SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just purchased my very first handgun, the sig 2022 9mm. Tomorrow my 10 day wait is over ?. I'm heading to the range and taking a beginners handgun class. I have 2 questions.
1. The range said they don't allow anything made with steel. I'd love to get some recommendations for ammo that I can pick up either at Turner's in California or at Walmart.
2. I have gone shooting previously and I greatly dislike loading the ammo. Any recommendations for a particular magazine loader?
Thanks so much...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Welcome from Texas and congrats on your SP2022!

Your SP2022 should eat anything you feed her. Just check on the package that it's not steel cased ammo. AFAIK steel core ammo is considered armor piercing and not legal to own for civilians. (I might be wrong with that)

At Walmart I would check if they have Perfecta or Winchester White Box or even Tula Brass, that's what they carry here in Texas. Don't forget to get you a cleaning kit and some lube (oil and grease) - you'll need it.

Have fun with your gun and good shooting.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Perfecta gets my vote, usually the most affordable out of the walmart selections.

Maybe pick up some jacketed hollow point Winchester white box - decent self defense starter round

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
I agree on the ammo and cleaning/lubing your pistol. Basically, if it slides, grease it, if it swivels, oil it.

Here are a couple of good greases available from Walmart.

And gun oil. Don't over do the oil, apply and wipe off extra - doesn't need to be dripping.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
As for a magazine loader. Once I started using a Uplula magazine loader I threw all the other ones I had in a box and never us them!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Pulled my 2022 out today. Still love it. 40 though, currently has a 9mm barrel in it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats. I just brought my 2022 home a few weeks ago. It's also my first handgun. It's a tough gun to pass up for the money. I'd been on the hunt for a CZ but they are just too hard to come by in my area. I walked into the local gun store to buy some .22L rounds and walked out a very happy Sig owner. I'd shot the 226 a few times but didn't like the slide release on it. It's just in an awkward spot for me. I like the 2022's design better for that..

targetsportsusa.com has pretty good deals on bulk ammo. For the range, I like either the Winchester White box 124 Grain Full Metal Jackets or the Federal American Eagle 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket. Target Sports has them for 1000 Rounds for $200, free shipping.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Congratulations and welcome from Chula Vista. Used to surf a lot up that way. South Carlsbad State Beach is our favorite campground. Tomorrow we man the computers and phones to try to get a spot for 1st weekend in October.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome to our forum.

SP2022 is a great pistol.
I always clean my gun after I've used it.
Always lube it properly with oil and a bit of gun grease on the rails.

Shoot safe!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone!!!! So grateful for all the info.

I'll be getting the sig at Turners and be sure to pick up my cleaning kit. I've already watched a few videos on how to disassemble and clean it. Is it true that you have to clean it before you ever shoot it?

Thanks again for the ammo recs. I'll pick up a few diff ones and see if I can even tell the difference. The speed loader is a difinate!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Is it true that you have to clean it before you ever shoot it?
Yes you want to get rid of the oil that the factory put on/in the gun to protect it from corrosion during storage. So best thing is to take her home, clean her up, lube her and then take her out on a range date - unless you can't wait and just take her to range straight from the store to put a box or two through her. But you COULD encounter some issues like failure to feed, failure to extract. Don't necessarily have to happen, but could.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
To add to Steelhat's response, breaking your gun down and cleaning prior to your first trip to the range gives you a chance to look for anything wrong with the gun, familiarize yourself with it, and properly lubricate it. The instruction manual will tell you to clean and lube it prior to shooting it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats! The SP2022 was an excellent choice, it's one of my favorites. As mentioned, the Uplula is many folks go to speed loader, including mine.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
Thanks so much everyone!!!! So grateful for all the info.

I'll be getting the sig at Turners and be sure to pick up my cleaning kit. I've already watched a few videos on how to disassemble and clean it. Is it true that you have to clean it before you ever shoot it?

Thanks again for the ammo recs. I'll pick up a few diff ones and see if I can even tell the difference. The speed loader is a difinate!
First, welcome from the southwest corner of Indiana. The others recommendations on cleaning and lubrication is necessary. Same with recommendations for ammunition. When new the tolerances are tight, and the springs are strong, that's why you need to use a decent quality ammunition for the pistol to function properly. You don't want your first experience to be miserable, and full of "problems". Once broken in, you may be able to use a lesser quality of ammunition, such as steel or aluminum cased. I know California has some requirements, that the other 49 states shooters don't have to deal with, so your fellow California members should be of more assistance to you.

Good Luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Welcome from the north part of the state.

+1000000 on the Magula Uplula, it is the best on the market. Works on pretty much any handgun magazines you may get. You can also get an adapter for single stack mags as well. And it is also good for stripping ammo from mags as well.

One other thing you may want to look into getting are snap caps. They are good for dry fire training to get use to the trigger on your new pistol and also for misfire training. Basically tap and rack drills. Also good to help diagnose issues such as flinching or anticipating the bang, if you have a buddy load your mags with one or two so you don't know when they will happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As for a magazine loader. Once I started using a Uplula magazine loader I threw all the other ones I had in a box and never us them!
+1 :D

So easy to load (and unload). And it may work with future mags on your future gun purchases. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts