SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the last century I used to do bullet shots.
Some of them were balloons. I was fascinated at getting the bullet well into the second or red balloon.
Also that the balloon would break open, and sometimes I could still see the air still in the shape of the balloon.
All shots were a .45 acp 1911

Got a few of them.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I’ve never been around when someone does something cool like that. Best we ever accomplished was catching a field on fire trying to shoot bottle rockets out of the air with a shotgun. As luck would have it, no pictures exist.:cool:

·
Registered
35,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The camera isn't fast enough to do it.

I did it all in pure darkness, using flash.
I went to an exhibit of Doc Egerton's work, and thought there has to be a way I could do it.
I did research, and found out without a custom build, the fastest flash at the time, was a Vivatar 283, and I already owned 2.
I did it all with stuff I already had.

Learned a camera will do anything imagination will ask of it.

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
I've done a few commercial shoots back in the day with high speed 16mm film cameras. At 1000fps, an ARRI (IIRC) super-Hi-speed would (almost literally) burn through a 400-ft roll in like 10-15 seconds (normally around 11 minutes at normal 24fps). It was pretty wild. We'd get maybe two takes per roll because we had to get the timing right and the film had to ramp up to speed. I've never seen lights so bright as what was used (we wore welding masks), and yet the film sometimes still had to be pushed several stops when developing. We filmed stuff like milk droplets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts