SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious how hard or how much of a pain it is to carry .. also how you approach it.

lets say you are out running errands and going to 3-4 stores, walking to them all ... think strip mall.

Do you just store your gun in the car?
Do you risk it and try to carry in all stores knowing 1 of them may have the sign up not allowing it? Then what?

Just curious how you handle the day to day?

Also, not shopping there or not going to the stores is not really an option.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Your gun isn't going to do any good in the car. I don't know about Texas law but here in Florida if you have a Carry Permit you can carry anywhere. ( except gov buildings . Post office courts ect.) caring your firearm should be like 2nd nature. Just like you carry your wallet or watch. Local establishments can not trump state law. Sometimes I forget and carry into post office. I think you can get in big trouble for doing so. In a bar you can sit at a table but not walk up to the bar. I always carry. I don't look for no weapon notices on doors. If they ask me to leave I will gladly take my business elsewhere. Although it has never happened.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
I carry everywhere that my permit legally allows. If I must enter an establishment that "posts", I do so since in my state it isn't illegal to do so. I only leave my sidearm in my car if I'm entering a legally restricted area.

CC takes effort to equip, train, educate and execute properly but that's not to say that it's hard. IMO, it's certainly worth the effort.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, it should become 2nd nature.
In Texas though it is a Class A misdemeanor which could be:
$500-$4000 fine
1 year jail time
community service

so if you run into a real dick of a store owner, are you really willing to risk 1 year jail time? If you get sent to jail you cant carry :)

People are still super weird about guns these days ... so just curious

·
Registered
71 Posts
Never store the gun in the car unless I really have to due to the repercussions if it were stolen in the communist state I live in (MA). Though, one benefit we have is signs are not binding so pretty much as long as it isn't a school or federal building you can carry anywhere.

·
Registered
680 Posts
theduke carrying is similar to anything else, the more you do it the more it will just become second nature to you.

With that said though you would be amazed how many people carry uncomfortably and just learn to live with it. Picking the right size gun for you, how you dress, your carry position, the type of holster, type of belt etc all play a part in the security and comfort levels of your carrying.

Ive been carrying off and on for around 25 yrs and continue to try new things. If I find anything at all thats a bit more comfortable than I switch to it. You wouldnt believe how many people buy a $500-1,000 gun then stick it in a $30 holster and just get used to its discomfort.

Your question though pertains more to concern about printing or someone seeing your gun. No matter how secure you might be that is a beginner concern we all go through. The concern goes away with time as you become comfortable with carrying.

For me I have altered my dress a bit for carrying. Rather than going out with just a tshirt I will now wear 2 layers. This not only helps hide the firearm but makes things more comfortable such as your gun and holster not rubbing directly against skin. I get my clothes one size larger and say if Im wearing a button down shirt it will have snaps instead of buttons.

I usually wear a full sized gun w 2 extra mags in a shoulder rig under a simple button down type shirt. Even when there are times that I personally can see that im printing, no one else has ever noticed. Again its just one of those things that time will take for you to get used too.

My biggest problem really as far as people noticing Im carrying isnt actually them seeing it, its them feeling it. Just those situations where people would hug or touch you. You learn to block w the low hug and such but it still remains challenging

Reactions: Tenring and FLASIG

·
Premium Member
22,526 Posts
Duke, in TX there are not many 30:06 signs restricting concealed carry.
If a business doesn't want carry customers, then they don't want my money.

You know you can't carry in a 51% place such a a bar.
You can't carry in the court house.

But other than those you are pretty much good to go.
Walk with confidence!
Please don't be leaving your gun in the car if you don't absolutely have to.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Only time I leave it in the car is when going to federal/state building (post office, courthouse, army installation). During the week I work on post so I never get to carry unless I'm running errands after work. I carry ever chance I can once I'm away from work.

As ThnkFrst said, there is a lot involved with the training and preparation that could make it seem "hard" but it really is not hard. It is something new that you will have to practice time and time again until it becomes permanent. If possible, find a friend, spouse, or family member to look and see if they can see it printing. When I first started I could "see" I was printing but my wife could never "see" it. Most people you run into day in and day out are oblivious.

If that store can legally ban you from carrying inside, see if there is another alternative store to go, or just go to the others first and then last so you can leave the gun in the car.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I pretty much always carry except where I can't. That's the only time my gun is left in the car. There's not that many places here I can't carry. I'm stopping by the annex court house today to get my registration sticker for my scotter; I'll leave my gun in the car for that.

Carry On.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Only time I leave it in the car is when going to federal/state building (post office, courthouse, army installation).
Just to keep in mind (for any that may not already know), even leaving a firearm in your car on a post office property is illegal unless its a shared parking lot with other businesses.

Reactions: Steal2B

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Just to keep in mind (for any that may not already know), even leaving a firearm in your car on a post office property is illegal unless its a shared parking lot with other businesses.
This is true. All the more reason to make sure your weapon is SECURED in your auto, not in visible view from the outside.

Postal Inspectors do NOT have the right to inspect your automobile. Police cannot enter a auto without a Warrant.

So if it isn't visible from the windows, and if it is in a secured space, you are not at risk.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
How hard is it to carry ?? Is as hard as you make it or as easy and natural as you make it but there will always be a short a learning curve to be comfortable with any changes you make over the years .

As far as good to the strip mall ! Learn what legal signage is in texas. YOu have a 3006 and a 3007 sign and it has to met a size to be legal . If not legal sign then go on in . If your carrying concealed and doing it well know one will know including your best friends .

I have 29 years of concealed carry and have friends I have hunted with , worked with and just been friends with that did not know I CC'd till they asked me about getting a CC and I showed them mine after 25 year had gone by .

I do keep a small fort knox safe with a simplex lock in each vehicle for the couple occasions I have to disarm like for a government building or hospital

·
Registered
680 Posts
This is true. All the more reason to make sure your weapon is SECURED in your auto, not in visible view from the outside.

Postal Inspectors do NOT have the right to inspect your automobile. Police cannot enter a auto without a Warrant.

So if it isn't visible from the windows, and if it is in a secured space, you are not at risk.
Just my opinion but at that point I think you are safer just leaving concealed on you rather that take the chance of anyone seeing you unholstering and hiding in the car

·
Premium Member
4,957 Posts
The 5 Stages of CCW

STAGE 1 - DENIAL: Didn't see why I needed to CCW, never needed it before.

STAGE 2 - ANGER: Read far too many stories about innocent people being killed and wounded by criminals and crazies, who might have lived if they had a means to defend themselves.

STAGE 2 - BARGAINING: Took the Course to try and see if I could do it.

STAGE 3 - DEPRESSION: Bitching about how damned uncomfortable it was to carry this hunk of steel around everywhere. All the money spent trying guns, Holsters, ammo, clothing, etc. All the damned time I spent cruising Forums for information...and I've never once had to use it.

STAGE 4 - ACCEPTANCE: It became normal and I accepted Condition 1 CCW as the Standard. Finally found Holsters I like, and clothes that kept my secret safe. Finally stopped getting nervous about walking around Malls and ignoring signs because they don't have the force of law unless you refuse to leave when asked IF THEY FIND OUT I'M ARMED, which they won't because CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
I carry a 220 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I haven't seen a "no guns" sign anywhere I go in a few years, but then I don't go places where I know they exist, like Red Robin burgers or some of the hippie vegan stores.

I also won't go to a doctor who's posted, but then I keep hearing about some who are but I've never seen one personally.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The 5 Stages of CCW

STAGE 1 - DENIAL: Didn't see why I needed to CCW, never needed it before.

STAGE 2 - ANGER: Read far too many stories about innocent people being killed and wounded by criminals and crazies, who might have lived if they had a means to defend themselves.

STAGE 2 - BARGAINING: Took the Course to try and see if I could do it.

STAGE 3 - DEPRESSION: Bitching about how damned uncomfortable it was to carry this hunk of steel around everywhere. All the money spent trying guns, Holsters, ammo, clothing, etc. All the damned time I spent cruising Forums for information...and I've never once had to use it.

STAGE 4 - ACCEPTANCE: It became normal and I accepted Condition 1 CCW as the Standard. Finally found Holsters I like, and clothes that kept my secret safe. Finally stopped getting nervous about walking around Malls and ignoring signs because they don't have the force of law unless you refuse to leave when asked IF THEY FIND OUT I'M ARMED, which they won't because CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED.
Amen to this post!

Ron

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I was curious how hard or how much of a pain it is to carry .. also how you approach it.

lets say you are out running errands and going to 3-4 stores, walking to them all ... think strip mall.

Do you just store your gun in the car?
Do you risk it and try to carry in all stores knowing 1 of them may have the sign up not allowing it? Then what?

Just curious how you handle the day to day?

Also, not shopping there or not going to the stores is not really an option.
Most stores in a strip mall do not have signs prohibiting carry, once in a while you will see a 30.07 sign for open carry, but it has become apparent now that this has been a non-issue, even the SA police chief recently said they haven't even had a call regarding it.

You just learn the places that have 30.06 signs and don't go there, they don't deserve your money.

I just refuse to go into a place that would rather disarm their customers and put them at risk.

Leaving in the car should be a last resort, even with a post office there are other ways ship packages and send mail, I just don't go there.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Duke, Dude, you are considering carrying in Texas legally. Most of us have been carrying since we were walking here anyhow (regardless of laws, especially growing up in a small Texas town where I had a rifle or shotgun in a rack in my truck).

So hang up any hang ups you might have about where you carry. I hardly even look now, because I can carry pretty much anywhere here (except bars, courthouses or schools, of course).

I found the Wally World walk that so many talked about is such a non-issue here to be laughable.

Even when I use an OWB I don't really give it much of a thought. Find a holster that you are comfortable with and a shirt that kinda hides it, and go with it.
'
'The only time I ever saw anyone question carry here was when my wife cousin was trying on clothes and he had his CCW sitting on his pants in a Bananna Republic and the staff called the mall cops. I thought this was really funny, because here the mall cops were questioning a Houston SWAT cop. It was a non event even then.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Pretty much the only places my gun doesn't go is onto a military base, into government buildings, or onto school grounds. Otherwise, (when I'm not in bed asleep) my gun is in my pocket holster or on my side OWB in condition 1. I carry in all the stores where I shop, in movie theaters, in banks, etc. Simply, unless it's illegal to carry, I do. I have a small, mobile gun vault for my car that I can use to store my handgun, but I rarely need to use it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.