SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys at a semi local PD to me(27 miles south but I know people that work there) has recently bought a brand new p320 carry. He went to the range to shoot it and 5 rounds in the extractor breaks. He was shooting Winchester white box ammo. He called aid to report the issue and see what they said about it and the guy he spoke to on the phone said it happened because he was shooting white box. Anyone else ever had this issue? I’m in no way bashing sig I’m just curious as to the validity of the claim that white box could break an extractor in 5 rounds

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’ve fed the X-Compact at least 200-300 Winchester white box 115gr FMJ as well as hundreds of Blazer 115gr FMJ, Magtech 115gr FMJ, Fiochi 115gr FMJ, Winchester 124gr NATO (definitely a hot load), Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, Federal HST 124gr +P, Federal HST 147gr, Underwood 90gr +P Extreme Defender (my current carry load) and a few others for a total of roughly 3-4K rounds and so far no malfunctions or broken parts...

I do keep a spare extractor, firing pin and RSA in my range bag just in case but have yet to use any of it.

Replacing a broken extractor takes about 90 seconds and they are a relatively cheap part to keep as a spare.

I guess your mileage may vary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
One of the guys at a semi local PD to me(27 miles south but I know people that work there) has recently bought a brand new p320 carry. He went to the range to shoot it and 5 rounds in the extractor breaks. He was shooting Winchester white box ammo. He called aid to report the issue and see what they said about it and the guy he spoke to on the phone said it happened because he was shooting white box. Anyone else ever had this issue? I’m in no way bashing sig I’m just curious as to the validity of the claim that white box could break an extractor in 5 rounds
Classic blame the user. Sounds like a defective extractor to me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Utter non-sense. WWB is SAAMI spec'd (last I heard), and that's what the P320 manual says you should use for ammo. I have 5500+ rounds on my P320 compact 9mm that includes hundreds of WWB rounds.

Sig should honor the warranty.

·
Registered
21,596 Posts
BS about the ammo.

The extractors are MIM and sometimes you get a bad one. Though even tool steel parts can break. Good it broke on the range. It will get a new one and will never happen again.

Reactions: CAR

·
Banned
597 Posts
I had a problem with another brand of gun, called their CS and the first thing they asked was had I been shooting Winchester White Box. Manufacturers apparently don't like it. There has to be a reason. Now, I don't shoot it. Ever.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have been Posting at SigTalk since April 2018 with over 2500 posts..To say I am familiar with Winchester White Box would be a Understatement!
If there has been a problem at a Range with a P320 or a P365 it has usually been due to the use of Winchester White Box Ammo!

Not Always but it is a common thread..If you are having a issue and you are Shooting Winchester "White Box" Try some different Ammo..
Federal American Eagle, Blazer Brass, Speer Gold Dot..if your issue goes away then there ya go...If it doesn't Call Sig!
It's not unusual with Sig's if you start to read a Post about a Firing issue you will see Winchester "White Box" ammo mentioned.

Thread #1 Winchester White Box..Extractor Issue,,Sound Familiar..

https://sigtalk.com/p365/394352-failure-eject-shell.html

Thread #2 FTF...Winchester...

https://sigtalk.com/p365/393422-p365-100-rounds-today-2-ftf.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've shot exactly 1000 rounds of Winchester white box through my P320 with no issues. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Typical Sig reply. My P320 carry in 40S&W developed extraction issues. Sig examined it and did not replace anything, instead they said the Speer Lawman ammo I was using was known to be hot and over expand in the chamber. Never had any problem with that ammo in my G22. I bought a new extractor and assembly from MGW and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
21,596 Posts
WWB is often in a thread because a lot of people use it.
Statistics.

I've shot thousands of rounds of WWB in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP, over the last 30+ years and have never had a single issue with it in any gun. And WWB sure as heck isn't going to break an extractor.

The extractors are MIM and that one had a flaw. It broke where it was weak.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a defective MIM extractor to me. It goes the 5 rounds and the extractor dies?

Bill

Yeah I was there watched him pull the 320 out of the box took the tags off the grip fired it 5 rounds and it broke

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been Posting at SigTalk since April 2018 with over 2500 posts..To say I am familiar with Winchester White Box would be a Understatement!
If there has been a problem at a Range with a P320 or a P365 it has usually been due to the use of Winchester White Box Ammo!

Not Always but it is a common thread..If you are having a issue and you are Shooting Winchester "White Box" Try some different Ammo..
Federal American Eagle, Blazer Brass, Speer Gold Dot..if your issue goes away then there ya go...If it doesn't Call Sig!
It's not unusual with Sig's if you start to read a Post about a Firing issue you will see Winchester "White Box" ammo mentioned.

Thread #1 Winchester White Box..Extractor Issue,,Sound Familiar..

https://sigtalk.com/p365/394352-failure-eject-shell.html

Thread #2 FTF...Winchester...

https://sigtalk.com/p365/393422-p365-100-rounds-today-2-ftf.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcSRBhUJzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkFmoqzWno

White box is about all you can get in his town and ordering different ammo has become an almost null option currently

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've shot exactly 1000 rounds of Winchester white box through my P320 with no issues. Just throwing that out there.

Same I’ve shot a ton of it... especially when I want to work on malfunction drills lol. I inevitably get a box that wants to cause one malfunction or another lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Typical Sig reply. My P320 carry in 40S&W developed extraction issues. Sig examined it and did not replace anything, instead they said the Speer Lawman ammo I was using was known to be hot and over expand in the chamber. Never had any problem with that ammo in my G22. I bought a new extractor and assembly from MGW and it's been fine since.

I live lawman ammo, it is a much hotter ammo than white box, it replicates the recoil I get from my duty ammo in plinking ammo, it’s just impossible to find here lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know companies can put out bad parts but to blame the ammo is lazy.I know certain guns like certain ammunition better than others but I feel like a top dollar handgun should be able to fire any type of ammunition I put through it without a part breaking “because I was using white box”, even more so if it’s my duty gun or a gun I plan to use in duty especially when I just dropped almost $900 on it. Like I said I’m not bashing sig I love their handguns but that answer to me seems unacceptable

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know some folks do not like Winchester White Box, but I have fired thousands of rounds through Sigs, including a P320, and other guns without any issues. My money is on a defective extractor. This can happen with any extractor whether it is MIM or tool steel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts