SIG Talk banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I’m guessing you must work for the company turning out these turds. Next.
What? That’s your rebuttal? A nonsensical accusation? Weak. You stumbled into this thread and spouted off some nonsense that wasn’t correct or even based in reality. Then you doubled down and claimed to be a professional applicator which either was complete BS or you had no idea what you were actually doing and don’t actually own or shoot firearms. I don’t know who did the work on the OPs pistol but I do know the wear is perfectly normal. It’s the same wear that myself and another poster in this thread showed in photos of our pistols. If you really did apply Cerakote professionally as you claim you’d know this wear is normal.

I’m not trying to be a ***** or be harsh but posting information that is obviously not correct and trying to stir the OP up into thinking his gun is messed up is wrong. There are a ton of new people on here who don’t know any better and you are posting misinformation and muddying the waters. Why?

·
Registered
574 Posts
What? That’s your rebuttal? A nonsensical accusation? Weak. You stumbled into this thread and spouted off some nonsense that wasn’t correct or even based in reality. Then you doubled down and claimed to be a professional applicator which either was complete BS or you had no idea what you were actually doing and don’t actually own or shoot firearms. I don’t know who did the work on the OPs pistol but I do know the wear is perfectly normal. It’s the same wear that myself and another poster in this thread showed in photos of our pistols. If you really did apply Cerakote professionally as you claim you’d know this wear is normal.

I’m not trying to be a * or be harsh but posting information that is obviously not correct and trying to stir the OP up into thinking his gun is messed up is wrong. There are a ton of new people on here who don’t know any better and you are posting misinformation and muddying the waters. Why?
Yes I used to professionally apply cerakote, yes I knew what I was doing. You pay someone to cerakote your stuff according to your own account. Who do you think is more likely to have a clue? 🤔

Yes that’s a ****** up cerakote job on his slide.

Not sorry you’re so worked up about it.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Yes I used to professionally apply cerakote, yes I knew what I was doing. You pay someone to cerakote your stuff according to your own account. Who do you think is more likely to have a clue? 🤔

Yes that’s a ** up cerakote job on his slide.

Not sorry you’re so worked up about it.

So my slides and the other guys slides are also messed up too? Also all the slide pics of Cerakote in google image search are also messed up as well? You know of a way to Cerakote the inside of slides to not show wear? Yet you were so successful you don’t still do it? 🧐

·
Registered
574 Posts

Since you want to claim to have any idea what you’re talking about, how about you examine this picture:

You can CLEARLY see a piece FLAKING off. It’s flaking off enough that the back side of it is shadowed in the picture. Properly applied cerakote does not flake as it wears. Nevermind the fact that in his picture you can see where it has flaked off of the underside of the slide rails in several areas which is not a wear area.

You don’t have a single clue what you’re talking about. Another idiot on the internet that thinks they know something yet you can’t even properly examine the photo evidence that was posted.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
That’s typical wear. Cerakote does crinkle and flake in those areas. If you look close at my pics you will see similar wear. Again, if you actually had anything to do with Cerakote you’d know this. The bottom of the slide and under the rails wear. Combine oils, grease, with unburnt powder, copper, and lead debris and you I’ll have a friction wear that will remove the Cerakote in sometimes large sections. This flaking happens and will not effect function as you claimed. I’m done arguing with you, there are thousands of pics on the internet that show you this. You made a BS claim, actually multiple BS claims, I called you on it and so far you’ve accused me of working for the company that did the Cerakote and called me an idiot to support your claims. Just stop, you’re not helping yourself.

Rectangle Office supplies Font Cylinder Wood

Gadget Bumper Tints and shades Wood Electronic device

Finger Gadget Material property Bumper Nail

·
Registered
574 Posts
You still can’t tell the difference between wear and an improperly applied finish flaking off.

Congratulations on bumping a 6 month old thread to make yourself look like a fool though.

Like I said before (and you avoided), I’m guessing you have something to do with the company that turned out this **** slide. Is business so bad from the **** quality that has continuously been turned out that you’re going 6 months back trying to save face?

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Marines bought special 1911's with a cerakote finish on them and under contract they had to be replaced when the cerakote flaked off. Keep in mind they were holstered for use in harsh environments yet the finish failed. The vendor replaced the affected guns and sold the damaged ones on the open market.

Quite the kerfuffle when it was known you could buy a service used DOD handgun outside the normal disposistion, which is basically a crusher.

Keep that in mind - a DOD contract firearm intended for harsh use with a cerakote finish, and nope, its not all that. It's a cosmetic paint finish irregardless of who puts it on. The best factory applications will wear off eventually. Cerakote is not "proof" against normal wear and tear. Only the top surface of metal can withstand that and even it will eventually wear down - it's a known fact DLC or Nickle Boron will eventually wear thru. But not as fast as cerakote.

When given the choice to finish an AR in an alternative color I wound up doing what the Army approved two years later. RATTLE CAN. Its removable, you can fix it as you wish, and you don't have to live with some trendy dystopian purple or Dewalt yellow atrocity. Highly ornamenental paint on firearms is a line in the sand for some folks. there is a blogger column called "Hot Gat or Fudd ****?" which highlights the extremes of taste in firearms.

Imagine the pawn shops in a few more years with a rainbow coalition of guns under the lights all sparkling their special shades of 1980s Christmas ornament purples, greens and metallics, all difficult to conceal, and even more out of style than blown dry hair, knee socks and short short running shorts.

Magenta metallic anyone?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance... I have never had a gun cerakote finished. Though I have had several of them NP3 plated. Why would you even paint (cerakote) the underside of a slide???? The factory finish would be superior to any paint. I would think the underside of the slide should be masked to prevent being painted there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got this P365 slide from Live Free Armory, and the color is worn off of the contact points after 50 rounds or so. Should this happen this quickly?
Yes, cerakote is a dog **** coating and wears quickly from holster use and metal rubbing against metal, maybe that's a little harsh, but it's not durable. Its cool for people who want "pretty" guns to post on social media but its really not a great coating. Something like DLC, Black Nitride, or NP3 will last way longer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cerakote is not as hard as other finishes BUT it can last if put on correctly. A friend of mine who does excellent Cerakote works, went to Cerakote certification school and his applications samples did not meet cerakote specs. He told me their is exact thickness and curing process. My advice is if you want cerakote get it done by someone certified by Cerakote.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cerakote does wear off, it's just an applied finish... But wear and flaking are different things. This is wear:

Rectangle Wood Electronic device Composite material Door

Automotive lighting Lcd projector Rectangle Automotive exterior Material property

The finish is abraded through friction in the holster or other "soft" surface, gets progressively thinner, and the substrate appears in the end. The finish doesn't peel or flake off.

This is due to poor application technique:

Textile Sleeve Wood Beige Dress shirt

Yes, it is caused by friction, but the finish doesn't adhere properly to the substrate. Sandblasting was done with the wrong grit or medium, or degreasing and degassing may have been insufficient, who knows. The bond between the substrate and the finish is supposed to be strong enough to hold through abrasion, allowing the surface to be cut or abraded without losing adherence to the substrate.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts