SIG Talk banner

Choose One: Classic P Series or Modern P Series?

• Classic

Votes: 82 82.8%
  • Modern

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 2.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Choose One: Classic P Series or Modern P Series?

Reactions: bearone2

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea what You are talking about ?
The modern P series to Me would Only Be the P320 and P365, Neither Of Which I Like.
Then you would answer "Classic". Simple.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is another german vs New Hampshire debate .Pass
It has nothing to do with German v. New Hampshire. What would we call a P229? It was designed in Germany and first manufactured in New Hampshire.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just curious. Some people only own one or the other. I'm unscientifically trying to gauge what's more popular, or what might satisfy more people. Maybe the love the classics but would rather own something other than SIG for polymer pistols.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
IMO you should have explained what "Classic" and "Modern" means

I can guess the folded carbon steel would be classic but most of us feel the metal framed are all classic and (as mentioned) the P320 and P365 would be modern

However, it is possible you mean the milled slide are the modern designation of the P-series but many if not most of us consider any P220/226/227/229 a "classic"

That should have been decided by you before you tried to make the single most confusing poll ever placed on Sig Talk

Hmm. I think I will make that a poll :lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ummm.....DA/SA?
It's not necessarily about DA/SA. A classic p series can be DAK or SAO as well; it doesn't matter so long as it's not polymer (or tungsten infused polymer). In other words, "classic" = Swiss/German design (or based off of the classic Swiss/German design [e.g. P239]) and "modern" = American subsidiary design original (minus manufacturing). Again, I am not talking about where a gun is produced either (i.e. German vs. American-manufactured pistols). Even the relatively recent revival of the P210 is classic and not modern.

Reactions: CatmanIsGod

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMO you should have explained what "Classic" and "Modern" means

However, it is possible you mean the milled slide are the modern designation of the P-series but many if not most of us consider any P220/226/227/229 a "classic"

That should have been decided by you before you tried to make the single most confusing poll ever placed on Sig Talk
When you go to Grayguns' website, for example, they sometimes use the term "classic P-Series" to distinguish SIGs other than the P320, P365, etc... (and then they'll narrow it down further if necessary).

I think someone mentioned I meant metal vs. polymer frame, but that is not strictly true as the SIG P238, for example, is neither polymer or based on the original P220 (it's metal and based off of the 1911 which of course predates the P220/P226) and it was designed by the American subsidiary circa 2009.

I'm sorry I didn't go over this in the OP, but I assumed this was common knowledge (I apologize).

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
If this isn't German vs. New Hampshire, then what are you asking?

Fabricated vs. billet slide, or metal vs. plastic frame, or what? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the steel hammer-fired ones. P239, P226, P229, P225-A1 of various flavors are in my corral. If I were going to get another poly striker gun, it would hands-down without a doubt be another....

Glock.
I prefer hammer fired guns as well, but that also includes polymer ones as well like HK's and the Beretta PX4 Storm which is a phenomenal pistol in my opinion. I've owned six Glocks and I love the design, but I also like other polymer striker-fired guns. The CZ P10 series, S&W M&P's, and HK VP9's are all good in my book. They're mostly similarly reliable to Glocks but point more naturally for me (like a SIG). Don't get me wrong, I usually point a Glock just fine, but if I am shooting too high, more times than not it's going to be a Glock.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
In other words, "classic" = Swiss/German design (or based off of the classic Swiss/German design [e.g. P239]) and "modern" = American subsidiary design original (minus manufacturing). Again, I am not talking about where a gun is produced either (i.e. German vs. American-manufactured pistols).
You know what they say about "opinions", they're like $#&!, everybody has one... I prefer to hear it directly from the horses mouth:

https://youtu.be/Q_VK6vYkWO0?t=686

Even the relatively recent revival of the P210 is classic and not modern.
I'll respectfully disagree based on another interesting interview with Sig that also happens to be done by TFBTV.

https://youtu.be/J5Vr0gVic0U?t=697

IMO, both interviews are worth the time to watch in their entirety. Back to the poll, as others have said it's so ambiguous it's probably safe to say the responses are going to be useless.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If this isn't German vs. New Hampshire, then what are you asking?

Fabricated vs. billet slide, or metal vs. plastic frame, or what? :confused::confused::confused:
Like I said earlier, it is not strictly German v. New Hampshire because of certain exceptions like the P229 which was the last German design, however, it was first manufactured in the United States. Similarly, the P239 is based on the classic P220 design (along with the P226, P228/P229 etc.) even though it was designed and manufactured in New Hampshire. In general I am talking about SIG pistols that can be both metal AND DA/SA or DAK (even if it can be had in SAO). I guess an even grayer area would be the SIG Pro (e.g. SP2022) since its polymer but DA/SA, but the judge rules "disqualified".

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You know what they say about "opinions", they're like $#&!, everybody has one... I prefer to hear it directly from the horses mouth:

https://youtu.be/Q_VK6vYkWO0?t=686

I'll respectfully disagree based on another interesting interview with Sig that also happens to be done by TFBTV.

https://youtu.be/J5Vr0gVic0U?t=697

IMO, both interviews are worth the time to watch in their entirety. Back to the poll, as others have said it's so ambiguous it's probably safe to say the responses are going to be useless.
Two things. First, I've stated numerous times this is not about German v. U.S. made SIGs. We're essentially/mostly (but not exclusively) talking hammer guns vs. striker-fired guns (but pistols like the SIG Pro/SP2022 are a grey area, and the P250 would be another).

Second, when the SIG rep says "we have data", understand if we're going to look at this scientifically, we can't forget that is proprietary data so we would essentially be taking the word of a SIG rep who isn't going to have to reveal numbers (and who doesn't sell or at least primarily sell German-manufactured pistols). But like I said, this isn't about German v. American manufacturing, tolerances, etc.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I am going to take a stab at trying to figure out the meaning of this poll.

I am sure the OP had a good idea but did not word it so some of us could understand what “Classic” and “Modern” actually meant

Here goes my definition of this poll:

Classic are the traditional P22x-series like the P220, 226, 227, 228 and 229
(German or US, milled or folded steel)

Modern would be all the plastic like the P365. 250/320 etc as well as all the 1911 based pistols (including the P238/938) as well as the other non-P22X pistols like the P2009,P2022 and the like

Forgetting the likes of Classics like the P230/232 or the modern P290 types and sticking to the principle lines of pistols which do you vote for:
Classic
Or,
Modern

OP. how did I do?
Not trying to be “smurky” or cop a “tude”
I am seriously trying to find the definition of this poll

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You nailed it Wulfmann. Not that difficult to figure it out. I like both!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts