SIG Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is from an email I received from CCI regarding the unavailablity to this product. Here is what they say::rolleyes:

"... we are working 24/7 making and shipping ~3,000,000 rounds of rimfire. This has happened twice before and has lasted 1 - 1 1/2 years and we're into this just over 1 year and were starting to hear signs of it breaking loose. Hoarding is really taking place I consistently receive emails and calls with people looking for 5,000 to 1,000,000 rounds sent to their houses. When people start shooting what they buy, this current rush on ammunition will end."

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was in my local Walmart yesterday to do some shopping. I walked past the ammo case to see what they had. Not a single round of center fire or rim fire ammunition at all. Not a single round.

All they did have was a few boxes of shotgun shells in .410 gauge.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I believe what they told you. Looks like you don't (based on your rolleyes)? The bottleneck in the rimfire manufacturing process is priming the case. It is a very capital intensive process, only two, maybe three, facilities do it. All the rimfire ammo assemblers buy their primed cases from these few facilities.

ETA: This from Hallowell & Co. Illustrated Firearms Dictionary:

Rimfire cartridges have no separate replacable primer; their priming compound is spun by centrifugal force into the crevice of the hollow rim on sophisticated equipment in factories. Rimfire cartridges, such as the .22 Long Rifle, cannot be reloaded with consumer equipment, at home. Rimfire cartridges are detonated when the firing pin hits the edge of the base of the cartridge and pinches the priming compound between the folds of the rim.

http://www.hallowellco.com/primer.htm

·
Registered
53 Posts
cci mini mags have been the easiest for me to find.... cabelas has them every week on their website

1 - 4 of 4 Posts