have already received good advice. I use the same products to clean my P938 Blackwood that I use for my other semi auto pistols. I prefer CLP cleaners over traditional bore cleaners. I happen to like Gunzilla. It isn't harsh, no obnoxious odor and it gets the job done.

I have used TW25B for lubrication and it's great. It is also expensive. I typically use high pressure red grease that you can purchase in the 10cc syringe applicators from various manufacturers that are marketed toward shooters or for approximately 6-8 dollars, you can go to a big box store, farm supply store or auto parts store and purchase what could be a lifetime supply in a 14 ounce tube or other container for around 5-6 dollars and fill your own syringe or use some other method of application. I have never encountered a problem or malfunction that was the fault of the type of grease I was using. The important thing is to lube the parts that need lubed.

Good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
While you have your new P938 field stripped, make sure the recoil spring guide rod is tight. Put the thin end in a padded vise or similar and gently try to undo the big end by hand. If it does start to unscrew, use red Loctite or extra strong thread locker of your choice. The two parts of the guide rod never have to come apart for any reason - - it's when they come apart on their own that it's a problem!

As garyji said.

Any good grease and any good oil.

I use Super Lube from Synco because it works well, is a synthetic, has a broad temperature range, and is clean.

Enjoy!

bumper

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I clean my p938 Equinox with Balistol just like I do with all my other handguns. Been doing this with the p938 since I bought it new in Nov 2014. For lubrication I use TW25. If you want to save money you can get the TW25 much cheaper via Amazon. The syringe style applicator makes application much neater and easier to use less.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cleaning: ballistol
Greasing: Enos Slide Glide in a plastic syringe (very small amount -- top and insides of frame rails, front and back 1/4" ring of barrel, barrel where guide rod sits, barrel hood, hammer ramp)
Oil: Hoppes #9 (on top of grease -- one drop each on the following: barrel hood, front 1/4" ring of barrel, rails, hammer ramp)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I follow Grey Guns recommendations for Sig pistols, and use Lubriplate as my grease (buy it from NAPA cheap) and fill small syringes to get at the awkward spots. Link to Grey Guns Lube methods:-https://grayguns.com/lubrication-of-sig-sauer-pistol-rails/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great cleaning and lube

I clean my p938 Equinox with Balistol just like I do with all my other handguns. Been doing this with the p938 since I bought it new in Nov 2014. For lubrication I use TW25. If you want to save money you can get the TW25 much cheaper via Amazon. The syringe style applicator makes application much neater and easier to use less.
This has worked for me for a couple years now, with awesome results. Nothing else, easy squeezie

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congrats on the Equinox!!!

Although some folks have luck with Frog Lube, I have also heard nightmares from others.. If/when it does get into areas it should not, the problems will start.

I use CLP and slip 2000 EWG grease with the syringe applicator.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just use Hoppes #9 solvent and oil on all my guns, including my P938. No sludge or gunk. Been around for 100 years, so they must be doing something right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts