SIG Talk banner

Choosing a 10mm Pistol

3864 59
Here's a thumbnail sketch of my shooting background. I grew up in a strong 2nd Amendment household. By age 11 or 12 I was putting 7 rounds in the black from 30 ft. with one of my Dad's 1911's. Still have an attachment to the military versions. The old classics! Picked up a nasty Glock habit along the way. I love the simplicity and the price of Glocks. Accurate, reliable, ugly as sin. What's not to love? :D Recently I bought my first SIG, a well used but well cared for P226 MK25. To say it has impressed me would be an understatement! It's a tack driver on the range. And so the SIG sickness took hold. Bought a P938 and I'm just waiting for my umpteenth background check to clear so I can collect it from my FFL and shoot it. Suddenly I have a craving for a 10mm and a .500 Magnum. The .500 will be a S&W revolver with a. 4" barrel, but that's a little down the road. First priority is a solid 10mm. My choices are Colt Delta Elite, Glock 20, or a SIG P220. I'm leaning strongly toward the SIG but I could also see myself opting for the classic Colt Delta Elite or the more economical Glock 20. Care to vote? As this is a SIG forum I expect the P220 to garner the most votes but I'm curious to see how many votes the other choices receive.

Which 10mm

• Colt Delta Elite

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Glock 20

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • SIG P220

Votes: 31 56.4%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23,652 Posts
In my ever so humble opinion, you can't beat the P220 10mm for handling full power 10mm loads with ease. Makes the hottest loads a joy to shoot.

And it is built like a tank.

·
Registered
23,652 Posts
I will add that tomorrow, unless I wake up feeling more like cow patties than I do now, I will be trying out my new P320 XTEN. I can't imagine it will be better than the P220 in ease of shooting, but we'll see. 😁

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've owned all three. Still own a G20 and a P220 10mm. I wouldn't own another Delta Elite. The one I had was junk. I've had both SAO and DA/SA P220 10mm pistols. Still have the DA/SA. Superb pistol. G20. Accurate. Reliable. Inexpensive. Durable. Aftermarket support is fantastic. Except for the inexpensive part the same could be said of the P220. This question has come up before and it's a very tough call. The P220 is a better built and more satisfying pistol to own but the G20 is an extraordinarily good pistol even though you can buy about three of them for the price of a P220 10mm at current prices. If you want a BBQ gun/range toy get the Sig. If you want a do-it-all go anywhere workhorse get the Glock.

·
🎖USAF Retired
903 Posts
I would also consider a SIG 1911 in 10mm in addition to the Colt Delta Elite. I have an Emperor Scorpion 10mm (that I bought from a member of this forum) that will rival the Colt. As an alternative, I would go with the P220. Although the Glock has been around for a while, I personally don't trust polymer frame pistols with full power 10mm ammunition; I prefer metal, especially steel, frame pistols.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If the platform has a link....pass(1911).

If the platform needs more aftermarket parts & is plastic....pass.( Gluck/S&W/SIG X10)

With a Bren,S&W1006,1076,1086,SArmory Omega,Colt Delta Elite,EBrown,LBaer 10mm autos from the mid 80's to the present day...

I will not sell/part w/ the 7 models of SIG P220 R 5 10mm on location...NOTHING compares.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Just remember there is both chocolate and vanilla ice cream and lovers of both! So go visit your local gun shop and handle both the Colt and the Sig and then make a decision. I do feel for you however, since I have both, and a S&W 610 to boot. I can't pick a favorite either.

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
I'm curious why you are limiting you selection to Colt Delta Elite, Glock 20, or a SIG P220? All fine choices but others out there worthy of consideration. There are a lot of 1911s in 10mm, SIG and Dan Wesson are a couple you might consider, with others. The S&W 610 is quite impressive, as well. My first 10mm was the Delta Elite, I really like it a lot. Just be careful should you go that route to make certain you get the updated frame designed to eliminate the frame cracking issue.

Each of the guns you mention a great choices, you can't go wrong. They each present a different set of features designed to meet specific needs and/or wants. I do own all three and really wouldn't give any of them, or any of my other 10mm's, up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have do own and have owned several. I will refrain from posting a bunch of pictures of what I have so as to impress the masses, and stick with the OPs question and restrictions.

I think what the OP intends to do with it has a direct bearing on the answer, but based on the post it sounds as if this will be a range gun primarily so emphasis is likely on pride of ownership over some specific task.

If that is in fact the case, then I cannot respond any better than Caveman has already responded other than to say while I love 1911s above almost all others, not necessarily in 10mm and certainly not in anything that Colt has produced in the last half of my shooting life. There are better choices for a 10mm 1911, and there are better choices than the 1911 for a 10mm. Just my opinion.

Caveman hits it on the head IMO.

I've owned all three. Still own a G20 and a P220 10mm. I wouldn't own another Delta Elite. The one I had was junk. I've had both SAO and DA/SA P220 10mm pistols. Still have the DA/SA. Superb pistol. G20. Accurate. Reliable. Inexpensive. Durable. Aftermarket support is fantastic. Except for the inexpensive part the same could be said of the P220. This question has come up before and it's a very tough call. The P220 is a better built and more satisfying pistol to own but the G20 is an extraordinarily good pistol even though you can buy about three of them for the price of a P220 10mm at current prices. If you want a BBQ gun/range toy get the Sig. If you want a do-it-all go anywhere workhorse get the Glock.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
2,585 Posts
You have come to the Sig forum asking what kind of 10mm to get? Anybody that has read my posts in the past knows that my favorite calibers are the 10mm and the 357sig! That being said I have had quite a few of each, in different flavors. I own Sigs and a bunch of other brands. I do not buy cheap guns, and there is a reason for it. Glocks are some of the cheapest guns I own. I'll tell you why I own them. They are built like tanks, they are reliable, and accurate. Right out of the box! They are easy to work on and upgrade! They are proven in field tests all around the world. IF I could only have one handgun it would be a Glock 20, with fifteen rounds of horsepower. Mine has a KKM match barrel, with Springco recoil system, Over watch trigger system , and Ameriglo sights. I did all the work myself and learned a lot about how easy it is to work on Glocks.
I own 1911's in 10mm and I like them, but they are expensive to work on (with correct parts) and have to be finely tuned to work correctly. They are also smooth and accurate, if you have the right one. Down side is only 7-9 rounds depending on frame size.
I own Sig 10mm's and they are super nice right out of the box, but they are expensive. The 220 is a heavy gun, and not something that I want to carry on my hip all day long. I do not consider it a utility type gun like the Glock. It is a Cadillac of firearms though. Most people here who own them will send them out to have them worked on, if they want up grades.

I know that I am probably being too honest with my OPINION, especially on a Sig forum. Sigs are great guns and have a place in this world. If you want quality buy a Sig. If you want a utility gun that works and is easy to work on get a Glock.
It seems that most all handguns in the gun world are compared to the Glock. I wonder why? Just my .02

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I'm very interested in the P320 X Ten but already have a P220 Legion and P220 Elite Stainless in 10mm. Both are strong and accurate. When hiking or 4 wheeling in eat you type critter country I carry one without hesitation.
PS, Fishjager there is no too much truth. Your opinion is your opinion. Honesty is valuable.

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
...I will refrain from posting a bunch of pictures of what I have so as to impress the masses, and stick with the OPs question and restrictions.
No one is "trying to impress the masses" here - it's the Sig forum, and we like pics of Sigs, pure and simple. ;)

...I think what the OP intends to do with it has a direct bearing on the answer, but based on the post it sounds as if this will be a range gun primarily so emphasis is likely on pride of ownership over some specific task.
Agreed - intended usage matters. My choice for a backcountry gun that I'm going to hike with all day is different than my choice for something I just want to shoot at the range. In my mind, the only advantages the G20 offers are weight and price. But since the OP has the P220 on his list of options, and any P220 chambered in 10mm is going to be a lot more expensive than a G20, price doesn't seem to be the limiting factor.

As for weight, I've hiked with my P220 in a chest rig, at altitude in the mountains, quite a bit. It's an awesome pistol, but it is darn heavy over the course of a whole day on foot. I now carry a M&P 10mm which is significantly lighter, with twice the capacity. A 'field gun' and a 'range toy' have quite different criteria, imo.

·
Registered
23,652 Posts
My first 10mm was my G20 Gen 4. I bought it because I always wanted a 10mm and I wanted something inexpensive, yet reliable. Then I caught the 10mm bug and wanted more. I never thought I would, but I am planning on selling my G20 just because it doesn't fit my hand well. Too wide and square. Even with any of the optional back straps, it just doesn't fit me correctly. When I had more grip strength, it wasn't a problem. My grip is weaker now (still need to work on that, but may need professional help) and the G20 is harder for me to control than it used to be. Recoil is not bad on the G20, I just have problems applying a strong enough grip now given its less-than-optimum fit for my hand.

The P320 XTEN feels like it was made for my hand. It is the first SIG I've handled with a straight trigger that I may keep because it fits me so well. Hoping to try it out today.

I have three 1911s in 10mm. A SIG TACOPS, Remington Hunter 6", and my most expensive handgun, my Springfield Armory TRP Heavy Operator 6". The Remington needs work by a pro to make it reliable. The SIG TACOPS eats everything but is borderline on case support. But no issues with it, and I only shoot hot stuff. The TRP wouldn't feed a damned thing I fed it, out of the box. Had to go back where the factory "re-cut and polished" the feed ramp. NOW it eats everything I feed it. But I hate to field strip and reassemble that thing so much, I quit taking it to the range.

I feel better having the big heavy barrel lug on the P220 and G20 barrels, over the 1911's barrel link, with the 10mm round.

There is nothing easier to field strip, or detail strip, and reassemble, than a SIG classic P-series pistol.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Since we are seeing the 10MM explode in popularity recently, why not include a couple of newly introduced contenders as well, unless you are just dead set on considering only the three originally mentioned?

The S&W M&P 10MM and the Springfield Armory XD-M Elite are getting really good reviews and as long as you are including the Glock, then striker fire pistols haven't been eliminated. The Glock has an excellent reputation, but the S&W and the XD-M offer a big improvement in ergonomics, and are being well received.

Out of the original three, the Sig would be my pick, but being limited by the number of rounds it can carry I might be inclined to consider the S&W or XD-M.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts