SIG Talk banner

Canadian military adopting the SIG P320

559 12
The Canadian military will soon be ending its 80-year love affair with domestically made Browning Hi-Powers in lieu of a more modular 9mm pistol from SIG Sauer.

Maybe a used Browning Hi-power market opening up soon?

Air gun Trigger Plant Gun barrel Gun accessory

The contract, announced last week by Anita Anand, Canada's Minister of National Defense, is valued at $3.2 million (USD) and will be for an initial batch of 7,000 P320 handguns with an option for up to 9,500. The pistols, type classified as the C22 in Canadian service, will equip the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy, and Military Police.
It is not immediately known which model P320 the Canadian military is adopting but it is likely to be similar to the American M17 model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Super Moderator
The Inglis made Hi-Power pistols (produced during WW-II in Toronto Canada) are an interesting variation.

Most were sold to the British and the Chinese. They are not strictly Hi-Power pistols in that they were not made under license from FN, nor made directly from the Hi-Power plans created by FN or Browning in their partnership and collaboration.

This sample Canadian made Inglis Hi-Power was made for the Chinese contract:

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

The Hi-Power was the last design John Browning worked on, and he was at the FN factory in Liege working on the pistol at the time he died. Other master gunsmiths he was collaborating with finished the design and it was produced briefly by FN before Belgium was overrun by the Germans. I was part of a symposium a few years ago that lectured about this and the Mauser relationship with FN:

Part 6 discusses the Mauser and FN relationship, and has views of the factory.

Inglis actually reverse engineered and copied the FN pistol from models they possessed, and they did it in the inch system rather than the metric system that the pistols were originally designed in in Liege. For that reason, the parts are not completely interchangeable.

Reactions: Hammer and Lexie__M

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Inglis made Hi-Power pistols (produced during WW-II in Toronto Canada) are an interesting variation.
Most were sold to the British and the Chinese. They are not strictly Hi-Power pistols in that they were not made under license from FN, nor made directly from the Hi-Power plans created by FN or Browning in their partnership and collaboration.
This sample Canadian made Inglis Hi-Power was made for the Chinese contract:

View attachment 490080

Inglis actually reverse engineered and copied the FN pistol from models they possessed, and they did it in the inch system rather than the metric system that the pistols were originally designed in in Liege. For that reason, the parts are not completely interchangeable.
It been a long time since I've see a Hi-power with artillery sights. When I brought my Hi-power they tried to sell me an artillery Hi-power (no stock) but I brought the adjustable sights model.

LOL, that's funny reverse engineer metric to imperial measurements.
Do you know how well the Canadian Hi-powers were?

Super Moderator
They were extremely well made. The ones used by Canadian forces have obviously been in service for over 80 years.

The original Hi-Power from FN had this style sights, and they were only simplified to reduce costs later when the factory continued to made them under German control after Belgium had been captured during WW-II.

Reactions: Lexie__M

Registered
The Canadian military will soon be ending its 80-year love affair with domestically made Browning Hi-Powers in lieu of a more modular 9mm pistol from SIG Sauer.

Maybe a used Browning Hi-power market opening up soon?

View attachment 489930

The contract, announced last week by Anita Anand, Canada's Minister of National Defense, is valued at $3.2 million (USD) and will be for an initial batch of 7,000 P320 handguns with an option for up to 9,500. The pistols, type classified as the C22 in Canadian service, will equip the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy, and Military Police.
It is not immediately known which model P320 the Canadian military is adopting but it is likely to be similar to the American M17 model.

That M18 is a good-looking pistol.

Registered
Always thought canucks are crazy.I mean who believes in Sasquatch?:seeya:
What are you talking about. You鈥檙e saying there鈥檚 no Sasquatch? If you watched any TV you would know how foolish that statement is. I just saw a commercial with the Abominable Snowman. He bought a hair dryer from Amazon, then went to a party. If not not mistaken they are the same creature living in different places. Just saying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts