SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my first sig. The firearm will serve as home defense and range use. Deciding between the P320 and the SP2022. Advantages and Disadvantages? Do both firearms work well for people who have small hands? So please take it easy on the newbie.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Welcome from Florida. You can't go wrong with the Sig P320. Buy the compact model which is great for home defense. Then you can buy the Full size ex change kit in 9mm, 40s&w or .357Sig to use for target shooting at the range. I have the sc model and full size kit in 9mm.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Well you have da/sa vs striker fire. Do you have experience with the double action trigger? They are both fine choices but it's going to be what's more comfortable for you, not anyone else. And welcome from Chester County, pa!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well you have da/sa vs striker fire. Do you have experience with the double action trigger? They are both fine choices but it's going to be what's more comfortable for you, not anyone else. And welcome from Chester County, pa!
Correct answer. If you can, rent or borrow one of each. Some people don't like the DA/SA, some do. No one can make that decision but you. I have both firearms and I like both. It would be hard to advise someone on which to choose without them knowing their preference, DA to SA or consistent trigger pull.
I prefer the DA/SA for home defense, but having said that my 320rx may take the place of the SP2022 as my nightstand gun.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
Have to agree with phlyers13, about your "Handle", and welcome to Sig Talk from the southwest corner of Indiana...
As far as your conundrum involving which model to choose, I believe that the 320 will provide the smallest grip diameter.
As brought up by others, which action type do you have the most experience, "striker fired", or "double action / single action".
If new to handguns, the striker fire system provides a consistent trigger pull, instead of a transition from the long double action pull for the first shot, to the short pulls for follow-up shots.
Both models use the standard M1913 accessory rail, for mounting lights or lasers.

As mentioned previously, it's your decision. Go handle each, and if there is range nearby with rentals, that you can try out, see which one works best for you, and then make your decision. If you polled the members here, you would find that most have made changes in their preferences over the course of their experience.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My two cents. This is only my opinion and only applies to me. I'm sure I'll get bushwhacked for saying it here in a Sig forum. But....

If you really want a Sig, I'd go with something more traditional. A P226, 228, 229, etc.

While there's nothing wrong with the plastic Sigs, I just don't get the feeling of quality or pride of ownership that comes with the classic models.

If you are specifically looking for something with a polymer frame, I'd investigate all of your options (Glock, HK, S&W, Walther, CZ, etc.) before making a decision.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
What part of Philly are you in. There are a lot of ranges in the area with good rental inventories. Targetmaster and Claytons come to mind. As does Del Val.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The SP2022 has interchangeable grips as well.

I don't understand why, when someone asks about a specific gun or guns that people have to post what they think someone should buy. I'm sure they have narrowed down there choices to what interests them. This never fails to amaze me and it happens all the time!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion as what what you should buy.. My recommendation is to go rent them both and you decide on which one is most comfortable for you...........
FYI. I own a SP2022 9mm and have put 950 rounds through it since the end of Jan and have not had 1 problem with it. and If you decide to go with the SP2022 there is a great deal for a sig threaded barrel. I just put 250 rounds through this new barrel today with fmj's and hp's with out 1 problem

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-sp2022-9mm-lci-threaded-barrel.html?___SID=U

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
I would strongly suggest renting both and giving them a go. Both are great guns and you will enjoy either but they are different from one another. Only you will know which is best for you. The 320 you rent will most likely have a medium grip. It can be had in a small as well as large size. The grips aren't readily available because of the guns popularity but I thought I would throw those options out for your consideration as well.

Welcome to SigTalk. You won't be sorry about a Sig purchase. They are great guns for the money. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just bought my first handgun as well. I went with the 2022 because of the feel & value. I don't have large hands and it comes with a small and Medium grip. I have the medium and it fits just right. I'm not a fan of striker fire. I like seeing the hammer position. The DA/SA trigger isn't a big deal for me. It's only a factor if you have a round in the chamber and have the hammer de-cocked. Either use the DA trigger for the first round or cock the hammer and go into SA mode.

That being said, you really just need to go shoot everything you can. Even if you find something you don't like, you'll develop a feel for what you like best and are willing to buy.
I ruled out Sig at first because I didn't like the 226. I loved the CZ but just couldn't fine one. Then I found the 2022 and the hunt was over.

The frame is polymer but the slide is metal and substantial.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
My advice--decide which you want based on SHOOTING both first. Only then can you really make a good decision. My prediction is that after firing both, one will be your decided favorite.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I would go with the P320. It is a far easier system to learn and maintain, and it is the wave of the future. You will find much better aftermarket support for the P320 than you'll ever find for the 2022, and it is by far the hotter gun on the market. Have a look at the compact P320. I think you'll be well pleased with that platform. It is the best general purpose gun in the entire line up by my estimation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.