SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m a new Sig owner (previously been a Glock and Hk guy, still am but I’ve simply added Sig!) and noticed that it has been pushing the actual bullet back into the casing when I chamber the round. Is this a known
issue? Is there a fix for it? Are these bullets safe to shoot? Thank you for all of your help, I look forward to joining the Sig family (next purchase looks to likely be a Sig P320 RXP XCompact!!).

- James

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
100% no.
What make and manufacturer ammo?
Look like a Hornady Critical Defense.
Also apppears to be a couple of well seasoned rounds.
How many times would you guess this round has been chambered?

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
That’s not good. Don’t shoot those. Thats bullet setback.

That bullet setback increases the pressure of the ammo when fired and might hurt you or damage your gun.

Have you been using it to practice loading your gun? If so, I’d recommend using snap caps instead of your actual ammo.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The round on the left IS NOT SAFE TO SHOOT! Looks like a Hornady Critical Defense...thats what I use and have never seen one do that. It will generate extremely high pressure within the case when fired. If you have more doing that contact Hornady with photos and the Lot Number on the box.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Those bullets appear pretty oxidized. How old is that ammo, and how often have you re-chambered it?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
As others have mentioned, you left off some data needed to discuss your issue. What Sig Model? Is it a new from the factory pistol or a used firearm new to you? Have you tried other ammunition in your Sig? What brand of ammunition and is it factory new ammunition or reloads? Have you used the same ammunition with your other pistols?

There appears to be scratches and wear on both rounds. Were there any issues with chambering the rounds other than the setback on the one round?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I chamber a round a maximum of 2 times and rotate ammo around to keep track of that fact.

Worth stating again, the setback round shouldn't be fired unless you like boom boom in hand.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
the round could be catching as it is feeding. i assume you have tried different magazines or ammo?

·
Registered
480 Posts
A friend that reloads can "fix" rounds like this by extracting and reseating and crimping the bullet again.

As mentioned, don't fire a round in that condition.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's called setback as many have said. A quality ammo like Hornady almost never has that problem unless it's been re-chambered many times. Occasionally I noticed setback on a round or two, if it's chambered and then not fired, and I remove the rounds for cleaning etc. I fix it with a kinetic bullet puller. A few taps will have the round back out to where it was looking like the others. If you can't fix it that way or the other way that was mentioned, do not fire it and just toss it.

·
Registered
P320 9mm Carry
23 Posts
I occasionally get one like from re-chambering the top round in my carry magazine, sometimes after just one chambering (even from quality ammo - HST, Gold Dot, etc.). I just keep an eye out for it every time I "unchamber," rotate the top round in magazines, and shoot out rounds in my carry magazines regularly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used to cycle and shoot out my carry ammo once a week but pandemic prices got me doing that once a month. I would suggest you do the same. It's good to put rounds through your defense mags.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Am I the oddball one here that doesn't just release the slide when chambering a defensive round?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I used to cycle and shoot out my carry ammo once a week but pandemic prices got me doing that once a month. I would suggest you do the same. It's good to put rounds through your defense mags.
I used to do the same thing. Every time I went to the range I'd start with my carry weapon and fire off my self defense rounds before switching to FMJ. Helped build/maintain confidence in my weapon cartridge/choice.

These days though... heh... I'm pretty sure the Hydrashoks in my current pistol are well over 6 months at this point. I'd swap em out, but I only have a box and a half left.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, for real.

If I have to de-chamber the gun for whatever reason, I came up with a way to re-chamber the round without it having to hit the feed ramp. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does something like this. It's not straight breech loading, but it is with a twist.

Lock slide back, breech load the round. Holding slide, release slide stop, slowly allowing the slide to contact the round in the pipe. This way the extractor won't slam into the rim of the cartridge. Then, I place my fingers on the left side of the gun, cradling it with the extractor side up. I then use my thumbnails to press the rear of the extractor and it pops right over the rim. Been doing it this way for a long time, and it's just fine. Doesn't hurt anything.

Reduces setback for events like cleaning, or whatever may require you to make the weapon safe, etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have found this on the Sig 365 ammo. Ammo is pushed back into the casing in two ways. Hand loading into magazine and by repeated racking of round to chamber.

Fortunatley, I'm a reloader and have a bullet puller and was able to extract the affected bullets and reset to depth with a fresh crimp.

Now, after de-chambering a round I will re-chamber by breech loading. (Locking slide open, dropping round into breech and sling-shotting slide into place then insert magazine)

Of course, the best way is to load firearm and leave it loaded...but if that's not possible, the above method is effective.

Reactions: jpg19

·
Premium Member
US Army Veteran
1,111 Posts
Hello,

I’m a new Sig owner (previously been a Glock and Hk guy, still am but I’ve simply added Sig!) and noticed that it has been pushing the actual bullet back into the casing when I chamber the round. Is this a known
issue? Is there a fix for it? Are these bullets safe to shoot? Thank you for all of your help, I look forward to joining the Sig family (next purchase looks to likely be a Sig P320 RXP XCompact!!).

- James
Hey James, you out there? You have lots of us interested and we need more detail. Don't leave us hanging.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,960 Posts
Never happened to me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts