SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from the old school and still use brushes and rods to clean the barrels of my weapons...

However I have been hearing and reading about these bore snake cleaners and wanted to hear some experiences from my fellow Sigtalkers ...

Are these Bore Snake Cleaners really as effective as the different advertisments claim them to be? Is their effect really more thorough as the traditional brushes?

Thank you in advance!

· Registered
668 Posts
i use them on my rifles. but i clean after every range session which is never more than a few hundred rounds at most. so i'm not really having to remove a whole lot of stuff in there. I like them! they make it quick and easy and seem to do a good job.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I have some for my 9 mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP pistols and for my 38 Special/357 Magnum revolver.

I do not think they do as good a job as using traditional patches and brushes but they are quick and easy to use.

I like to use them to make a couple of passes through the barrels of my handguns when shooting at the range while the barrels are still a bit warm, especially if I don't plan to clean the guns when I get home.

· Registered
62 Posts
Bore snakes are the best product I have ever used for regular routine cleaning. The brass bristles loosen up the crud and the tight fitting material wipes the bore clean. I have found that they are actually quicker and clean more thoroughly than patches on regular routine jobs. However...if you already have a BUNCH of lead or copper build up, then it's time for an all out brushing.

· Registered
6,607 Posts
If you want some free entertainment, go to the AR15 forum and go into the AR section about troubleshooting and maintenance.

You'll find a thread around every 6 weeks or so where someone got a bore snake stuck in an AR barrel and what it takes to get it out once it's stuck.

For that reason alone, I'd never consider one, plus the fact that it just isn't that much faster than a rod and it's more time to maintain than a rod as they have to be cleaned from time to time. A rod merely requires one fast 2 second pass with a cloth or napkin.

· Registered
255 Posts
If you want some free entertainment, go to the AR15 forum and go into the AR section about troubleshooting and maintenance.

You'll find a thread around every 6 weeks or so where someone got a bore snake stuck in an AR barrel and what it takes to get it out once it's stuck.

For that reason alone, I'd never consider one, plus the fact that it just isn't that much faster than a rod and it's more time to maintain than a rod as they have to be cleaned from time to time. A rod merely requires one fast 2 second pass with a cloth or napkin.
i own multiple boresnakes, and do not understand how one can get theres stuck in a barrel. there is a length of string basically with a weight on the end that passes through the entire barrel before the cleaning part even makes contact. in this way you always have something sticking out either end. How can someone misuse such a simple device!

· Registered
1,418 Posts
I use them on all my shotguns but not my pistols; to me, pistol barrels are too short to justify a bore snake. A good swab works for me.
Bore snakes were a great quick clean for my Texas Panhandle trips I use to take. Usually a four day hunt - goose hunt, duck hunt, sandhill crane hunt, and then a pheasant hunt. I was prepared to break my Benellis all the way down, but a few passes with a bore snake and I was always ready for the next morning.

· Registered
973 Posts
i own multiple boresnakes, and do not understand how one can get theres stuck in a barrel. there is a length of string basically with a weight on the end that passes through the entire barrel before the cleaning part even makes contact. in this way you always have something sticking out either end. How can someone misuse such a simple device!
You have not been to the range with me. I can (and have) broken about anything that could be broken (boresnake included).

That said, I do use them, but I also carry a traditional cleaning kit with segmented rod.

· Registered
3,773 Posts

This^^^. Makes for good entertainment to watch somebody else try to figure it out.

They get worn out and rip in half part way thru the bore. Then you have a piece of soft rope stuck midway in your bore which cannot be pushed or pulled out as there is nothing to grab onto to pull. And trying to push it thru is worse than you can imagine. I had a friend get a piece stuck in his AR bore. After six hours he gave up. I took it home because I had a lightbulb moment and thought my airgun rod or brush may work. Being .177 Caliber with the bore brush on the rod I was able to push it in twist and snag it after about forty tries. Finally got it out.

But after that I'll pass.

Not to mention you do have to clean the bore snake eventually. How do you do that? I'm not looking to get divorced or deballed by the wife for putting them in the washing machine as some do.

A rod, brush and cotton patches which I can throw away will be what I use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.