SIG Talk banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Right on, that is a nice pistol for sure. I’m waiting on a P220 Legion to arrive shortly.
I love mine, you will enjoy shooting it. Very accurate and a real keeper.

Reactions: ChrisNC1

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I clean my P226 MK25 and P365XL Romeo Zero after each use so that it is in perfect condition when I need to use either. I was taught that you clean your firearm after shooting and before you do anything else.
I have recently changed my cleaning protocol. I was a Hoppes fan for years then went to Cleanzoil for the last year, and I like it a lot but, I recently switched to EEZOX as the cleaner. I am in the trial phase right now as I have only used it for the last month. It seems to have really good cleaning properties and certainly leaves a slicker feel on the metal parts. EEZOX had a good pedigree and it's very easy to use. I still add EEZOX to the rails and barrel as added ensurance against metal to metal wear. Sigs are well made and can be generational firearms if you care for them.
Agreed and I really like your approach. I clean mine after every use as well. I’ve heard a few others discussing EEZOZ too. I will need to give it a try in the not so distant figure. Also, I whole heartedly agree that Sigs are generational firearms if taken care of properly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Here I would like to discuss regular maintenance with respect to lubrication and protection. I realize there are debates that rage over what is best. I also realize there are studies that illustrate what a particular product can do for your pistol. I am not interested in that at all.

Instead of discussing what’s best, I am interested in what oils, greases, protectants YOU use and why you like them. Again, this is probably one of those subjects that boil down to personal preference and I am interested in yours.

Here is what I use on my classic P series Sigs: 1) Breakfree CLP. I like this because I used it in the military and it does a great job at loosening carbon, stripping oils, and protecting the outside of my pistols. I also use this and some oil on a bandanna to wipe my pistols down on the outside before I put them back in the safe. 2) Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Gun Oil. I tried it because of Lucas’ reputation with boating lubricants. I use this oil for everything that is a spring and everything that twists. This oil pretty much stays in place, doesn’t migrate too bad and it doesn’t burn off completely during a range session. 3) Mil Comm TW25b gun grease. I use this on any surface that slides-rails, top of the barrel, under the slide which goes over the barrel. It stays in place and I can still see it once I’m finished at the range.

That’s my regimen. What’s yours?
Update 8/4/22: I’m going to change my regimen a bit on my next pistol. I’m keeping the Break Free CLP because reasons. But, I’m going with Lucas gun grease and Slip 2000 EWL 30. I will compare how that setup runs compared to my current CLP, Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil, and Mil Comm TW25b.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Hoppes #9 seems to still have a large following. I’ve never used it before. One can’t argue the longevity of the brand.
55 years ago I ran patches soaked in Hoppes #9 through the barrel of a Remington 514 single shot .22LR rifle - and it was an old product then.

Reactions: ChrisNC1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here I would like to discuss regular maintenance with respect to lubrication and protection. I realize there are debates that rage over what is best. I also realize there are studies that illustrate what a particular product can do for your pistol. I am not interested in that at all.

Instead of discussing what’s best, I am interested in what oils, greases, protectants YOU use and why you like them. Again, this is probably one of those subjects that boil down to personal preference and I am interested in yours.

Here is what I use on my classic P series Sigs: 1) Breakfree CLP. I like this because I used it in the military and it does a great job at loosening carbon, stripping oils, and protecting the outside of my pistols. I also use this and some oil on a bandanna to wipe my pistols down on the outside before I put them back in the safe. 2) Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Gun Oil. I tried it because of Lucas’ reputation with boating lubricants. I use this oil for everything that is a spring and everything that twists. This oil pretty much stays in place, doesn’t migrate too bad and it doesn’t burn off completely during a range session. 3) Mil Comm TW25b gun grease. I use this on any surface that slides-rails, top of the barrel, under the slide which goes over the barrel. It stays in place and I can still see it once I’m finished at the range.

Hoppe's #9
Break-free CLP
RemOil

I clean after every range session and my EDC(s) get shot/cleaned at least once a month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice routine. How do you like that Remoil? Does it work well for you?
I'll use very little RemOil, Hoppe's Lubricating Oil or Sig Sauer Specc1 in key points like the barrel and slide rails. They all work well. Just a drop is all I use. I have found using much more just attracts dirt, powder residue, etc. I will touch up with a drop of oil as needed.

My general routine is to field strip it, run a couple well soaked patches of Hoppe's #9 through the barrel and set it aside to soak a little. Use a little Hoppe's on a clean rag and a brush to clean everything else, Slide, magazines, magazine well inside areas of the frame and FCU. I'll use a cotton swap to clean any pockets I can't get to with the brush. Dry off any left over Hoppe's and then clean with a few drops of CLP, giving things a light wipe to get any dried solvent residue. Finish with a drop of oil on each slide rail. Then I finish cleaning the barrel with a brass brush to loosen any remaining residue and run a clean patch or two until they come out clean. Then one more patch with a couple drops of CLP. Then a little light oil on the outside of the barrel where it contacts the slide or shows wear. Reassemble and wipe down the outside of everything with a clean lightly oiled cloth. I'll do a more thorough tear down and cleaning with an aerosol cleaner once a year or if it looks like it is needed. My EDC rotation guns get used more so they get more frequent cleaning and oiling. I don't use any grease or heavy oil, but rather a little light oil as needed (but just a drop at a time).

·
Registered
258 Posts
My routine for many years is Hoppes No. 9 for all cleaning followed by a clean patch / towel wipe down. BF CLP wipe down of all metal. In addition, all my classic P Series pistols get several dabs of SLIP 2000 EWG on the rails.

This trial by Project Farm on YT validated my choice to rely on BF CLP. The friction test grinder is pretty extreme, but it does serve a point. BF CLP of today is better than the stuff I used in the Army in the 80's and 90's.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I'll use very little RemOil, Hoppe's Lubricating Oil or Sig Sauer Specc1 in key points like the barrel and slide rails. They all work well. Just a drop is all I use. I have found using much more just attracts dirt, powder residue, etc. I will touch up with a drop of oil as needed.

My general routine is to field strip it, run a couple well soaked patches of Hoppe's #9 through the barrel and set it aside to soak a little. Use a little Hoppe's on a clean rag and a brush to clean everything else, Slide, magazines, magazine well inside areas of the frame and FCU. I'll use a cotton swap to clean any pockets I can't get to with the brush. Dry off any left over Hoppe's and then clean with a few drops of CLP, giving things a light wipe to get any dried solvent residue. Finish with a drop of oil on each slide rail. Then I finish cleaning the barrel with a brass brush to loosen any remaining residue and run a clean patch or two until they come out clean. Then one more patch with a couple drops of CLP. Then a little light oil on the outside of the barrel where it contacts the slide or shows wear. Reassemble and wipe down the outside of everything with a clean lightly oiled cloth. I'll do a more thorough tear down and cleaning with an aerosol cleaner once a year or if it looks like it is needed. My EDC rotation guns get used more so they get more frequent cleaning and oiling. I don't use any grease or heavy oil, but rather a little light oil as needed (but just a drop at a time).
Nice, I do about the same thing as far as field strip and cleaning. I went and picked up an aerosol can of Rem Oil earlier today. I plan to use it on a clean rag to wipe down my guns before they go into the safe. I’m picking up a CZ next week and I’ll be using Break Free CLP, Lucas gun grease, Slip 2000 EWL 30, and Rem oil for wipe down. I’m sure that will perform just as well as my other setup. But I’m still curious if the difference will be noticeable or not. I’m open to trying new products.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
My routine for many years is Hoppes No. 9 for all cleaning followed by a clean patch / towel wipe down. BF CLP wipe down of all metal. In addition, all my classic P Series pistols get several dabs of SLIP 2000 EWG on the rails.

This trial by Project Farm on YT validated my choice to rely on BF CLP. The friction test grinder is pretty extreme, but it does serve a point. BF CLP of today is better than the stuff I used in the Army in the 80's and 90's.

Agreed, I am all about the Break Free. I was in the Army in the early 2000s and that’s what they made us use then too. However, after being able to choose my own, I still landed on Break Free. It’s just an added bonus that there is a small measure of nostalgia that goes along with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice, I do about the same thing as far as field strip and cleaning. I went and picked up an aerosol can of Rem Oil earlier today. I plan to use it on a clean rag to wipe down my guns before they go into the safe. I’m picking up a CZ next week and I’ll be using Break Free CLP, Lucas gun grease, Slip 2000 EWL 30, and Rem oil for wipe down. I’m sure that will perform just as well as my other setup. But I’m still curious if the difference will be noticeable or not. I’m open to trying new products.
I forgot to mention that I also use the Break Free CLP and it is what I carry in the range bag with a couple of different caliber Hoppe's Bore Snakes for quick cleans.. I grew up on mostly hunting shotguns and my father taught me to clean with a rod and the full host of Hoppe's products. He also used the RemOil on our Remington shotguns. My dad was a semi-auto guy and had several 1100's over the years. I'm a pump guy so I have 4 different 870's (Wingmasters in 12ga and 20ga, 870DM 12ga, and an 20ga 870 Express). Hoppe's have been the go to for me for 52 years and has served me well, but when I expanded my gun line beyond the long guns (including Savage, Remington, Ruger and Mossberg rifles) many years ago, I also expanded into some newer cleaning and lube products. I really like the Break Free CLP (bottle and aerosol) on the handguns. Based on the posts here, I'm also going to try a little grease on the metal frame handguns. I have a CZ 75 Compact (all steel frame version) that is a great little gun so I'm going to see the difference with a little grease. I do carry it sometimes but I sure notice the weight, especially after my P365XL (my primary EDC). The CZ P10C is on my "wanna get" list along with a dozen others!

·
Registered
85 Posts
For cleaning I usually use CRC Red Brakleen and for lube I use Militec-1 (Oil Only, no grease). Been using these for YEARS!
Once in a while I stray from Brakleen trying various cleaners but always come back to Brakleen.

I have a friend who had tried Breakfree CLP and he said it gets gummy over a period of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
For cleaning I usually use CRC Red Brakleen and for lube I use Militec-1 (Oil Only, no grease). Been using these for YEARS!
Once in a while I stray from Brakleen trying various cleaners but always come back to Brakleen.

I have a friend who had tried Breakfree CLP and he said it gets gummy over a period of time.
Right on, I’ve never come across Brakleen before. I’ll have to check it out. As far as Break Free, I don’t believe it has gummed up for me before. I did just start using REM Oil to wipe down the outside of my pistols before they go back into the safe; I tried it because of some comments on this thread, I didn’t think that I would like Rem Oil but I do. It gives the metal a nice look and you can see the coating.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I had to read that twice. First time I read it I thought you said oil on a banana lol. Gonna be a long day

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've always heard the green non chlorinated Brakleen is much safer to use than the red and I seem to recall a few YouTube videos that compared many gun oils in extended rust tests that Rem oil performed poorly compared to others. But I have never used it so just passing along my recollection of what can probably easily be found on YouTube when it comes to longer term rust protection. Seems that many here have not had problems with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I've always heard the green non chlorinated Brakleen is much safer to use than the red and I seem to recall a few YouTube videos that compared many gun oils in extended rust tests that Rem oil performed poorly compared to others. But I have never used it so just passing along my recollection of what can probably easily be found on YouTube when it comes to longer term rust protection. Seems that many here have not had problems with it.
Right on, I appreciate the information.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts