SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I'm a new guy here, but not to SIGs. I've owned and shot them for over 20 years. I saw other threads here with similar issues to mine, so I thought I'd ask here.

So here's the issue. I have an R1 P320 VTAC (with the slide lightening cuts, no optic plate). I have been meaning to make it into an SC sized pistol for a while. I bought a no-rail SC grip module a year or two ago and just finally got around to picking up the rest.

To that end, I ordered a coyote tan X-Compact slide directly from SIG. I also ordered the 3.6" barrel and the SC sized recoil assembly at the same time.

My issue is that I can't assemble all of the parts together. I learned the trick about orienting the SC recoil assembly the right way, and I can get the slide alllllllmost all the way on to the FCU, but it stops a few mm from being able to lock it to the rear *every* time. I have tried this with the FCU in the SC grip and in the original X-carry grip from the VTAC. I can get the VTAC slide onto the FCU no problem with either gripframe, but any time I try to put the X-Compact slide on, it stops just a few mm short of working.

It isn't a matter of the recoil assembly hanging up from being sideways, because a) I know about that trick, and b) if I put the VTAC slide on the same FCU, it and the SC slide get to the same point in rearward travel before the spring starts being pushed on.

Pictures:

This is how far the X-Compact slide will go on to the SC frame with no resistance from the recoil assembly.

This is as far as the slide will travel rearward. It hits some kind of hard stop at this point. As you can see this is just a few mm short of being able to lock it to the rear. (I know the takedown lever is at 6 and not 7 in this pic, but I have tried in both positions and even rotating slightly during assembly and it doesn't work in any case.)

Here's the recoil assembly and barrel installed in the X-Compact slide. I've got it the right way up (I think).

FWIW, I've never held an X-Compact / SC recoil assembly before, but are they supposed to have smaller flats on the top and bottom as well? If this one does, they are *tiny*.

The VTAC slide / barrel / recoil assembly work just fine on the FCU in either grip frame, but the X-Compact slide / barrel / recoil assembly won't work on either one.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Two thoughts:

1) Take the slide assy off the SC lower, rotate the TD lever a bit to find the exact position that results in the flat of the block being perfectly in line with the slide assy for mac clearance during slide assy install

2) Assemble the slide assy onto the lower UPSIDE down to prevent gravity from potentially causing the RSA/barrel from shifting position

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Is the Slide & FCU both Upgraded?
If you just purchased the Slide then I imagine it has the notch in the Slide by the Striker for the Upgraded FCU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two thoughts:

1) Take the slide assy off the SC lower, rotate the TD lever a bit to find the exact position that results in the flat of the block being perfectly in line with the slide assy for mac clearance during slide assy install
I've tried that (it's perfectly flat at closer to 6 o'clock) and it doesn't make a difference.

2) Assemble the slide assy onto the lower UPSIDE down to prevent gravity from potentially causing the RSA/barrel from shifting position
I've tried that also, though given how tightly the recoil assembly fits in there I don't see how gravity could have been shifting it at all. In any case, it doesn't seem to help.

Is the Slide & FCU both Upgraded?
If you just purchased the Slide then I imagine it has the notch in the Slide by the Striker for the Upgraded FCU.
Yeah, they're both post-upgrade. I got the slide from SIG last week.

The only difference in the underside of the two (other than length) is that mine has the mass removal / lightening cut since it's a VTAC. It's like the one shown here:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190414/c4a22f07ab7dfec25fe78ba48720d94b.jpg
(not my pic, from a Calguns ad, but the slides are the same - there's a long cut on the side opposite the milling for the disconnector that's there to lighten the slide).

Everything feels totally normal right up until the slide gets to the furthest rearmost part of it's travel, and then just before it would be fully to the rear it just stops and won't move any further. It's very strange.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Try pulling STRAIGHT UP on the slide assy as it approaches the rear most point at which it hangs... If you've already tried that, try it again...

Also, confirm that your new X-compact slide actually has the disconnector pocket milled into it... Post pics of both the pocket on the slide and the bird's head of the DC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try pulling STRAIGHT UP on the slide assy as it approaches the rear most point at which it hangs... If you've already tried that, try it again...
I'll give that a try, but what do you think that would do? There isn't much vertical play in the slide rails beyond a few thousandths.

Also, confirm that your new X-compact slide actually has the disconnector pocket milled into it... Post pics of both the pocket on the slide and the bird's head of the DC.
The new slide has the disconnector pocket. All of the X-series slides do, and I literally bought this one brand new from SIG last week. They're not selling anything that's not upgrade-compatible. I don't see how the disconnector could be the issue here anyways - the slide travels rearward past where it would engage anyways. The FCU has the DC, the slide has the pocket for it.

Rotate the rear of the recoil spring assembly 90 degrees.

See page 598 of the instruction manual.

https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/OPERATORS-MANUAL-P320-8501909-01-REV05-LR.pdf
I have the recoil assembly rotated the proper way as shown in my picture, which matches the one on page 58 (which is what I think you meant) of the manual. I actually checked my paper manual to make sure I wasn't being an idiot.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The new slide has the disconnector pocket. All of the X-series slides do, and I literally bought this one brand new from SIG last week. They're not selling anything that's not upgrade-compatible. I don't see how the disconnector could be the issue here anyways - the slide travels rearward past where it would engage anyways. The FCU has the DC, the slide has the pocket for it.

We're well aware of that, but that doesn't mean yours didn't slip through QC without the pocket milled in the slide.

How do you know the DC's bird's head isn't getting bound up due to some QC issue? Had you posted pics of the rears of the two slides and the FCU where the milled pocket and DC are, this discussion would've been easier for you and us.

I'm out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
We're well aware of that, but that doesn't mean yours didn't slip through QC without the pocket milled in the slide.
Right, but I do know the difference between a slide with the pocket and one without. Mine *definitely* has the pocket.

How do you know the DC's bird's head isn't getting bound up due to some QC issue? Had you posted pics of the rears of the two slides and the FCU where the milled pocket and DC are, this discussion would've been easier for you and us.
I don't know that for sure, and it's part of why I am here asking you guys questions. Thanks for the 'tude, though.

What I do know for sure is that the slide travels rearward well past where the disconnector would have the opportunity to hang up on anything, unless I am completely missing something.

It's funny, because I just came here to post this picture:

Old VTAC slide on the top, new X-Compact slide on the bottom. As you can see, both of them have the disconnector pocket. The VTAC FCU has the disconnector in it, and it works properly. I've got thousands of rounds through that pistol with never an issue.

I'm out.
Ok?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I just tried a spare takedown lever that I have in place of the original one and that didn't make any difference.

I'm starting to wonder if either the X-Compact slide or the new recoil assembly are out of spec a little. My bet would be the recoil assembly, since if I assemble the gun without that in there the slide travels back to lock easily.

I may have to end up calling SIG, which I'm not looking forward to since their wait times are as nuts as everybody else's right now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi all:
I'm a new guy here, but not to SIGs. I've owned and shot them for over 20 years. I saw other threads here with similar issues to mine, so I thought I'd ask here.
So here's the issue. I have an R1 P320 VTAC (with the slide lightening cuts, no optic plate). I have been meaning to make it into an SC sized pistol for a while. I bought a no-rail SC grip module a year or two ago and just finally got around to picking up the rest.
To that end, I ordered a coyote tan X-Compact slide directly from SIG. I also ordered the 3.6" barrel and the SC sized recoil assembly at the same time.
My issue is that I can't assemble all of the parts together. I learned the trick about orienting the SC recoil assembly the right way, and I can get the slide alllllllmost all the way on to the FCU, but it stops a few mm from being able to lock it to the rear *every* time. I have tried this with the FCU in the SC grip and in the original X-carry grip from the VTAC. I can get the VTAC slide onto the FCU no problem with either gripframe, but any time I try to put the X-Compact slide on, it stops just a few mm short of working.
It isn't a matter of the recoil assembly hanging up from being sideways, because a) I know about that trick, and b) if I put the VTAC slide on the same FCU, it and the SC slide get to the same point in rearward travel before the spring starts being pushed on.
Pictures:

This is how far the X-Compact slide will go on to the SC frame with no resistance from the recoil assembly.

This is as far as the slide will travel rearward. It hits some kind of hard stop at this point. As you can see this is just a few mm short of being able to lock it to the rear. (I know the takedown lever is at 6 and not 7 in this pic, but I have tried in both positions and even rotating slightly during assembly and it doesn't work in any case.)

Here's the recoil assembly and barrel installed in the X-Compact slide. I've got it the right way up (I think).
FWIW, I've never held an X-Compact / SC recoil assembly before, but are they supposed to have smaller flats on the top and bottom as well? If this one does, they are *tiny*.
The VTAC slide / barrel / recoil assembly work just fine on the FCU in either grip frame, but the X-Compact slide / barrel / recoil assembly won't work on either one.
Any thoughts?

How about when you replace the retaining rod, are you 100% positive it is fully inserted as sometimes the rod has difficulty to pass into the far side of the grip.
It must be flush on the grip not looking close but flush.

The very first time I installed a FCu on new grip it too some force and twisting to insert in far side of grip. Now it inserts easier and in my case no broken nails.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Leatherstocking, I believe I know where you're issue lies. It is both the FCU chassis/frame and your RSA (hear me out). The outer recoil spring may be binding up on the front part of your FCU. Here is a test to check: a) Remove your FCU and takedown lever; b) Take the outer recoil side of your RSA and insert it into the front area of your FCU near the front slide rails (picture attached to give an idea). If you have to press the RSA into that area with some force, then that may be where the binding is. The RSA should be moving freely in that area and should not be squeezed by the FCU chassis. Additional pictures I've uploaded show one RSA squished and held up by the FCU, and another RSA that is not binding. When everything is put together, a small length of the outer spring travels in that area when the slide moves rearward. I have several sub-compact RSAs and one of them gives me this issue, but here is the kicker: it only happens to one of my FCUs. When I check that same RSA in my other FCUs, there is no binding/squeezing of the outer recoil spring and I can pull the slide backwards without much resistance. When I coupled the RSA with the FCU that confines it, I had to give my slide some extra pull strength to get it to the slide catch. So far that firearm cycles properly and I don't have an issue with the slide locking to the rear. I kept my RSA, but it sounds like the RSA you have may be way out of tolerance and would most likely need to be exchanged. Hope this information helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about when you replace the retaining rod, are you 100% positive it is fully inserted as sometimes the rod has difficulty to pass into the far side of the grip.
It must be flush on the grip not looking close but flush.

The very first time I installed a FCu on new grip it too some force and twisting to insert in far side of grip. Now it inserts easier and in my case no broken nails.
The takedown lever is definitely inserted all the way - the funny thing is that it's actually easier to insert into the SC grip module than the X-Carry one that came with the VTAC. It's inserted to the point where it touches inside the little groove on the left side of the gun, and the other side is flush where it exits on the right. Thanks for the idea, though!

Leatherstocking, I believe I know where you're issue lies. It is both the FCU chassis/frame and your RSA (hear me out). The outer recoil spring may be binding up on the front part of your FCU. Here is a test to check: a) Remove your FCU and takedown lever; b) Take the outer recoil side of your RSA and insert it into the front area of your FCU near the front slide rails (picture attached to give an idea). If you have to press the RSA into that area with some force, then that may be where the binding is. The RSA should be moving freely in that area and should not be squeezed by the FCU chassis. Additional pictures I've uploaded show one RSA squished and held up by the FCU, and another RSA that is not binding. When everything is put together, a small length of the outer spring travels in that area when the slide moves rearward. I have several sub-compact RSAs and one of them gives me this issue, but here is the kicker: it only happens to one of my FCUs. When I check that same RSA in my other FCUs, there is no binding/squeezing of the outer recoil spring and I can pull the slide backwards without much resistance. When I coupled the RSA with the FCU that confines it, I had to give my slide some extra pull strength to get it to the slide catch. So far that firearm cycles properly and I don't have an issue with the slide locking to the rear. I kept my RSA, but it sounds like the RSA you have may be way out of tolerance and would most likely need to be exchanged. Hope this information helps.
Holy ****, that may be it. Thank you so much!

I just pulled the FCU and the SC RSA, and reversed them like you said. The larger spring is *definitely* binding up on the inside of the FCU - like it won't fit in there *at all*.

I don't have another FCU (yet) that I can easily test this RSA with, so I suppose a call to SIG is in order now about this RSA.

Thank you so much again!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, SIG customer service is great these days.

One call to them, on hold for about three minutes, and after a five minute conversation they've got a replacement RSA on the way to me, free.

Hopefully this solves the problem, but I'll report back when I get the new one in case anyone else ever runs in to this problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts