SIG Talk banner

Cerakote A Barrel?

4335 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  alexc051
The finish on the top of the barrel of my 229-40 has worn off. I cannot keep light corrosion off of it. Yes, I've tried everything under the sun. It keeps coming back.
1994 with about 30,000 round thru it. I don't want to replace it, it's incredibly accurate.
Thinking of having the barrel (exterior) cerakoted, but I'm not sure of the the wear. Has anyone on the forum had a barrel cerakoted? How is it wearing?
Thanks for the info.
Reactions: SlySleuth
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,082 Posts
Sig Texas, there is also nitriding, which is supposed to be superior to hard chroming, as far as wear resistance. I believe it's more "in" the metal, than "on" the metal.

Reactions: Edsel and SlySleuth

· Premium Member
14,244 Posts
How about Titanium Nitride? Very durable finish, used on cutting tools. Excellent rust inhibition properties and is a very thin surface treatment, we are talking single digit microns thick, unlike Cerakote, will have minimal impact on your lock up characteristics. Cerakote will wear off quickly. You see Titanium Nitride abbreviated often as TiN. That's how I would go.

· Registered
5,319 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: cdavis and Willard

· Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I have some research to do. Carbon Black (TiCN?) for $50 looks very interesting.

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,082 Posts
Sly Sleuth... better...

Edsel... Luv the Graphics...

Sig Texas... I believe a "rainbow" is available... could be perfect for those 238/938 models with that same theme going... but "Black" would probably be more appropriate...

Malicious Compliance... you are a "wealth" of information... I guess that's why you're a Super Moderator!!!

Reactions: SlySleuth

· Registered
79 Posts
Graphite black Cerakote is very durable and will take a beating. Yes, eventually it will start wearing but it takes a while. I use it quite a bit on barrels, I think works as good as Cerakote Micro Slick internal parts coating, but has that nice black look.

Cerakote is very easy to do yourself if you have a sandblaster and a good HLVP gun.

· Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned the 229 last night (200 + rounds thru it last weekend). Used Break Free, Ballistol and denatured alcohol to clean the barrel, then a light coating of EWG 2000. Back in the safe in a Remington pistol sock. I'm going to monitor it for a couple of weeks before making a decision on refinishing it. The only thing I did differently was using the Ballistol (trying a sample).
After doing some reading, it appears the PVD processes (TiN, TiCN, etc.) are some of the best choices for a refinish on the barrel.
If the rust does not reappear, I'll be a Ballistol user for life. If it returns I'll be looking for a more permanent solution.
Most curious that the rust only appears on the flat surface on top of the barrel. The "smile" on the barrel and the bore have never formed any rust. I need to use a bright light and a magnifier to do a closer inspection of the slide, but I don't think that's the culprit.
Rust never sleeps.

· Premium Member
14,244 Posts
I cleaned the 229 last night (200 + rounds thru it last weekend). Used Break Free, Ballistol and denatured alcohol to clean the barrel, then a light coating of EWG 2000. Back in the safe in a Remington pistol sock. I'm going to monitor it for a couple of weeks before making a decision on refinishing it. The only thing I did differently was using the Ballistol (trying a sample).
After doing some reading, it appears the PVD processes (TiN, TiCN, etc.) are some of the best choices for a refinish on the barrel.
If the rust does not reappear, I'll be a Ballistol user for life. If it returns I'll be looking for a more permanent solution.
Most curious that the rust only appears on the flat surface on top of the barrel. The "smile" on the barrel and the bore have never formed any rust. I need to use a bright light and a magnifier to do a closer inspection of the slide, but I don't think that's the culprit.
Rust never sleeps.
Rig grease might be the solution for you on top of the barrel hood. It has served me well in some difficult rust situations.

· Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm reading glowing reviews about EEZOX and Corrosion X. Anyone use either of these products?

· Registered
358 Posts
The finish on the top of the barrel of my 229-40 has worn off. I cannot keep light corrosion off of it. Yes, I've tried everything under the sun. It keeps coming back.
1994 with about 30,000 round thru it. I don't want to replace it, it's incredibly accurate.
Thinking of having the barrel (exterior) cerakoted, but I'm not sure of the the wear. Has anyone on the forum had a barrel cerakoted? How is it wearing?
Thanks for the info.
I just talked to a local shop that does this kind of work and he does not recommend doing the barrel. Cerakote does not stand up well enough but NP3 will as it is actually bonded with the steel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.