SIG Talk banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
I thought it might be beneficial to the forum to have some additional classic series pistol reference material available for use here on the forum. Occasionally questions are asked that are answered with verbiage and sometimes static pictures. These animations bring the pistol operation to life (and I think they are just interesting to watch too).

To get the animation to play (if it's not already started), all you have to do is click on any area of the image, give it a second or two to load up, and then enjoy the show :D

Disclaimer: I do not take credit for the content or original animation shown. This original information (and a whole lot more) is a part of the Interactive Armorer's Course. All I have done is convert the original embedded flash animation to a format that will play on the forum for the use of the forum members and guests. If you purchase this product you can also click on just one step to see exactly how that one step works, rotate the animation, and zoom in/out on all of the animations - which is very helpful to better understand the operation and troubleshooting of the classic line of pistols. The course is available directly from Sig Sauer for $20. (ETA 11/9/14 - apparently no longer offered)

There is a separate post below for each item covered.
Thank you again, icar.
This is worth its weight in gold

·
Registered
750 Posts
May I also suggest downloading an app or software called "World of Guns: Gun Disassembly" It's free, although you may have to pay to instantly unlock all of the firearms available in the game.

It allows you to learn how to not only field strip almost any weapon, but also to completely disassemble and reassemble them. Function tests and slow motion capture are also there for the viewer to learn the weapons operation apart from some mini-games.

It's one of the best tools I've ever gotten when I need to learn the in's and out's of a new firearm. Also useful for seeing where are the contact points for parts in their operation.

I am in no way affiliated with the app or its developers, just thought it could help you guys like it did for me.

There's an older P228 in game and I believe a p2022? Hopefully they add some more soon.

·
Registered
11,196 Posts
P227, P229C and P224 Magazine Removal / Reversal

Unfortunately, the procedure described in the animation will not work for the P227 or the P229C or P224. These three models use the newer design mag catch assembly.

To remove this design, the mag catch has to be fully depressed and then a small pick or paper clip inserted in the hole at the rear of the right side of the mag catch. This will release the plastic retainer and allow the mag catch to be removed from the frame. The right side grip panel will have to be removed first in order to insert the pick/paper clip in the hole.

Here's some pics of the P227/229C/224 mag catch components:

View attachment 255890

Here's a pic showing the steps for removing the mag catch:

View attachment 255882

When reinstalling the mag catch assembly I suggest putting a dab of grease in the channel on the mag catch where the spring goes to help hold it in position while maneuvering it back into the frame.

Once the mag catch and spring are in position in the frame, depress the mag catch and press the mag catch stop into position until you hear/feel it click.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Long time gun owner but a fairly new Sig owner; this is great! I need to strip my 229 down to a bare frame in preparation to have it Cerakoted. Until I found this, I was hesitant, worried I’d end up with high blood pressure and a bag of parts en route to the gunsmith. Now I’m confident in doing the disassembly and reassembly myself. I like to detail clean my guns every so often also, to inspect and thoroughly clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a version that shows how the extended firing pin safety lever for the SRT kit and its interaction with the trigger bar? Am trying to determine where the trigger bar contacts the FP safety lever.

·
Administrator
35,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
No there isn't. I suggest you post your question in the Sig Pistol forum - you'll get plenty of answers there.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Super nice info. Thanks incar. :thumbsu:

·
Registered
499 Posts
This is one old thread that I am glad got revived! Excellent info!

·
Premium Member
Sig P320 X-Compact, Smith and Wesson 327.
8,158 Posts
Outstanding! Great job. Thanks

81 - 98 of 98 Posts