SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently joined the SIG family ( I just bought a M11-A1 ). My question is what has been the best performing 9mm defensive load for the P229? I've done plenty of research for loads for a Glock 19, but I plan to switch to my M11-A1 once I feel that I have put plenty time behind the trigger with it. I'm open to any advise and/or opinions. Also, any thoughts on using Ballistol on SIGs. Ballistol has worked great for all my other firearms, just wondering. Thanks!

Reactions: domvillan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input. I have on hand some Federal 9BPLE, Speer GD 124gr +P and 147gr, and Winchester PDX1 147gr. I would actually use Cor-Bon DPX if it wasn't for the price. Thanks again and I can't wait to put rounds through it, hopefully tomorrow!

·
Read Only
2,655 Posts
It eats everything! I also have glocks they eat same food all fine!

And Ballistol works fine, Rem oil, note some oils will probably remove DOD sticker on slide, put aside to preserve for future use anyway. Another good secrete is 3n1 oil ( aka baseball glove oil) on holsters, but it will remove DOD, otherwise excellent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From everything I've researched, Federal is the best ammunition overall, including price and reliability. When time comes to buy more defensive ammo, Federal will be my first choice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have done extensive 9mm bullet testing on wild boar...

Dpx
HST
Gold Dot 124gr
Ranger 127 +p+
Corbon 124gr jhp

Those are my favorites.

...agree. All are excellent rounds. I usually load up with either Corbon or Hornady, albeit Gold Dots are a favorite as well. Any of the ammo you cited will put a real hurt on a BG.

Tarheel

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Any of the modern hollow points that cycles reliably through your gun. If the first shot doesn't stop the attacker just pull the trigger again.

Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
"Best performing defensive 9mm ammo for a M11-A1 / P229"
I have this mental image of Mark Harmon and Cote de Pablo, at the Academy Awards.
And the winner is...
The one you shoot accurately, and is a good quality hollow point round.
Rule 3: "Don't believe what you're told. Double check."

Reactions: Nubs0311 and Mickey

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Best performing defensive 9mm ammo for a M11-A1 / P229"
I have this mental image of Mark Harmon and Cote de Pablo, at the Academy Awards.
And the winner is...
The one you shoot accurately, and is a good quality hollow point round.
Rule 3: "Don't believe what you're told. Double check."
Totally agree. Well, today I shot my M11-A1 & it was awesome. I put 250+ rds through and it was extremely accurate. I shot 100rds of Perfecto (Wal-Mart special / Italian made brass ammo) 115gr, 50 rds of Blazer brass 124 gr, 50rds of HPR 147gr, 25+rds of Winchester PDX1 147gr, & 25rds of Federal 9BPLE 115gr +P+. All were accurate, but the Blazer performed the best. I am definitely sold on SIGs. The SRT on the M11-A1 was great. I can't wait until my holster gets here. Now all I need to do is start saving up for a 226R or 229R to replace the Glock 17 for home defense. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Federal 9BPLE, Winchester Ranger 115gr +P+, & Win Ranger T any grain. Thoughts?

Anybody with experiences with Federal 9BPLE, Winchester Ranger 115gr +P+, and Winchester Ranger T 9mm any grain in SIG pistols? Obviously, there are or were a lot of LE agencies that carried and used these rounds. I was wanting to know if anybody had any real world experience with any of these rounds, particularly in SIG pistols? Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.