SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and not sure if this is the right area to post so if I'm off, please let me know.

I'll be heading to a new indoor range in two weeks. I have never shot inside before. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for catching brass at an indoor range? I'm shooting a SIG M400 Enhanced. I'm also taking a couple of pistols (Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm and Kimberly Micro Crimson Carry).

I want to start reloading so I've been reading up on it and have a friend who is a competition shooterms and an experienced reloaded who I'm going to reloading with until I'm comfortable with doing it myself.

While I'd like the convenience of catching the brass, safety is my first concern. Am I better off letting the brass fall where it may and picking it up?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also new to the forum. Don't bother catching it just get a brass magnet to help clean up when your done. Cuts clean-up time in half.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Caldwell brass catcher for the rifle. There are 2 models im aware of. One has a couple prongs that slide in the top rail but may not work depending on your optic mount and location. I have the one that velcros around the foregrip at the front of the receiver. I leave mine unzipped and let the brass fall out. It tends to drag down after shells accumulate if you dont empty it frequently. At a bench they fall right in place. Standing and shooting they fall at my feet and i sweep them up. Beats the heck out of having some schmoe 4 lanes down sweeping my brass and tossing it. Im not aware of anything for pistols although Ive seen some net things rigged up. I never worry too much about pistol brass. I just try to sweep it kinda frequently and I always seem to come back with more than I brought. i do try to monitor where the brass ejects and try to keep it from flying too far away. Like staging in the stall where it bounces off the divider back at me instead of forward of the line or out behind me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Some of the indoor ranges around here won't let you collect your brass. I thinks it's their way of making extra money by recycling it themselves. Most of our indoor ranges don't allow rifles either. Needless to say I don't shoot at the indoor ranges around here.

As far as your rifle brass, just get one of these.

Caldwell Brass Catcher AR-15 Picatinny Rail Mount Nylon Mesh Black

Edit- it's one of the ones mentioned in the above post.

·
Premium Member
36,799 Posts
I am at work so will go into detail later.

I got a Wal mart laundry bag. Turned it upside down and cut one side halfway open.
I clip a garbage bag to the open bottom.
I set it on my range bag, and yesterday is typical.
I shot 250 rounds and it missed maybe 10. Half of that 10 I was able to pick up.

It folds up easy, and costs about 3 bucks total.
I posted all about it here so a search will find it.
I made a stand for it, but since just yes the range bag. Some ranges normal, and a couple I stand it on end to get higher.
I still carry the tripod, but don't use it.

·
Premium Member
36,799 Posts
On lunch break so I found my old thread.
What I am describing starts at post 3. I still have my first on pst 1 and 2 and I still use it outdoors. The pistol needs to be pretty close to it.

With the Wal mart bag distance can help, and each caliber has it's sweet spot.
Yesterday with 357sig, I needed to tilt it back because a few rounds went in and bounced back out.
Tilting fixed that.

http://sigtalk.com/ammo-reloading/45898-brass-catcher.html

I might add, I carry several sandwich bags. When I change caliber, I just empty the catcher into the sandwich baggie, and start clean.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
If you reloaded, you could tune the load to eject to more or less where you want it to land.

I do this with our guns and am legendary for standing behind Mrs. Flash and catching her empties in the air....90% of them anyway. It's also good for the reflexes.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
The local ranges here usually say they get to keep all brass, which you may also find to be the case, but as mentioned, there are a number of things for you to consider.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Caldwell brass catcher for the rifle. There are 2 models im aware of. One has a couple prongs that slide in the top rail but may not work depending on your optic mount and location. I have the one that velcros around the foregrip at the front of the receiver. I leave mine unzipped and let the brass fall out. It tends to drag down after shells accumulate if you dont empty it frequently. At a bench they fall right in place. Standing and shooting they fall at my feet and i sweep them up. Beats the heck out of having some schmoe 4 lanes down sweeping my brass and tossing it. Im not aware of anything for pistols although Ive seen some net things rigged up. I never worry too much about pistol brass. I just try to sweep it kinda frequently and I always seem to come back with more than I brought. i do try to monitor where the brass ejects and try to keep it from flying too far away. Like staging in the stall where it bounces off the divider back at me instead of forward of the line or out behind me.

This! And here I thought I was a genius for doing the same thing. Great minds, huh?

·
Premium Member
36,799 Posts
The local ranges here usually say they get to keep all brass, which you may also find to be the case, but as mentioned, there are a number of things for you to consider.
I have heard people say that. If you buy your own bullets and shoot them, you still own that brass. They might say that but I guarantee I have talked to enough ranges, they won't stand behind stealing your brass.

The deal with it hitting the ground is, then who can tell.
Each range I have taken my catcher to, range officers have watched how it works, and most of the time they bring me the few stray rounds.
They have all been great about it.

Reactions: Digitaldaydream
1 - 10 of 10 Posts