SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
There have been a couple of report here on ST of the GR breaking.

Call SIG and report the problem. They just might send you a new one at no charge.

Edit: I would replace the recoil spring as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the stock spring it's just mangled. I didn't realize the guide rod had broken off until after the range session. Brought it home opened it up to clean it and the spring was mangled inside the slide and no guide rod.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It is the stock spring it's just mangled. I didn't realize the guide rod had broken off until after the range session. Brought it home opened it up to clean it and the spring was mangled inside the slide and no guide rod.
Wow, Sorry to hear about that Kosta.

I'm seeing the flat wire springs are being used more. They require a smaller diameter guide rod. Not saying that's the problem, just an observation.

Like ThnkFrst says, Definitely contact SIG. They will take care of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I intend to call sig. it's unfortunate because I really love everything about the p938 but I've never understood the 2 piece guide rod system. Does anyone know the reasoning behind the 2 piece system.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My Tacops has a 2 piece GI (short) Guide rod. I have searched high & low to find the answer to the question of why and so far nothing. A buddy suggested its easier to manufacture than one piece milled or MIMed, but I'm not sure.

Mine kept coming loose, so i de-greased the threads, applied red lock-tite and torqued it down. So far it has not come loose again.

Keep us posted.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
I make the assumption that SIG designed the base of the 938 GR in that shape for a legitimate functional reason. With that in mind, from a "producibility" perspective it makes sense to MIM the complex based and turn the rod.

What I do not understand is why they failed to design the mechanism for attaching the two piece so that they would stay attached to each other....for more than a few hundred rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.