SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I need a little bit of help. I just bought my first handgun (P320 compact 9mm) on Friday after doing a considerable amount of research. During the first 30 rounds fired I had one FTE where the slide came back, but the empty casing was only part way out of the chamber. The next day I shot about 200 rounds through it and I had one FTE myself, and a friend that I had with me had at least six or seven. I have shot Winchester white box 115gr. exclusively through it and at the time of me writing this I have shot about 400 rounds. Do you guys know what might be causing this? Is it something that I am doing wrong? I have a friend with the same gun and he has about 250 through his and he has had 0 problems... if that helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could be any number of things. First, has it been cleaned and lubed properly? You could be limp wristing. It could be the ammo - may want to try a 124gr load. How experienced are you and your friend shooting handguns in general?

Oh yeah - welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I took it to the range for the first time I cleaned out the preserving oils and lubed it up good, and I have done this every time I come home from the range. I have shot a couple of handguns before now, both were .45's and my friend has never shot. What would be a good thing to do/try to eliminate the potential of limp wristing?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I didn't clean and lube my new P320SC before taking it to the range the first time and I had several FTEs. I cleaned it and lubed the slide and rails before my next trip to the range and it performed flawlessly with the same Fiocchi 115gr FMJ ammo.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Welcome Ginko to the forums. It's real important to grip the gun with a firm grip. Get your support hand in on the open part of the grip not covered by your strong hand. Use a comfortable hold and your thumbs parallel along the side of the frame. That should help. Get some 124gr Blazer Brass and some other types HPs, all different weights. Try them out and see if that doesn't help. Good luck and welcome from the Old Dominion!

·
Registered
90 Posts
What would be a good thing to do/try to eliminate the potential of limp wristing?
Of course the best thing would be a "basic pistol" training course with a qualified instructor who can evaluate your technique. Barring that, skullcoder has some good advice.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Considering the 9mm use's the same recoil assembly as 357sig and 40 the 115gr wwb ammo could be your problem . WWB has more problems with quality that any other but maybe run fine once the recoil springs may work fine after a few hundred rounds of quality ammo has been run thru it .

Speer lawman 124gr maybe the most consistent high quality ammo to use and Remington express label in 124gr , but dirty , for those first 100 or 200 rounds

Sounds like your shooting buddy also had some limp wrist going on if he had more issues than you .. Be sure the extractor stays clean , buy a better class of ammo like lawman to proof your pistol with and to keep around for when or if you have a problem with a lower cost brand of practice ammo .

Learn to do plunk test too with any ammo you buy as sigs chambers are tighter than some others and not all ammo is always equal in quality even when the same brand .

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Have not had this problem with my 320 but some serious feed problems with my new FNX9 using 115 go Blazer. Looking foreword next time with Lawman 124gr. I understand this load is a bit hotter than most and will hopefully help break in my FN and I too would recommend you try it with your 320. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Clean that Sun of a gun inside/out. Also use some gun grease like tetra lube on the slide ,barrel, and guide rails......just a thin even coat of grease....0 issues with 300rds to date. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! This is some great information. So it is probably a good idea to run some more tests before I contact Sig. I ordered up a few different brands of 124gr last night and some 115gr magtech to see if the problem is just whitebox or all 115gr. What do you all typically shoot(ball, defensive)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clean that Sun of a gun inside/out. Also use some gun grease like tetra lube on the slide ,barrel, and guide rails......just a thin even coat of grease....0 issues with 300rds to date. Good luck.
Would you recommend putting any in the chamber area or is oil better to go in there? Sorry if this is a newbie question...

·
Registered
303 Posts
2 FTE's sound about normal on your end with a brand new pistol. Your friend, however, sounds like user error. I bet your friend is limp wristing. WWB is not the best ammunition, but 2 FTE out of the box isn't too bad. Clean it real good and try it again. Once there is a good break in period, I am sure it will function fine.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Grease

Would you recommend putting any in the chamber area or is oil better to go in there? Sorry if this is a newbie question...
Let me find the post/utube about cleaning and using gun grease. I found it on the S&W forum. I will shoot it your way. PS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Magtech 115 has worked well for me. Also no issues with Remington or federal. Blazer 115 gave me 2 failures out of 80 rounds. For defensive use Hornady critical defense works fine for me.
I've got 700 rounds total through mine with only the Blazer issues

·
Registered
260 Posts
No oil, and definitely no grease in the chamber.

When the gun is fire the case expands to the full size of the chamber,
hugging the chamber walls, then it contracts and frees itself from the chamber walls.

Oil and lubricants can cause the case to stick to the chamber walls and when it's bad enough the gun will have sticky extraction or the extractor can slip off the case head,
Mostly it will put resistance on the case slowing down the reward movement of the slide and mess up extraction.

Watch under powered ammo and keep a firm grip on the pistol.
Sig customer service recommended shooting the pistol wet, not dripping but well lubed.

Take out the gun module out of the frame and clean it well with a soft tooth brush, and a mild solvent, don't knock any springs loose. Let it dry and put a small drop of oil every place that looks like it moves, could move, might move or moves when your not looking.
Lucas extreme duty gun oil is what I use, you got a sample with the pistol it's a bluish green oil. A decent amount of gun grease in the slide rail cutouts and a dab ( small ) amount on the metal tabs that ride in the frame rails

Depress the mag release and put a very small drop of oil on the mag release.
Do not put any oil in a place that will allow it to enter the striker channel.
The parts of the striker are made out of a metal that is self lubricating and they move very little anyway. You do not want a funked up striker or striker channel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts