SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want an all purpose rifle that is easier to hunt with than the .223 (not saying it can't be done, but if you are brand new to hunting you will probably wound a lot of animals before you recover one), go with the m716. The ONLY thing I don't like about the m716 is it's tough to get used to the recoil at first (expect some shoulder bruises if you take advantage of the semi auto .308 fire, and also the ammo cost. It's nice though the m716 also can fire any 7.62 ammo which helps with the cost of target practice a bit over traditional .308 rifles.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Sure are a lot of 223 haters on this board.

I've never hunted with anything but my 223 AR. Put down more hogs and deer than I could count, and I can count on 1 hand the number that I have to track, and I have never lost one.

Longest track was a little over 100 yds, and that was cause I pulled the shot.

223 with the right ammo and shot placement is more than adequate to kill deer and hogs and most animals in NA.

Personally, I use the Federal Fusion 62gr ammo. Groups right around 1moa in my AR's and its easy to find and fairly cheap to boot.

I'll take a light fast round over a heavy slow round every time. Hydrostatic shock damage is much more persuasive than most people will acknowledge.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The 223 round is excellent for Coyotes. If you want to hunt larger game get a good lever action or bolt action in 30/30 or larger. You could buy both. If you go with a Sig M400 or Colt LE6920 and pick up a used Marlin 336 or similar rifle. Both could easily be had for what a new Sig716 cost. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I never have understood how it can be considered "unethical" to shoot large game with a 223 but sporting to use a bow?????? Seems bassackwards to me.

Reactions: Edsel

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've used .223 on many different game or vermin.
It's all about choosing the right load. Winchester 64gr soft points 223, for example, dropped a 200lb hog dead in its place.

With a good shot, it would have done the same to a fair sized buck.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
I never have understood how it can be considered "unethical" to shoot large game with a 223 but sporting to use a bow?????? Seems bassackwards to me.
"Seems" or you really don't understand why?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
"Seems" or you really don't understand why?
It is backwards to me. A well placed shot with a 223 will drop a deer much easier than an arrow. I understand why, people with little knowledge of ballistics and hunting make the rules according to what they feel instead of facts. My home state of Iowa is a prime example of stupid hunting laws, shotguns, muzzleloaders, and bows get the nod but god forbid I shoot a deer with my 716:confused:

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
The ONLY thing I don't like about the m716 is it's tough to get used to the recoil at first (expect some shoulder bruises if you take advantage of the semi auto .308 fire, and also the ammo cost.
Hit this link for the solution to that shoulder bruise issue.

muzzle-brakes-field-test/

·
🎖USN Retired
7,720 Posts
For Hunting, get a Remington 700 like most hunters.
For a Sig, Get a 716 for 308 caliber or a M400 in 300BLK.
Not a hunter, but talk to allot and stayed at fancy hotels..

Reactions: animalhd1

·
Registered
47 Posts
The OP said he wants to possibly use the rifle for hunting. That rules out the 516 (unless he is only hunting rabbits).
Well ****, My first AR is the Sig 516 Patrol. I purchased it for hunting and killing them two legged uneatable kinds. I guess I must now put it in the cabinet with the Gamo air rifles and go get a real gun, huh :p

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
This is his first rifle. IMHO the M400 would be the better choice. Familiarize yourself with the AR platform first. Then go with a 516/716 piston gun if you want. Meanwhile get a separate hunting rifle. There's a reason the military and cops carry ARs, they are effective man stoppers in the standard 5.56 caliber. They are a lot cheaper to shoot than a 308 or 300 black out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would personally stay with the standard .308/7.62 NATO, rather than the more exotic rounds like the .300BlackOut or 6.5 Creedmore etc etc. Not that those are not fine performing rounds.

I do use the ARs/AKs for sport, but in the back of my mind, I own them for if the ****. If things get ugly, you are more likely to be able to scrounge-up .308/7.62 NATO.

Reactions: jtallen83

·
Registered
519 Posts
I never understood why people proclaim the 5.56 cannot kill a deer or other game.

I shot a bear with one round of ss109 ... right through the heart. Shot deer with similar results.

When I skinned it, I was horrified to see the damage caused by the velocity of the round. There was a five inch diameter circle of purple jello surrounding the wound channel.

I call bs on anyone that claims it is an ineffective round for hunting.
I have never used a 5.56x45 on western mule deer, but have used the 22-250. With the right bullet, I agree. I believe there are better choices, but they get the job done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey guys I have heard that Sig sauer makes one of the best ar15 rifles (from a salesman at academy)
Is that correct?
If so which model would you recommend for someone who is new to ar15s for multipurpose usage such as range and hunting?
Thanks in advance
I'm a pistol shooter who just recently decided to jump on the AR band wagon. Not that it matters but after a lot of research, I choose the 516. At first I was thinking about a rifle that I could have fun at the range with and hunt with, etc. But I concluded, having fun at the range and hunting are two different worlds and require two different sets of tools. I realized that I'd probably be using this rifle 99% of the time at the range, having fun. So, I ordered the 516. The 5.56 is fun to shoot and in comparison to the 308, it's very cheap to shoot. If I decide to get back into deer hunting, I'll go buy me a nice bolt action.

So, I sit patiently waiting for my 516. Can anyone give me any idea how long I can expect to wait?

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Byrdman - it's a good question. I certainly agree that every family should have access to a long gun - primarily for defense. If your home is ever the target of multiple bad guys - you need to quickly get your handgun, get your family together in the most defendable location - where your rifle is also kept!

The tactical rifle - AR in 5.56/223 is broadly owned because it can be so effective, fun & affordable to own and shoot.

I know several guys that use ARs and bolt action rifles in this caliber for varmint hunting. One really serious varmint guy cuts down my 223 brass to load his 22-250 ammo. His is a custom rifle, scope and tripod kit - very exotic stuff. But then, he's shooting prairie dogs at 600 to 800yds.

As C Dog mentions above, a big game hunting rifle is probably a different gun for most folks.

Here in Colorado, deer & elk hunters typically carry at least 30.06 bolt action guns, and a lot have 7mm & 300 WinMag. The most popular bolt guns are Remington 700s. These rifles are equipped with scopes and bipods to make a few precision shots at 300 to 600+ yd ranges. Their ammo is relatively expensive, but these hunting rifles are probably shot only 10 or 12 rounds a season.

For perspective, after you get your 1st rifle I'll strongly suggest that you quickly sign yourself up for a good full day or 2 evenings tactical rifle training class. During that 1st class you should be shooting several hundred rounds. Yeah, we typically run these ARs much harder than a hunting rifle.

Oh, one more thought is that while SIG does make some very nice rifles, I own 516, MCX ARs in 5.56, and a SSG3000 bolt gun in 308, but there are good ARs that cost a lot less too. So, if you do start with AR and saving some coin is a priority, consider other brands as well...

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
I assume you saying they had to order it for you? If so, I'd say they (Academy?) will have to give you that answer.

I can tell you that you'll enjoy the 516 once you do get it!
Yeah...Had to order it. I want the 516 in ODG and the company where I buy my sigs only had one 516 FDE in stock. They're unable to give me any kind of timeline. Said we're pretty much at the mercy of Sig.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yeah...Had to order it. I want the 516 in ODG and the company where I buy my sigs only had one 516 FDE in stock. They're unable to give me any kind of timeline. Said we're pretty much at the mercy of Sig.
I see. Sorry to hear that, but hopefully it won't take too long. I don't know anything about ordering from Sig directly. Good luck!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.