SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aging eyes have left me no alternative other than to add lasers or light/laser combos to my pistols used for carry purposes. After many rounds down range to zero the laser, I bought a 9mm bore sight red dot laser to better align the laser with the bore sight red dot. However, it only works for horizontal alignment not vertical because the pistol barrel tilts up a bit with the bore sight laser in. The slide does not close all the way and the instructions clearly say not to close the slide 100% so as to not damage the bore sight. So the rail mounted laser is low at least 6 inches and obviously the farther out the range the wider the gap. Has anyone used this method to zero their lasers? Any comments or suggestions? ps - I'm using one that fits inside the bore, not inserted at the muzzle end.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This is the way all optics work. Optics provide a straight path to a bullet "point of impact" at some range. That is why we talk about a sight in with reference to a range. A laser is only zeroed at some range. At other ranges, the vertical will be off, this is normal (scopes and red dots work the same way).

I found laser bore sighters (at least most of the cheap consumer ones I have tried) to only be a good starting point, not an actual method for sighting in. Decide what range you will be zeroing your laser sight and then bench shoot it at that range until you get a zero.

What ultimately matters is that when you pull the trigger, the round impacts where you are aiming. You can do this by shooting groups and adjusting the laser sight accordingly. Again, the bore sighter should be a place to start (if you have to unmount your laser or something similar), not a way to check an actual sight in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If your iron sights are POA/ POI, decide what range you want your laser sighted for. While standing that far from your target, adjust your laser so it co-witnesses with your irons. Done.

My lima365 green laser has limitations. With a target in bright sunlight, my maximum usable range is about 10- 12 yards. With the target in shade, or on a cloudy day, the range increases to about 25 yards. In a building, there are no issues about seeing the laser at any distance. I have mine sighted for about 12 yards. I can still hit close to POA at any distance inside of 25 yards.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have a laser bore sighter that is in the shape of a 9mm round and it's loaded normally. Maybe a little difficult to remove, might need a pencil.
But, co-witnessing with iron sights is what you want.
Why so many rounds? Are you using a rest of some sort?
PS: I identify with the high rounds, but it's not a good thing, lol.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,722 Posts
If your iron sights are POA/ POI, decide what range you want your laser sighted for. While standing that far from your target, adjust your laser so it co-witnesses with your irons. Done.

My lima365 green laser has limitations. With a target in bright sunlight, my maximum usable range is about 10- 12 yards. With the target in shade, or on a cloudy day, the range increases to about 25 yards. In a building, there are no issues about seeing the laser at any distance. I have mine sighted for about 12 yards. I can still hit close to POA at any distance inside of 25 yards.
+1

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered a Sightmark Triple Duty Bore Sight. Got a good price off eBay and went for the green. The cheap chamber loaded 9mm bore sight is unreliable because I can't close the slide completely and I suspect it does not fit snugly in the barrel so the calibration is off. The triple duty has a spring loaded arbor that sits inside the muzzle, and is supposed to be accurately aligned. As I stated, my goal is to align my Armalaser TR27G for my P365 with the bore sight. Mostly I want to align horizontally (windage) then it should be easy to align vertically at the range. I'm not expecting perfection but should get dialed in enough to put some rounds through the "10" black circle at 8 yards. Since I have lasers or laser/light combos on most of my pistols I expect to save enough time and money to make it worthwhile. I'll report back, but it won't be for a couple of weeks. Shipping is slow and I need to take a break and get to the range.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P365XL
6 Posts
I have a laser bore sighter that is in the shape of a 9mm round and it's loaded normally. Maybe a little difficult to remove, might need a pencil.
But, co-witnessing with iron sights is what you want.
Why so many rounds? Are you using a rest of some sort?
PS: I identify with the high rounds, but it's not a good thing, lol.
What brand do you have. I have tried several and they 1) do not look like a round, and 2) the barrel blocks full insertion so that the barrel is still tipped up a bit when the gun is supposedly in battery (i.e., the rail will not close all the way forward). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I just looked. I also got the SightMark.
It was like this: Sightmark Laser Boresighter 9mm Luger Premium Laser Bore Sight (SM39015) 810119011213 | eBay

I also just took out my P365 and tried it, comparing it with the Lima across the house, maybe 30'.
I didn't have to use a pencil to get it out, it just fell out on its own. It fits fine.

The red and green dots were amazingly, to me, close. A little off horizontally. I think I zeroed the Lima at 50' in the past at the range. I might have to check it, lol.

This proves to me that this boresighter is indeed a viable method, to at least save some ammo, especially these days.
As I said, you can get close too by co-witnessing with the irons, if they're zeroed in, lol.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P365XL
6 Posts
What brand do you have. I have tried several and they 1) do not look like a round, and 2) the barrel blocks full insertion so that the barrel is still tipped up a bit when the gun is supposedly in battery (i.e., the rail will not close all the way forward). Thanks.
Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts