SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I decided to reload I wanted a simple way to catch brass and not pick up off the ground.
Shopped around a lot and never saw what I thought would work well.

I made my own out of a file cabinet folder frame cut in half. Covered it with a GI laundry bag.
I could slide the frame closed and it wold fit in my range bag.
I put a steel bar across the bottom to attach a tripod.
Worked real well, but the gun needs to be close to it. As I moved, I had to be sure I was in place.

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two weeks ago I saw a catcher in an ammo can and decided it looked good.
Only it must fit in my range bag.

I found a net laundry bag at Wally world, for 4.95

I cut the front open making a 12" square opening. I took some tension out of the back wall to keep brass from bouncing back. Down low I cut the back net, and opened it up, sealing it back with an iron on patch/

I put a trash bag in my range bag ans fit the unit in. When done all brass is in the trash bag.
I find my 45 and 10mm work best well away from it, maybe 18" or so. Gives the brass the chance to start down on it's arc.
9mm I am about 10"to 12" away.
I don't need to be as precise as the right spot to hit it, as the other one.
So far it catches all but maybe 3 or 4 a box.

I haven't done all my guns yet, but I have confidence it will work with them all.
I plan to make a base, and not use the range bag. Also to adjust for height.

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: Tinmantoo

·
Registered
546 Posts
I built one too. Made mine from a collapsing, extendable fishing net, a C clamp and the wrap. Clamps to the bench next to me and works pretty well. It works well as long as I'm shooting from a stable position. I try to spend some range time running duck and cover drills. Those shells I have to chase all over!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Think the indoor range would let me set that up?? Jk

Awesome ideas, I'm trying to figure out how to save my brass at indoor ranges... How do you guys do it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think the indoor range would let me set that up?? Jk

Awesome ideas, I'm trying to figure out how to save my brass at indoor ranges... How do you guys do it??

I have shot at 12 ranges in 5 States. They all let you keep your own brass.
Several have talked to me about building one.
Thunderbird in Wichita recently saw my 10mm and catcher and when I cleaned up the range officer reached out front and retrieved 3 casings that got away from me.
Indoor is about all I shoot. The range bag makes just the right height for my favorite range.
I plan to make a base platform that folds and with PVC legs or a tripod will adjust for any range.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting. There's a great range down here I frequent but it seems every time they see you grabbing brass they send someone into the range to remind you only to take yours... Of course I only want mine, yet once it hits the rubber floor it's a free for all and brass is everywhere.. I don't reload but when I see the prices for what brass can sell for it only seems logical to save it and throw it in a 5 gallon bucket when I get home..

I'm heading to Wally World to try that collapsible laundry hamper for 5$ idea first.

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wish I had saved brass before I decided to reload.
I think back on all the brass I left in their buckets to sell over the decades.

Some ranges will be possessive, but you own the brass. Most will like a catcher because then it is clear who owns what. Also saves getting walked on, or kicked around.

I think the laundry bag will stand on it's own so just a small garbage bag on it, if the height works.

Reloading saves me about 30% and I have learned a whole lot about shooting and ammo since I started.
I prorated my equipment costs out over 5000 rounds, and that is about 3000 paid off.

·
Registered
17,950 Posts
Most of the ranges around here let you pick up your own brass and anyone else's as long as they okay you taking their brass. I get a lot of extra brass that way. On a great range day, I'll probably bring home twice as much brass as I shot and yesterday I got 90 more 9MMs than I shot, 50 more .45s and 30 more .380s.

There is one range in the area that has a strict rule about that, though, and they only allow you to pick up your own brass and even then, it has to be behind the red line. They won't even let you use the squeegee pass the red line in spite of the fact it's perfectly safe.

I don't shoot at that range, so I've voted with my feet and my wallet.

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When people walk away and leave a dirty station, I will clean it up. Targets in the trash, but I figure the brass is mine for the work.
The two ranges I shoot at, both appreciate the cleanup.

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I build a stand for it. With tripods (3) I have complete height adjustment.
The stand comes apart and will lay in the bottom of my range bag.

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided the wood was not easy enough.
I got some steel strap 1 1/2 by 1/8. Turned the ends up and made one shorter than the other so they can store together.

I welded a 1/4" coupler in one strap, sticking out enough to trap the other strap between it and the tripod.
I put magnets on the 4 ends that grab the catcher and hold it tight enough to pick it up tripod and all by the top,
I did 150 of 9mm yesterday, and it missed 3, because I let myself back up to much.
When I m slightly forward it never misses.

The trash bag shows signs of hot brass burning it. I figure every dozen trips, I will need to change trash bags.

Reactions: Ddoc529

·
Registered
472 Posts
Interesting. There's a great range down here I frequent but it seems every time they see you grabbing brass they send someone into the range to remind you only to take yours...

I shoot midweek, when there are few people at the range, so I just sweep up whatever brass is within one broom's-length of my station. If the range operators don't like it, they can keep the floor clean before I get there. I'm not a brass-sorter or their janitor. Of course I don't go around poaching brass from the whole range--just my immediate area.

If the floor is clean when I get there, I end up loosing brass that goes downrange or rolls across the floor. If the floor is untidy, I end up gaining brass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.