SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I would like to discuss regular maintenance with respect to lubrication and protection. I realize there are debates that rage over what is best. I also realize there are studies that illustrate what a particular product can do for your pistol. I am not interested in that at all.

Instead of discussing what’s best, I am interested in what oils, greases, protectants YOU use and why you like them. Again, this is probably one of those subjects that boil down to personal preference and I am interested in yours.

Here is what I use on my classic P series Sigs: 1) Breakfree CLP. I like this because I used it in the military and it does a great job at loosening carbon, stripping oils, and protecting the outside of my pistols. I also use this and some oil on a bandanna to wipe my pistols down on the outside before I put them back in the safe. 2) Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Gun Oil. I tried it because of Lucas’ reputation with boating lubricants. I use this oil for everything that is a spring and everything that twists. This oil pretty much stays in place, doesn’t migrate too bad and it doesn’t burn off completely during a range session. 3) Mil Comm TW25b gun grease. I use this on any surface that slides-rails, top of the barrel, under the slide which goes over the barrel. It stays in place and I can still see it once I’m finished at the range.

That’s my regimen. What’s yours?

·
Registered
544 Posts
... I am interested in what oils, greases, protectants YOU use and why you like them. ...
I use (1) Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner, (2) Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil (for slide rails, outside of barrel, barrel lug and lockup, recoil spring and post), and (3) a quality light gun oil.

I no longer use gun grease.

I shoot less than a box (less than 50 rnds) of ammo a month, and I field strip and clean my pistol after each range session.

rx7sig

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I use (1) Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner, (2) Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil (for slide rails, outside of barrel, barrel lug and lockup, recoil spring and post), and (3) a quality light gun oil.

I shoot less than a box (less than 50 rnds) of ammo a month, and I field strip and clean my pistol after each range session.

rx7sig
Is there a reason you discontinued using grease?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Break Free CLP and Slip 2000 EWL30. Nothing else. I'm not a huge fan of grease but I'll try one out occasionally.
Right on, I personally like the Break Free quite a bit.

Clenzoil CLP and Slip 2000. Nothing more for me either. Just don't see any reason to use grease.
Right on, how “wet” do you run your gun?

rx7sig
Agreed, I’m cleaning mine after each range session no matter how many rounds I fire. I use Winchester (white box) and compared to other manufacturers, they are “cleaner” than others I’ve tried. Regardless, I’m cleaning my guns.

Anyone notice Break Free (Safariland) CLP comes in two different types now?
The original black bottle, and a white bottle. I understand they're different formula's but
what's the actual difference?
I wasn’t aware of the white bottle preparation.

Yikes! Winchester White Box is your “clean” ammo? What’s your not so clean ammo? 🤔
Federal and Fiocchi are not so clean from my perspective. What would you recommend for “clean” ammo?

For me, I have found Speer Lawman and Federal AE to be clean.
Right on, Speer seems a little difficult to find at the moment. I was wanting to try them as I’ve had a couple of shooting buddies recommend them. They also recommended Speer Gold Dot for EDC. I have those on the ubiquitous “notify me when available” on a couple of sites.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone notice Break Free (Safariland) CLP comes in two different types now?
The original black bottle, and a white bottle. I understand they're different formula's but
what's the actual difference?
I think they just revamped the branding. It should be the same product as long as it says CLP on it. This was a pretty recent change so you might still be seeing old stock of the black bottles.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Agreed, I’m cleaning mine after each range session no matter how many rounds I fire. I use Winchester (white box) and compared to other manufacturers, they are “cleaner” than others I’ve tried. Regardless, I’m cleaning my guns.
Yikes! Winchester White Box is your “clean” ammo? What’s your not so clean ammo? 🤔

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is there a reason you discontinued using grease?
@AzMaz,

I'm relatively inexperienced compared to many on ST. When I purchased my first pistol (in 2017), I at first followed the advice (to use gun oil, only) given in a couple of YouTube videos put out by Sig Sauer Inc. And then, for a very short time, I followed the advice (to use grease on things that slide) given by several experienced people here on ST.

I decided, finally, that, for my shooting regime, oil works fine for me. The Extreme Duty Lucas oil is certainly sufficiently lubricious. But, it also stays put long enough, and well enough, for me. And using oil, and no grease, makes cleaning my pistol much faster, and less messy.

rx7sig

Reactions: ChrisNC1 and AzMaz

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Have Sig oil and grease, Lucas gun oil, CLP but right now I’m trying some umbrella corporation unicorn lube gun oil and strike hold. I like strike hold because not only does it make my gun power **** come off easy but when I work on my cars does excellent job with tools, cleaning up parts and my hands afterwards.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think they just revamped the branding. It should be the same product as long as it says CLP on it. This was a pretty recent change so you might still be seeing old stock of the black bottles.
You may be right, but in looking around they do seem to have different viscosity CLP.
They're calling this "CLP-4" (4 apparently being the viscosity). You search Amazon
or even Safariland it shows this bottle.

Who knows, it probably the same but they charge you more for the fancy bottle :)

Yellow Font Rectangle Liquid Drink

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally, I have no preference. My carry rotation is 1) 229 DA/SA 357 Sig. 2) 1911 commander 38 super. 3) 320 carry 357 Sig
My favorite range gun is my 77 GCNM View attachment 466140
For Target I prefer SAO
For Defence, DAO or Striker fired.

I'd like the trigger to have the same feel each and every time, as it gives me better control.
Malfunction clearance is safe and easily learned with dry practice.
I wonder if you can help with eye glasses. If you add a slight positive diopter to your aiming eye, it will help your eye achieve front sight focus more easily. You want it to be mild - not a perfect front sight, lest you excessively blur the target, but for pistol or AR iron sights, it is about +0.75 diopters. However leave your non shooting eye focused at infinity. They can both focus on the sight, but the one eye will have a much easier time, and might dominate.
A NIB Original Swiss P210. It would be a Velvet Gloved Safe Queen.
In my case, they all got away, but two that come to mind are:

1) A Norinco 1911. As I recall, it was a faithful copy of the 1911A1, and it was out there for $199 (might have been $299, but I think it was $199). At the time (ca. 1980s), some people were whispering about "Chinese metallurgy can't be trusted," so I balked. I am too often the idiot who listens to people who whisper.

2) Around 2017, I was sitting on my fat heinie waiting for the price on a Colt 1911 Government Model to come down. I waited too long, and I missed the opportunity for ever and ever. (I'm in California. Maybe you've heard of it.) But, as a consolation prize, I got the same gun in a Commander size (04691). Spilled my beer in the rush, but I got it.

3) If I could get a NIB P226 from ca. 1980s, I'd buy it. But I'm not so much of a DA/SA kind of guy.

The SIG P210 hasn't gotten away from me yet. It's on my list.
You may be right, but in looking around they do seem to have different viscosity CLP.
They're calling this "CLP-4" (4 apparently being the viscosity). You search Amazon

Who knows, it probably the same but they charge you more for the fancy bottle :)

View attachment 468367
We can almost bet they are charging more for the fancy packaging.

·
Registered
129 Posts

View attachment 468367
No difference between black and white. But you pointed out something else. The numbers depend on which type you get (aerosol can or flip-top bottle). They have slightly different ingredients and viscosities because of the delivery mechanism.

I've never used anything besides the aerosol can of CLP. But that aerosol can is always CLP-2 whether it has the old black label or the new white one.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No difference between black and white. But you pointed out something else. The numbers depend on which type you get (aerosol can or flip-top bottle). They have slightly different ingredients and viscosities because of the delivery mechanism.

I've never used anything besides the aerosol can of CLP. But that aerosol can is always CLP-2 whether it has the old black label or the new white one.
Gotcha, and makes sense. I've never used the spray on, but I'd be great for pre-treating the barrel.
I think that's one of the mistakes I make with CLP is not "soaking" the barrel long enough.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts