SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got myself a 229 in .357sig. I also have a very old 229 in .40 cal I used to carry but shes seen much better days.

So now as a duty weapon I am going to be carrying my .357 sig 229.

I used a LOT of speer gold dot 180g in my .40 however I know the 357 has a much flatter trajectory , and a much hotter round coming off her.

So my question is what is in your opinions, the best HPJ ammo for a 229 in .357? Should I stick with gold dot? or is there something better that I am unaware of :-D thanks :-D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm probably going to get slammed here but I use Doubletapp 125 gr bonded hollow point. For me the advertised velocity is spot on, and is actually in the range the 357 Sig was first designed around/targeted.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
.357 Sig was expressly designed to propel 125 gr. bullets at high pressure/velocity.

Many of the "soft-shooting" .357 Sig loads are actually just under-powered.

Buffalo Bore and Underwood make .357 Sig SD rounds the way the cartridge was designed to be made, and therefore that's what I use. There are probably others that make the round the "right" way too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever you can find really. Fed HST, Win Ranger T, or Speer GD's. Due to the FPS, energy, and bottleneck cartridge it isn't as important is picking a load in 9mm. Get what you can find.
I HEAR THAT!. I drove over 120 miles looking for .357 sig last week. Found bubkis. Ended up finding a lone box of 125 WWB for a high price. Using that as my duty ammo right now. Only thing to worry about is nasty volumes of over penetration until I get some HPJ :-D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Speer Gold Dot here...look for a dished hollow point...or at least a bullet designed to be a 357 SIG and not just a 9mm...

Bill

·
Registered
538 Posts
I HEAR THAT!. I drove over 120 miles looking for .357 sig last week. Found bubkis. Ended up finding a lone box of 125 WWB for a high price. Using that as my duty ammo right now. Only thing to worry about is nasty volumes of over penetration until I get some HPJ :-D
Your going to hate me then I just got 300 rounds of Remington JHP at the gun show last weekend for a good price and 3 boxes of WWB at walmart.

I use Ranger Ts. Check Vances gun shop online I seem to remember them having a case of Ranger Ts for a fair price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your going to hate me then I just got 300 rounds of Remington JHP at the gun show last weekend for a good price and 3 boxes of WWB at walmart.

I use Ranger Ts. Check Vances gun shop online I seem to remember them having a case of Ranger Ts for a fair price.

Yep. hate you haha

I found some Speer GD 125's online. 50 round boxes for $36 plus shipping, planning on ordering about 10 tomorrow haha That should tide me over for a bit, However with the last american lead smelting plant closing its doors soon, we may want to buy everything we can NOW lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
Speer makes two different .357 Sig Gold Dot rounds in 50 round boxes. One is rated 1350 fps and one is rated 1375 fps. Bulk Ammo had both in stock this morning. The Remington Golden Saber is very impressive in gel testing on YouTube. My favorite and number one pick is Underwood 125 grain.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I carried the corbon DPX for 2 years. It just has become too hard to find at an affordable price when it comes time to swap out duty loads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.