SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the possible effects of leaving my gun in the car over time? I live in Florida so it can get pretty hot here. It's an inexpensive Hi-Point 9mm. Could prolonged heat exsposure from the car damage my gun or the rounds?

·
Registered
55,780 Posts
humidity & rust will be your biggest problems.

just wipe down a lot, rotate mags. rotate round chambered.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i would not leave any weapon in a car unless it is secured in a lokbox

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hot cars can reach some pretty high temps.
Lubes will become runny and probably evaporate or leach out where it needs to be.

Hot ammo can easily generate higher firing pressures.

Heat is BAD for most plastics, rubbers and wood, and PROLONGED Hi Temps can hasten degradation.

Regular heat in a cars is one thing, Florida Summer Temps and direct sunlight is something else to be avoided, imho.

Minimally, I'd re-clean/lube on a more frequent schedule and rotate ammo if it's justing sitting in the gun and not going to the range at all, imho.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Nothing has happened to my guns or ammo from the heat, while leaving them in my secured vehicle...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I had asked a similar question and got the same answers. I have to leave mine locked up in my truck in the Texas heat out of sight and direct sunlight while I'm at work and I have noticed no ill effects on my SP2022. The lube does not seem to be getting out of the weapon and into my holster. I check it nightly before bed to assure it will be functional if the need arises. Even being a Hi Point it should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts