SIG Talk banner

Can I drift the rear sight of the Mark 25/

854 4
I need to realign the rear sight of the p226 9mm Mark 25. The front sight sits visibly in a dove tail slot. I don't see a slot for the rear sight in the slide. Can I drift that sight?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
A suggestion for working on firearms:

I suggest that you visit a quality machine shop in you area to purchase 6" lengths of a variety of diameters of white UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) Polyethylene Rod. Go to the area of "drops" and buy the closest length without paying a cutting charge. They may charge you once for several cuts, BUT that could be $5-$15. Just buy short lengths for a few dollars total. Diameters from 1/8", 1/4', 3/8", 1/2" should cover you for everything. This material is available on line as well, but cutting and shipping charges makes it more costly. The smaller diameters may need to be shorter for rigidity to function, but 1/2 foot will make them happy.

Brass rod is obviously stiffer, and will transfer the hammer blow more efficiently, but the "plastic" will be less stressful. If your machine shop has 1/8" and 1/4" diameter rod, purchase it also. Brazing rod and/or brass rod will come in many diameters and a 6" piece is probably free from the welding shop, but it will leave a mark on the black metal if the position and hammer blow is not inline precisely.

You can dress, true, the ends with a file. Sharp 90* to start.

A flat piece of sheet goods of UHMW, in any thickness, about 6"-8" square is a nice surface to work on. Vinyl flooring scrap is also a good surface. The hardwood dining table is really good, but the activity will leave a mark, which upsets many people.

Lay the slide on its' side upon the surface and give the sight a ride (with CONTROL). To start, maybe another set of hands to hold the slide firmly so that all your energy is directed to the task. After a few taps, you will have learned how you can steady the work-piece (slide) solo.

· Registered
9,034 Posts
It can be drifted, but as modeled in deepwater's post, you need the right tools and the correct technique so that there isn't damage done. It is safer to do it with a sight pusher, if you know someone who has one, or pay a small fee for a smith to do it. I have a pusher, and I've installed and adjusted sights for many folks for free- maybe you have a friend that has one, and would help.
It isn't uncommon to see a post where a member has drifted or installed their sights, and marred up the slide.

· Registered
895 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.