SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting to me that your average gun buff doesn't yet know about Dragon Skin Body Armor. For those interested, the traditional body armor of the U.S. armed forces consists of a ceramic plate that can take a few well-placed rifle shots, but the more hits it takes in the same place, the more it cracks. Dragon Skin body armor can protect a soldier lying down on a grenade without even busting a seam.

The secret behind its unparalleled strength lies in its scales. They’re made from ceramic carbide discs that interlock and overlap like chain mail. It can not only take more damage, but can spread the brunt of the impact over a greater surface area.

Having seen it in action, in my view, it's far more effective than the Interceptor vests currently used in the U.S. and has greater range of motion for the guy wearing it. In test after test, Dragon Skin has taken punishment from all sides and come out unscathed. While its been purchased for use by many SWAT teams across the country, we'll never see active duty on the battlefield until U.S. Forces reverse their claims that Dragon Skin did not meet army testing requirements. The results of what the army says were failed tests have been released to the public, but Pinnacle Armor (the manufacturer) still maintains that the shots fired did not penetrate the actual ceramic disks.

My point is - if it's good enough for the SWAT guys, why can't we get it in the Army? It's also lighter and nearly invisible under clothes.

Answer me this - would you get this type of vest if it was avalable to the public??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sadly, most contract specifications are written to favor a specific product. In the case of choosing a firearm for a police dept, the spec. may require a mechanical block to prevent displacement of the trigger without a finger depressing the trigger. That would disqualify anything that doesn't have the trigger like a Glock even though it meets the drop test. Manufacturers and distributors usually offer some sort of kickback to ensure their product is the only one that meets the specification. The politicians who make the purchases for the military look to benefit themselves more than the soldier on the line.
In response to purchasing for myself, it depends on the price. Shawn

Reactions: jtallen83

·
Registered
775 Posts
...The results of what the army says were failed tests have been released to the public, but Pinnacle Armor (the manufacturer) still maintains that the shots fired did not penetrate the actual ceramic disks.
What do the test results actually say?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere the adhesive that holds the scales together breaks down in high temp and can cause the plates to move.

Of course I could be wrong and it's simply a case of the makers of dragon skin haven't greased the right palms in Washington to have their product approved.

Reactions: Thunderkat

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Dragon skin is weakened by long exposure to moisture and or humidity. It needs to be thoroughly dried. Unless they fixed this problem, it is not suitable for battlefield conditions.

Cipher: Your issued gear is some of the best. If you think you are equipped with substandard armor, prove it please.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The first one isn't actually Dragon Skin; it says "from the makers of Dragon Skin". The second one, I have doubts about. The vest builder on their website doesn't match the configuration of that vest, but with the gov't, who knows?

Everything I've read about the testing the military has done on it, it's been a miserable failure. Beside the adhesive not standing up to heat, there was something about the scales shifting, leaving gaps in the vest. It's not as flexible, movement friendly or light as it was expected to be. It seems like a great concept, but everything I've seen says it's a ways away from being ready for the market.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The government gets more votes giving money to welfare recipients than protecting the lives of its soldiers.

Reactions: ChainsawAW

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
projectiles can penetrate by traveling between or underneath the scales.

To the best my knowledge Dragonskin is losing favor among some operators for this reason.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cipher: Your issued gear is some of the best. If you think you are equipped with substandard armor, prove it please.
You musta not had two M203 HE rounds fall out of your issued grenade vest on the top step of the DFAC to fall six feet to the ground and roll to the feet of the BC, XO, and CSM... oh yeah that was me in 2004... I and all the other grenadiers were authorized private purchase additional issue (Blackhawk) tout de suite.

·
Registered
775 Posts
...projectiles can penetrate by traveling between or underneath the scales. To the best my knowledge Dragonskin is losing favor among some operators for this reason.
That wouldn't surprise me: "Pinnacle Armor (the manufacturer) still maintains that the shots fired did not penetrate the actual ceramic disks."

So they didn't penetrate the actual disks, they just went around/between them? :eek:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The first one isn't actually Dragon Skin; it says "from the makers of Dragon Skin". The second one, I have doubts about. The vest builder on their website doesn't match the configuration of that vest, but with the gov't, who knows?

Everything I've read about the testing the military has done on it, it's been a miserable failure. Beside the adhesive not standing up to heat, there was something about the scales shifting, leaving gaps in the vest. It's not as flexible, movement friendly or light as it was expected to be. It seems like a great concept, but everything I've seen says it's a ways away from being ready for the market.

Ok, you convinced me to save $4500!:lol:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't do that re. proving it - I just believe all such testing should be above board and transparent - EXCEPT (and it's a BIG exception) if it gives the enemy any info they can exploit in theater.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't do that re. proving it - I just believe all such testing should be above board and transparent - EXCEPT (and it's a BIG exception) if it gives the enemy any info they can exploit in theater.
We all know the difference between should and does when it comes to our government...

Then, of course, there are the manufacturers who substitute inferior materials (inadvertently or purposely), or fail to use the correct stitching, or don't heat treat metal correctly, or...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts