Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I specifically requested the rails be taped off to preserve the anodizing."

Why?
Tip from a gunsmith. From what I understand the anodizing is what hardens the aluminum and can blasted off before a new finish is applied, exposing the soft aluminum below. Keeping it on the rails makes them wear longer and since it can't been seen from the outside it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Thanks for posting that! That's awesome, I had no idea they did that.
If I remember right I think some of the early ones were getting cerakote on the rails and I think they were wearing fast. But I don't really remember. Sig stopped coating the rails with cerakote because of the problems it was causing.
My entire frame is hard anodized under the cerakote. They just didn't cerakote the rails.

·
Registered
23,604 Posts
Here's a pic of my MK25 that was cerakoted from the factory. They did not cerakote the rails. Left them with just the hard anodized finish.
View attachment 129522
Thanks for posting that! That's awesome, I had no idea they did that.
If I remember right I think some of the early ones were getting cerakote on the rails and I think they were wearing fast. But I don't really remember. Sig stopped coating the rails with cerakote because of the problems it was causing.
My entire frame is hard anodized under the cerakote. They just didn't cerakote the rails.
They did indeed Cerakote the rails as well but it was still anodized under the Cerakote. There were issues with some guns (mostly 1911s, as I recall) where the Cerakote made the fit between frame and slide too tight. People were sending some in to have them lapped to slide properly. I think that SIG started leaving the Cerakote off the rails to eliminate this possibility. My MK25 D has Cerakote on the rails.

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
In my experience, Cerakote finishes a junk.

Granted, I've only seen one in the flesh and don't have any guns with that finish.

Maybe if the company would volunteer to refinish one of my guns for me so I could actually experience the finish and do a hands on review, I would be able to change my mind and promote them.

;)

Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
Registered
6,530 Posts

Granted, I've only seen one in the flesh and don't have any guns with that finish.

Maybe if the company would volunteer to refinish one of my guns for me so I could actually experience the finish and do a hands on review, I would be able to change my mind and promote them.
I've got two guns with cerakote and so far I haven't had any problems.
MK25
View attachment 129794
Custom Remington 700
View attachment 129802

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

:eek: Well considering your highly analytical scientific approach and ability to reserve personal judgement I'm surprised they aren't lining up! :lol: ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.