SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have no experience on anything like this, but today I spent 1 1/2 hours on my old Dillon 450 trying to get the primer feed to behave. I almost gave up and moved over to the old RCBS rock chucker!

This thing may be trouble free, but I like the simple stuff. (I guess I'm just getting old!)

Edit to add: I just noticed that loader has a little white flag waving. Is that added for old guys like me?

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it's telling you the status of your primer feeder since you can't see inside the tube on Hornady or Dillon presses.

It's also good for marking the exact point in the ceiling that's directly above your primer feeder as that's where it'll wind up if you have a primer detonation in the tube.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yep, it's telling you the status of your primer feeder since you can't see inside the tube on Hornady or Dillon presses.

It's also good for marking the exact point in the ceiling that's directly above your primer feeder as that's where it'll wind up if you have a primer detonation in the tube.

Glad you cleared that up, I thought it meant that it was time to surrender!

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a couple of pics from another forum of a Dillon 650 that had 90 primers go off in the primer tube. Also a pic of the hole in the ceiling that I mentioned.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here are a couple of pics from another forum of a Dillon 650 that had 90 primers go off in the primer tube. Also a pic of the hole in the ceiling that I mentioned.
That does look nasty. I hope the primer tube was enclosed in a steel tube.

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The primer tubes are enclosed in steel tubes to help contain explosions when this happens so that helps. Evidently the majority of the shrapnel goes out the top.

That's the biggest problem with using a vertical tube for primer feeding. If the bottom one goes off, they'll all go off as the priming compound is facing upwards on all of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts