SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my problem is just as it sounds.
I'm working on a new AR build and I live in an apartment.
So far I've been (barely) getting buy with a clamp on 3" vise, clamped on my kitchen counter, but honestly I don't trust it much and only use it when it's absolutely necessary. Plus, I don't want to break my kitchen counter.
I don't want to bring in a whole work table because well, I don't want to have to move it in a few months when I move out.
Does anyone have any ideas or have the same problem?
I'd like to have a decent 4.5" vise, does anyone have experience with the "vacuum vise"?
Or is there a small workbench that would work to mount a vise to?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sears used to have a fold-up workbench. I suspect Home Depot and Lowes would as well.

Anything "Vacuum" mounted is suspect, even if you have a perfect mounting surface.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I used probably the same 3'' clamp on vice at my kitchen island, only thing you really need a good vice for is torquing on the barrel nut and flash hider, i found someone who had a good vice set up and i had an upper vice block, id try to find someone you can just use their space/vice for the 10 min worth of torquing

·
Banned
4,502 Posts
80%?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I bin, filled with books, and a vice on top? Small sawhorses?

I really like that Black and Decker option above though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just need to torque down the barrel nut, my muzzle device is pinned/welded. That's why I need a vice and a stable surface. I've taken apart my mp15 and reassembled it no problem with no vice but my new build is quite expensive, id rather torque things down to recommended specs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
The B&D Work Mate with a bench vice mounted, not the Tipton Gun Vice, will let you torque to 50 ft lbs. You might have to stand on the step of the bench, but it should hold securely for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood or a sturdy board large enough to bolt your vice to and have room for you to stand/kneel on it while working.

When you get ready to install the barrel place the board on the floor and secure in place by kneeling/standing on the board while you tourqe the barrel nut.

Before I had a good work bench I used this method for AR15 barrels and replacing the barrel on a Savage Bolt Action.

John K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts