SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm super new to personally owned weapons I've shot a lot of 9mm with the army and more 556 then I'd ever want to but I got the sig320 in .40 cuz I am one of the few people I guess that love the snappy recoil.

I've been looking for some cheaper .40S&w ammo I keep 180hr American gunner hollow point for carry and the range sells 50 for $16 and Walmart is 100for 15 I think. I would like to find some Ammo closer to 15 cents a round. If this isn't possible.. would I be able to reload for around that price? What's an estimate price per round when reloading a .40?

Thanks for all the advice sig ppl have been the best gun ppl I've met so far.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,304 Posts
First off I'm super new to personally owned weapons I've shot a lot of 9mm with the army and more 556 then I'd ever want to but I got the sig320 in .40 cuz I am one of the few people I guess that love the snappy recoil.

I've been looking for some cheaper .40S&w ammo I keep 180hr American gunner hollow point for carry and the range sells 50 for $16 and Walmart is 100for 15 I think. I would like to find some Ammo closer to 15 cents a round. If this isn't possible.. would I be able to reload for around that price? What's an estimate price per round when reloading a .40?

Thanks for all the advice sig ppl have been the best gun ppl I've met so far.
I'd estimate you are about 10 years too late... at a minimum! Keep an eye out for "Sales", or buy in bulk of at least an 1000 round case to get the best price break. Check out some of the advertisers here, and some of the larger internet houses. Even with reloading, bulk purchases, is where you get more savings. If you have good shooting buddies, go in together and buy bulk, and it can be comprised of multiple calibers and brands, sometimes if free shipping is offered, if a certain amount is spent, go for it, as ammunition is heavy, and can be costly!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Unless you shoot 800-1000 rounds per month reloading won't pay off for you.
Before I started reloading I had good luck with
https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol/40-smith-wesson/40-s-w-180-gr-rnfp-reman.html
Wait for free shipping, or flat rate shipping deals; they also have free shipping for first time buyers.

For carry ammo you really should consider:
https://www.federalpremium.com/ammu...remium-personal-defense/personal-defense-hst/

and: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 40 S&W :: 40 S&W 165 gr FTX® Critical Defense®

·
Registered
23 Posts
You get what you pay for. Picture some slob at the factory smoking weed on his third shift lunch break. Yeah that's what your getting when you get those deals.

Reloading is easy. Any good progressive press will have you cranking out large volumes of ammo in no time. My Dillon 550 does powder drops of +/- 0.1 consistently(way better than cheap ammo).

If you have the inclination, space and initial funds go for it. If not, cheap ammo works too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Reload because you want to and you want another hobby. Otherwise it is just a chore. Absolutely money can be saved though. I reload to for the savings in some calibers but also because the ammo is better. Working up a load for your particular pistol lets you really dial in a nice accurate round.

I disagree with many cost comparisons that people make though. They always compare the cost of hand loaded ammo to the absolute cheapest bulk ammo you can buy and then determine that the cost savings are not worthwhile. That comparison is unfair because you are comparing junk ammo to very consistent and accurate handloads.

Every caliber is different. Some like 45 Colt or 357 mag can have significant savings. 9mm or 223, not so much but I still reload them too. Once you get accustomed to your own ammo, you really do not want factory anymore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reload because you want to and you want another hobby. Otherwise it is just a chore. Absolutely money can be saved though. I reload to for the savings in some calibers but also because the ammo is better. Working up a load for your particular pistol lets you really dial in a nice accurate round.

I disagree with many cost comparisons that people make though. They always compare the cost of hand loaded ammo to the absolute cheapest bulk ammo you can buy and then determine that the cost savings are not worthwhile. That comparison is unfair because you are comparing junk ammo to very consistent and accurate handloads.

Every caliber is different. Some like 45 Colt or 357 mag can have significant savings. 9mm or 223, not so much but I still reload them too. Once you get accustomed to your own ammo, you really do not want factory anymore.
He has put it rather succinctly, I also reload using a Dillon 550 for 40S&W, 9mm and 380. Just picked up dies for 45 to set up for sons favorite. It takes a while to get proficient with the right load for each bullet used in each caliber but once done it is a joy to produce more than you shoot that week. Stack it up for the off weeks and once added up you realized you are actually saving some money and preparing for later. Makes me smile when I put up another Ammo can with the rounds in vacuum sealed bags.:D

Reactions: MMinSC and halodub

·
Registered
17,950 Posts
I do around a dozen cost comparisons on various boards every year and I always compare to the absolute cheapest bulk ammo you can buy.

Why? Because if you don't, you'll immediately get a dozen people posting afterwards telling everyone how they can get ammo cheaper than that.

It's the best way to do a comparison for those people.

For people who demand the very best, like me and you, it's a different matter.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Target Sports has free shipping if you buy bulk. As Willard mentioned shipping is often a big factor in the cost and Target is free so I usually shop there first.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/40-sw-ammo-c-59.aspx
Yeah I agree with this. Buying by the case from TSU with free shipping is the best way to go. I just restarted loading 40 s&w myself, but it isn't really to save money.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I am a 40s&w fan and carry them a lot. Check out Speer Lawman for $11.50 at massammo. It's good quality ammo with brass cases. I shoot Sasquatch 40 a lot but they are out of stock.

https://massammo.com/handgun-ammo/40-s-w

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can load 40 cal for about 7.50 for 50rds my son-in-law was here today and loaded 1000rds in about 4hrs on my 550. it can cost to get started but it pay's off in the long run, after using my dillon today he said he was going home and selling his Lee:)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Reloading is a whole other hobby unto itself. I like it AT LEAST as much as shooting, maybe more. ;)

I just picked up 2000 pieces of once fired brass from Graf's for $67 shipped. (That is good, police range Speer brass too)

Plated bullets are cheap. ( I like Rainier 180 HP but they can be had cheaper )

Did I mention it's fun?
This good deal just got better. They are now offering it for $16 per thousand.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,030 Posts
If you enjoy reloading and don't count your time (labor) you can reload for less. Don't completely count your reloading equipment as a total write-off since there is a lot of value left in used reloading equipment. You also have to buy reloading components in bulk.

It is when you get into the less common ammunition or hard to get ammunition where reloading really pays for itself. I can almost always reload higher quality ammunition as a reduced cost even in 9mm and .40 if I don't count my labor cost.

Back when there was a shortage of ammunition, I never had a personal shortage. I did manage to buy about a thousand dollars worth of powder, bullets and primers just before the shortage took full effect. You could say I had my ear to the ground right after the school shooting and President Obama was re-elected.

Some folks don't like to reload, don't have a place to reload, and or work long hours or have family committments that take up all their free time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.