SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
It works with steel casing and nowadays you can't be too picky about ammo. Just one note: steel case ammo is not allowed in indoor ranges, at least here in WA.

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
As nervous said, check with your local ranges.

My range allows any kind of cases you have, they only get picky about steel core/jacketed bullets.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Steel against steel in the gun implies more wear to the parts in contact with the casing to me. Steel ammo was originally created by people for throw away cheap guns used by people that weren't cared about or valued much either.

No, I won't shoot steel ammo.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Steel against steel in the gun implies more wear to the parts in contact with the casing to me. Steel ammo was originally created by people for throw away cheap guns used by people that weren't cared about or valued much either.

No, I won't shoot steel ammo.
The last time I looked there are 10's of thousands of AK's that have fired steel case and and run just fine the ONLY reason not to run steel case is it's hard on the extractor. The inter-webs are filled with all kinds of myths, unfortunately many unsophisticated and new shooters believe them. One of the most circulated is that steel case will harm your firearm. Aside from extractor issues you can fire away and not worry

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Got a new P320x vtac–is it okay to shoot 9mm steel casing ammo?
Steel case Ammo puts more wear on your gun, roughly double (I’ve been told) then wear created by brass or aluminum case Ammo. It is safe to shoot but most people that value their firearms avoid it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The last time I looked there are 10's of thousands of AK's that have fired steel case and and run just fine the ONLY reason not to run steel case is it's hard on the extractor. The inter-webs are filled with all kinds of myths, unfortunately many unsophisticated and new shooters believe them. One of the most circulated is that steel case will harm your firearm. Aside from extractor issues you can fire away and not worry

Agree but does anyone really care about an AK? It’s not exactly a “fine” firearm.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Steel case Ammo puts more wear on your gun, roughly double (I’ve been told) then wear created by brass or aluminum case Ammo. It is safe to shoot but most people that value their firearms avoid it.
You say you have been told. By who? 99% of the ammo put through AK'S are steel case and they don't suffer for using it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agree but does anyone really care about an AK? It’s not exactly a “fine” firearm.
There are many more AK'S in service than AR'S and a boat load of them here. As far as being a fine firearm neither is a SIG they are both designed to be shot, not admired in a case

·
Registered
439 Posts
You say you have been told. By who? 99% of the ammo put through AK'S are steel case and they don't suffer for using it.

Are you comparing the tolerances, craftsmanship etc... of an AK to a Sig handgun, or Other higher end semi auto handguns? Don’t you think there’s a difference. I’d shoot steel case all day in an AK - and maybe occasionally in a Glock...never in any higher end semi auto. I don’t doubt you can get away with it and possibly not see any negative effects - but why take a chance with clearly inferior Ammo?.... they only use Steel because it’s CHEAP - Not better.
To your Q: I was told by an instructor for a CC class, never vetted it, or conducted a “study”.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you comparing the tolerances, craftsmanship etc... of an AK to a Sig handgun, or Other higher end semi auto handguns? Don’t you think there’s a difference. I’d shoot steel case all day in an AK - and maybe occasionally in a Glock...never in any higher end semi auto. I don’t doubt you can get away with it and possibly not see any negative effects - but why take a chance with clearly inferior Ammo?.... they only use Steel because it’s CHEAP - Not better.

To your Q: I was told by an instructor for a CC class, never vetted it, or conducted a “study”.
Clearly inferior ammunition? Please tell that to the 10`s of thousands dead GI's
Killed by that inferior 7.62x39

·
Registered
150 Posts
The steel they use is pretty soft. Much softer then the steel in your gun. It will most likely wear out your gun marginally quicker then brass. The parts it would most likely wear out would be the extractor (from the case) and the barrel (bi metal jacket bullet).

On average you can save roughly $100/1k rnds of ammo with steel. So lets say after 10k rds you barrel is shot out (still pretty unlikely with pistol ammo). You would have saved $1k, more then enough to pay for a new barrel and extractor, or even a new handgun.

It is dirty and also not very accurate.

I

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Clearly inferior ammunition? Please tell that to the 10`s of thousands dead GI's
Killed by that inferior 7.62x39

DOUBLE based on your logic - there’s no such thing as quality, Toyota/Ferrari = all the same. Not seekng an argument or need to be absolutely right....I raised a point, you don’t agree, I’m no expert and others here have much more experience and knowledge....will leave it at that. You like steel case Ammo - there’s plenty of it and you can have my share as well

·
Registered
181 Posts
DOUBLE based on your logic - there’s no such thing as quality, Toyota/Ferrari = all the same. Not seekng an argument or need to be absolutely right....I raised a point, you don’t agree, I’m no expert and others here have much more experience and knowledge....will leave it at that. You like steel case Ammo - there’s plenty of it and you can have my share as well
If you are willing to send it to me I'll pay the shipping fee

1 - 20 of 23 Posts