SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this P365 slide from Live Free Armory, and the color is worn off of the contact points after 50 rounds or so. Should this happen this quickly?

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
This is what mine looks like. Never had a hiccup.
Notice the exterior of slide has no wear tho and it lives its life in a holster on a hip.
Its dust & oil where it looks like wear on the exterior.
I wouldnt worry to much about wear in the area you showed.
Not sure how many rounds as I did so many 365's and swapped so many parts around got hard to keep track of. I would guess easily a 1000 thru this slide.
Its Armor Black cerakote.

Reactions: mdfd

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what mine looks like. Never had a hiccup.
Notice the exterior of slide has no wear tho and it lives its life in a holster on a hip.
Its dust & oil where it looks like wear on the exterior.
I wouldnt worry to much about wear in the area you showed.
Not sure how many rounds as I did so many 365's and swapped so many parts around got hard to keep track of. I would guess easily a 1000 thru this slide.
Its Armor Black cerakote.

View attachment 392408

View attachment 392409

View attachment 392410
Very helpful. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
What color is that you got there? Hard to tell in pics.
Can I see the outside of slide or maybe pistol 2gether?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
50 rounds ....No
the cerakote wasn't applied right...
looks like the prep was lacking...bad blasting or oil residues left behind...IMHO
I've cerakoted stuff that has lasted way longer with no flake off only burnishing caused by friction.

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is no surprise. I bought and built a couple of their cerakoted LR308 matched reciever sets years ago. Cerakote looked nice problem was they had filled the pin holes in the reciever to the point that they were almost closed . This was on both sets .They had sprayed the cerakote way too thick. Made it a real pain in the ***, having to ream out the holes and chase the threads on freshly cerakoted recievers. On top of that their cerakote was and apparently still is not durable. I looked at their slides for my last build but for those reasons I went with a Norsso this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Normal, cerakote is not as wear resistant as they make it out to be.

Great for corrosive resistance, but horrible for wear. Introduce friction and it won't last.
Would you say some minor cosmetic damage is almost inevitable after getting it coated? I was thinking about cerakote for my next purchase but I'm not sure now

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
If you want a durable finish get DLC, NP3+, Armor Lube etc. When you see the price difference all will be clear.
The performance difference is reflected equally as well.

NP3+ I think will be my next adventure. They claim if you do the entire pistol there is no need for any lube of any kind needed ever again.
Cleaning is always a breeze because nothing sticks to it.
Im just trying to wrap my head around the final appearance. It comes out a brushed/satin stainless look. I think I love it one day next day Meh..

Check it out if your interested...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Those saying that is wear, no that is not wear. That’s a bad finish coming off and it’s losing its protection. Those flakes coming off can also possibly present issues when it works it’s way in to parts of a gun that isn’t meant to run with it floating around.

Even if it is a $10 cerakote job it’s still expected it to be properly applied even if it didn’t cost $250. If you’re not going to do it right, don’t do it at all.

Cerakote is not as tough as some other finishes, and may not be the most ideal finish for slide applications, but when properly applied it does hold up very well. It should never flake off like that, it should wear just as any other finish that properly bonded to the metal.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Those saying that is wear, no that is not wear. That’s a bad finish coming off and it’s losing its protection. Those flakes coming off can also possibly present issues when it works it’s way in to parts of a gun that isn’t meant to run with it floating around.

Even if it is a $10 cerakote job it’s still expected it to be properly applied even if it didn’t cost $250. If you’re not going to do it right, don’t do it at all.

Cerakote is not as tough as some other finishes, and may not be the most ideal finish for slide applications, but when properly applied it does hold up very well. It should never flake off like that, it should wear just as any other finish that properly bonded to the metal.
Cerakote is a type of pant. It does not bond with metal at a molecular level so it can and will eventually wear down to the base material that it was coated on. This is especially true for high contact parts like slide edges, wear contact points like the slide grooves for the frame rails. Also, the Cerakote coming off is not going to have any sort of effect on function. Have you ever fired a gun before? When you fire a gun lots of unburnt powder, copper and lead flakes get all over the inside of your firearm. Some of the particulate is larger than little paint flakes. The finish on the guys pistol is a non-issue. It is typical wear and perfectly normal.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cerakote is a type of pant. It does not bond with metal at a molecular level so it can and will eventually wear down to the base material that it was coated on. This is especially true for high contact parts like slide edges, wear contact points like the slide grooves for the frame rails. Also, the Cerakote coming off is not going to have any sort of effect on function. Have you ever fired a gun before? When you fire a gun lots of unburnt powder, copper and lead flakes get all over the inside of your firearm. Some of the particulate is larger than little paint flakes. The finish on the guys pistol is a non-issue. It is typical wear and perfectly normal.
I used to apply cerakote professionally. Thanks for the “education” though 😂

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I used to apply cerakote professionally. Thanks for the “education” though 😂
Then you should know most of what you posted was wrong. Cerakote flaking off and effecting function, lol? Give me a break. If you were a professional you’d know that wear in those locations are perfectly normal and the other claims you made, like flakes of Cerakote causing reliability issues is just silly. I have over a dozen pistols that are cerakoted. They all look like the OPs slide.

This is an M18 slide that was finished last month in Cerakote Elite, Federal Standard Brown. It was applied by a certified Cerakote instructor. It only has 100 rounds through the slide since Cerakote. Guess what? Looks just like the OPs gun. Same wear, same location. Stop spreading incorrect and silly information.

Finger Cylinder Audio equipment Wind instrument Metal
Air gun Trigger Finger Gun barrel Bullet

Musical instrument Wood Nail Metal Fashion accessory

Wheel Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Auto part

1 - 20 of 32 Posts