SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the great info over the years. This is my first post to the forum.

Been carrying Sigs for over 20 years. The last 3 or 4 years its mostly been the P224 in .40 cal. Great little gun no-one seems to know much about or supply parts for. (It's not even listed in the models of Sig Sauer Pistols on this forum!) I just received three mag extenders that get my little finger on the grip-- found out about them on another thread here after looking for over a year, so thanks for that.

My question is if anyone has found any good "Big Dot" type bright sights specifically for the P224. The tritium has worn off the all-important front sight on mine and I train in the same glasses I usually wear which have progressive lenses since I'm an old fart now. :eek: This makes the front sight blurry, but no time to change glasses in a gunfight, so that's how I train.

Who's got good solutions for quick-acquisition sights for the P224?

Thanks

馃帠USA Veteran
Welcome to the forum. There are a few P224 owners here (myself included) who would be happy to help with any questions you might have.

The 224 uses the same night sights as other classic P-series models, so one option for you would be to replace your "dead" front sight with a new OEM sight of the same height. I've installed XS standard dot sights on some of my other SIGs and found them to be very effective. They also make the Big Dot version. I don't see the P224 listed on their web site but if you call them with the numbers off of your front and rear sights, they may be able to hook you up with a set that will work.

Registered
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the great info over the years. This is my first post to the forum.

Been carrying Sigs for over 20 years. The last 3 or 4 years its mostly been the P224 in .40 cal. Great little gun no-one seems to know much about or supply parts for. (It's not even listed in the models of Sig Sauer Pistols on this forum!) I just received three mag extenders that get my little finger on the grip-- found out about them on another thread here after looking for over a year, so thanks for that.

My question is if anyone has found any good "Big Dot" type bright sights specifically for the P224. The tritium has worn off the all-important front sight on mine and I train in the same glasses I usually wear which have progressive lenses since I'm an old fart now. :eek: This makes the front sight blurry, but no time to change glasses in a gunfight, so that's how I train.

Who's got good solutions for quick-acquisition sights for the P224?

Thanks

How do you feel about RMR? Reflex sights? Basically a red dot sight.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
I just installed the Trijicon HD XR sights on an older P220 I just picked up. I choose the "Orange" front, which really stands out during the daytime, and the front also has a tritium insert inside the "Orange" Dot, and the rear has 2 tritium tubes without white rings, so the rear appears "black" in normal light. In Low or No light, you still have the 3 green dots to align...

Attachments

Reactions: Spectre229

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ThnkFrst, and all, thanks for your info and willingness to help. I didn't know if all the standard "P" models used the same size sights. Good to know.

Willard and BerryAssaulter, I had been looking at the Trijicon HD XR sights, and think that might be the way to go for me, despite their cost. Guys online seem to think the orange front sight holds the light longer than the yellow one. Not really interested in an RMR on my P224, because I want to keep my small gun small and also not have to buy new holsters, but I love the RMR on my .35 Remington lever gun for deer hunting.

I did learn something else when looking at the Trijicon HD XR sights online. They "charge" by exposure to ambient or direct light. Maybe that's what "happened" to my front sight... which has spent 99% of its time in a safe or holster in the dark. Guess that is that how the stock Sig tritium sights work too...? I'll shoot my SureFire light at it for a while when I get a chance and test it out.

馃帠USA Veteran
SIG night sights are tritium, a radioactive element, that emits light. They do not require a light source to charge them up. But they will go dark over time.

ThnkFrst, and all, thanks for your info and willingness to help. I didn't know if all the standard "P" models used the same size sights. Good to know.

Willard and BerryAssaulter, I had been looking at the Trijicon HD XR sights, and think that might be the way to go for me, despite their cost. Guys online seem to think the orange front sight holds the light longer than the yellow one. Not really interested in an RMR on my P224, because I want to keep my small gun small and also not have to buy new holsters, but I love the RMR on my .35 Remington lever gun for deer hunting.

I did learn something else when looking at the Trijicon HD XR sights online. They "charge" by exposure to ambient or direct light. Maybe that's what "happened" to my front sight... which has spent 99% of its time in a safe or holster in the dark. Guess that is that how the stock Sig tritium sights work too...? I'll shoot my SureFire light at it for a while when I get a chance and test it out.
No the tritium is a radioactive gas enclosed in a capsule with a phosphor "screen" at one end, like an old "TV" tube, as the "electrons" are "bouncing" off the "walls" of the tube, when they bounce off the phosphor coated end, they create "light". They continue to dim over the years, normally 11-12 years, before they are too faint to see.

Some manufactures use "paint" surrounding the capsules in the sight, use phosphorescent paint, which "stores" ambient light for short periods, don't receive enough "light" from the tritium tubes to glow.

A slightly different option, is Ameriglo sights https://ameriglo.com/collections/sig-xd/products/sig-xd-spartan-operator-sets

Registered
How do you like the black rear sights? (not that I use them within 7 yards anyway) For longer shots, do you sacrifice accuracy?
hi sigger

i swapped out the stock night sights for the xray3 sights on my new P229.
i love them.

having bright rear dots can interfere with front sight focus imho, and thus hurt accuracy instead of helping.
i was taught to use the notch for a perfect sight picture.

Registered
Welcome to the forum. There are a few P224 owners here (myself included) who would be happy to help with any questions you might have.

The 224 uses the same night sights as other classic P-series models, so one option for you would be to replace your "dead" front sight with a new OEM sight of the same height. I've installed XS standard dot sights on some of my other SIGs and found them to be very effective. They also make the Big Dot version. I don't see the P224 listed on their web site but if you call them with the numbers off of your front and rear sights, they may be able to hook you up with a set that will work.
That is not accurate. I have a brand new P224 in 40 cal and the factory sights it came with were; 8 front and 10 rear. Most P series use 8 and 8. A few use 8 and 6 depending on caliber.

Premium Member
Poppastar a.k.a. pops
That is not accurate.
Don't poke the bear, grasshopper. He's one of our best here. What's not accurate?

The P serires typically has a #8 front/rear in 9mm & .357 Sig. #6/#8 front/rear in .40 S&W. As every gun is different, many have left the factory with a different set up for accuracy as is probably the case with your gun.

Welcome BTW, the P224 is a great gun.

That is not accurate. I have a brand new P224 in 40 cal and the factory sights it came with were; 8 front and 10 rear. Most P series use 8 and 8. A few use 8 and 6 depending on caliber.
If you need a #10 rear, check with XS to see if they have a version for the Springfield XD. Ameriglo, another vendor uses the same front sizes for their Sig and Springfield XD, yet the rears, while using the same dovetail size, the Springfield XD is sized as a #10 Sig, while the Sig is sized as a #8.

Reactions: snipermedic01

Registered
I have the same vision issue as you Siggerhappy. I have XS big Dot sights on almost all of the SIG's I might carry.

Since I'm in my early fifties, I use reading glasses now and the front sight distance at which I punch out with a pistol is within that reading glass distance. I find that the largest white front sight possible works best for me, so all of my big dot sights are white-ringed. I believe they are phasing the white ones out for green. You may find that green works just as well, but for me both orange and green blurs out more than white. I dunno' why, but there it is.

As for SIG sight heights, I find that the only classic SIG pistol of mine which XS dot sights are less compatible is my P225A1, which shoots slightly high with them; that's 'cause it came from the factory with lower 6,6 Siglite sights. All of my P229's, and P239's, both in .40 and 9mm shoot to point of aim with XS big or standard dot sights.

Automotive tire Table Wood Gas Tire

I haven't tried it on either of my P226's, which have a stock bar/dot set and white TruGlo Tritium Pro sights, respectively. I don't own a P224. My carry 9mm DA/SA P239 also has white TruGlo Tritium Pro sights, which work almost as well as XS sights for me. They are a blacked out, textured rear with only the tritium dots, and a prominent white front dot tritium sight.

If you need sights in SIG heights, these TruGlo Tritium Pros do come in standard SIG .40 and 9mm/.357 heights, but nothing more exotic than that. They're also, last time I checked, only about $80 a set.

Furniture Table Light Tire Wood

So consider these options, and if you go with XS sights, try to handle some and check the white vs green contrast thing, in case it is significant to you. I believe they are closing out the white ones, and so they are a mite cheaper. Of course the tritium "born on" date of the white ones will probably be earlier. Sorry for the sucky pics.

馃帠USA Veteran
That is not accurate.
I was referring to the fit of the sights themselves into the slide dovetail on classic P-series pistols; they are all the same size so sights fit all. Sight height, however, will very depending on caliber, pistol model and even from unit to unit of the same model.

Hope that clarifies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.