SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last two range trips my 227 stayed home; I've been shooting my new HK. It's still cool enough here that my EDC is my 227. Got home yesterday evening after about a six hr. carry with my 227 and gave her a glance.

It's time. I noticed an excessive amount of dust at the base of the hammer. I'll do a field strip and an easy while down.

Who else cleans even if they haven't fired a shot?
Just curious.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Who else cleans even if they haven't fired a shot?
Just curious.
I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to the range in a couple months, work and family stuff.

I have, however, cleaned my EDC twice. I usually do it once a month regardless.

Reactions: Mike55 and Big Cape

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My carry gets wiped down at least every 2 weeks if I haven't gotten to the range but that isn't very often .. If it hasn't been fired it gets wiped down .. if its fired at the range its cleaned that night ..

I always shoot the mag in my carry gun and then rotate my other mag's .. the one in my Jeep to my off side and the one on my off side in my pistol and then load the empty and it goes in the Jeep ..

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'll take the time just about every day to blow the lint from around the hammer, trigger, and controls as I unholster it everyday to put my pancake holster on my belt in the mornings. Just makes it easier without the weight of the gun. On rainy days when I am board I'll do a field strip and relube every other month or so if I haven't shot it. If any rounds, even one, I will clean it. Every six months or so, fired or not, I will do a complete frame strip and clean.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use those cans of compressed air they sell in a 4 pack at Sam's Club for cleaning electronics to keep the lint and dust blown off my carry gun every few days. I also keep a pack of those gun baby wipes (Tetra brand) on the night stand next to the safe to give a quick wipe down if I sweated all over her or something that day. I only field strip and clean the barrel if I shot it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't Forget the Holster

In addition to cleaning your EDC (like you, I clean after a range session or when it appears to get dusty), don't overlook your EDC holster. I looked into my Kydex holster a couple of weeks ago, after months of IWB carry, and, holy cow, was it dusty-dirty. So now I am checking both my EDC and my holster.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
When mine has collected about as much lint as my belly button, I clean it. :lol:

Reactions: 34817 and Big Cape

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
I'll give it a cleaning but it's more of just a wipe down to remove dust and lint.
Sometimes I just take a can of compressed air and blast it out a bit.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
7,202 Posts

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Check mine a couple of times a week and clean as needed. Cooler weather and a flannel shirt call for cleaning more often. Thanks for bring up this topic.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I clean often, but basically never go without being fired. I make it a ritual to fire my EDCs 100 rounds a month and keep records to make sure all are in order. I have recently retired my Kimber Solo that I had replaced the recoil spring about 20 times, it got to the point where I had so much time invested that I hated to give up trying. My only firearm that I truly have a love/hate relationship with.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I inspect my gun routinely, and I look for things like any sort of build up whether it be from skin dust building up in little cracks, or whether it be just dirt from the atmosphere that seems to just collect out of nowhere. I will break it down and give it a quick cleaning and put it back together. No set schedule, just as I see it is required.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
I carried a XDs45 a few summers back and learned the hard way that my EDC requires routine cleaning. In dismay, I found that the body side of the grips had formed rust at the roll pins. I replaced the pins with stainless pins and started a routine wipe down with an oil rag to keep any harm from my carry. Perhaps I'm just extra acidic but it's a good precaution to give the gun a little love each day. I don't carry the Springfield any longer but that oiling regiment continues for whatever I'm carrying. Easy to do and only takes a second.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My routine is weekly inspection and wiping down with CLP. About once a month, usually the first weekend of each month. I do a field strip and wipe down everything with CLP and apply Grease where needed. This is if I don't take it to the range. If it goes to the range. Then a detailed cleaning is required before it goes back in its holster.
A gun that is carried is exposed to elements that make most guns rust if left alone. Not to mention the dust and sweat from hands here in the South-West.
I may one day ask my gun to save my life or protect my family. I want to make sure I have done everything possible to make sure it will function 100 percent. Cleaning my gun is a small chore that may make a difference in the rest of my life.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'll usually clean by Carrie wants a month preferably before I go to the range just to ensure that it functions properly . Occasionally I'll wipe it down with a seasoned microfiber rag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts