SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im pretty new to this and i have found out that my rifle doesnt like steel casings and due to the current shortage on everything i was looking to swap it out with a BCG that could better withstand both steel and brass after all when **** i need to be able to use whatever is available

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have never used any steel cased 5.56 in my AR's, from all that I've read they don't like them. Swapping out the BCG won't change anything in my opinion. From what I've seen steel cased 5.56 is mainly used in AK's chambered for it. Others with experience with this will chime in. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Any DI BCG will fit and work...
Yes, indeed. OP, also, you might want to first try just upgrading your extractor with a springco extractor spring and an o-ring.

Also, are you sure your gun just isn't under gassed for cheap steel cased 223?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
yes, any BCG from any DI AR will work. but lets work through your actual symptoms, it may be undergassed for the ammo you're shooting, it could be an extractor issue.

what specifically is happening? are cases getting caught between the bolt and ejection port(fail to eject) (stove piping) or are spent casings remaining in the chamber and it's trying to feed a second round behind the first(failure to extract)

hell is it extracting and ejecting but failing to feed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not having any issues just asking in general because like i said i want a carrier that can shoot anything and not have issues or damage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, indeed. OP, also, you might want to first try just upgrading your extractor with a springco extractor spring and an o-ring.

I havent had any issues i just want to be able to shoot whats available thanks

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I have spare BCG's, if it came down to shooting steel cased ammo I would just use one as a dedicated BCG for that and get spare parts for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have spare BCG's, if it came down to shooting steel cased ammo I would just use one as a dedicated BCG for that and get spare parts for it.
I thought the same thing except when doing research it was said that the gas tube would become clogged and as i said im pretty new so i dont know how i would clean this gas tube since this gas block is heat treated and i dont have the tools for that right now but after reading everyones replies i was thinking of just getting an entire new upper and using that for steel and then all id have to worry about is the lower maintenance

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
The gas tube is not a big concern.
If you are thinking about getting another upper to shoot cheap ammo with I would get a .22LR upper and call it a day.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,450 Posts
I don't visit here often, but this caught my attention.

The biggest "problem" is "extraction", as steel doesn't spring back from expansion to seal the chamber, at the same rate as cartridge brass. Normally either a stronger extractor spring, and/or a heavier duty extractor may be needed. Also a "heavier" buffer, slowing the cycle of operation may give the fired case a little more time "shrink" after expansion.

Of course if this steel "case" ammunition, also has thin mild steel bullet jacketing, I'd want a 4150 alloy chrome lined bore, for a reasonable "life" expectancy of the bore. I know, it's always brought up about the AK, but the 7.62 x 39 runs about 2/3rds the velocity too!

Reactions: Newerguy

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi im pretty new to this and i have found out that my rifle doesnt like steel casings and due to the current shortage on everything i was looking to swap it out with a BCG that could better withstand both steel and brass after all when **** i need to be able to use whatever is available
Im not having any issues just asking in general because like i said i want a carrier that can shoot anything and not have issues or damage
In your first post you say your rifle doesn't like steel casings, in this response you say you're not having a problem... I don't understand what you're asking or why you're asking it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry if my wording is confusing i did research and through word of mouth and other info ive seen the tread has a tendency of malfunctioning and or getting damaged from steel cased ammunition im new so i dont quite understand everything or why specifically that is being caused but due to the ammo shortage in my area the only thing available is steel and to mitigate before any damage is done i was asking here to get advice on what upgrades or methods i could use to make the tread more accepting of steel cased rounds. Hopefully that clears everything up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't visit here often, but this caught my attention.

The biggest "problem" is "extraction", as steel doesn't spring back from expansion to seal the chamber, at the same rate as cartridge brass. Normally either a stronger extractor spring, and/or a heavier duty extractor may be needed. Also a "heavier" buffer, slowing the cycle of operation may give the fired case a little more time "shrink" after expansion.

Of course if this steel "case" ammunition, also has thin mild steel bullet jacketing, I'd want a 4150 alloy chrome lined bore, for a reasonable "life" expectancy of the bore. I know, it's always brought up about the AK, but the 7.62 x 39 runs about 2/3rds the velocity too!
This sounds easy enough to accomplish i will definitely look into getting those thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts