SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently, either the finish on both of my P320 barrels (P320F RX and P320C .40) stinks or the tolerances are so tight compared to my P226 Legion which shows literally zero wear after almost 1,000 rounds.

My P320 RX has paint at the front corners of the barrel hood chipped off (literally showing silver) after it's first couple of mags last month and today I only put 70 rounds through my new P320C .40 barrel and it's already showing accelerated wear (no chips though). I use a good amount of Weapon Shield on the barrel hood and some on the inside/top of the slide so it can't be a lubrication issue (I use it on all of my pistols). I have many different brands and none wear like these P320 barrels.

Can these chips be touched up somehow or does it need to go back to Sig if I cannot get over my OCD with a new pistol? Of course all I see now when looking at the top of my slide is the chips on the barrel hood! :p

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Birchwood Casey sells touch up pens that can temporarily cover up the chips, won't last forever but better than nothing.

Reactions: JohnK1987

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: It's going back to Sig... called and initiated the warranty process. Asked to send photos so they can decide whether the slide and/or pistol needs to also go back. I hope I can retain the FCU so I can use it in my compact while it's gone!

Here are a couple of quick pics of the damage I was referring to...

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ouch. That doesn't look normal. I have some wear but more like normal running wear. That looks like chunks were actually taken out. Glad you got in touch with them for warranty. They should take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ouch. That doesn't look normal. I have some wear but more like normal running wear. That looks like chunks were actually taken out. Glad you got in touch with them for warranty. They should take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortunately, it's just the paint/coating (it's smooth and down to the metal/stainless), but that is definitely not normal... something is not aligned properly. Yeah, any wear I have on other barrels is even and over time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not the first time I've seen something like this. Another place is to the side of the barrel/hood-- some have reported it chipping off metal. Oddly enough, the slide doesn't look bothered by it though the barrel looks to be taking a beating.

I'm keeping a close eye on mine as I have it on the side of the barrel. And, on the slide to barrel hood contact point I noticed isn't as ''sharp'' as my other sig (SP2022) with at least three times the rounds through it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Off to the domestic motherland this morning. They requested the entire firearm, including mags, to make sure the issue is resolved properly... fingers crossed!

What stinks is I cannot shoot my compact without the FCU... hmmm... I think I "need" a sub-compact or carry model in 9mm... :)

Reactions: Lane73

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Update: It's going back to Sig... called and initiated the warranty process. Asked to send photos so they can decide whether the slide and/or pistol needs to also go back. I hope I can retain the FCU so I can use it in my compact while it's gone!

Here are a couple of quick pics of the damage I was referring to...
This does not bode well for what lies ahead in the Army. At least Sig is taking care of it.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
John Now you understand why these x change kits may not be much of a deal !! Other than grip/frame options I have no use for a kit . You will see FCU for sale from time to time . Might want to watch for one and buy it .

Hope your pistols returns quickly .

Mine has the more typical wear or scuffed up look on top of the chambers hood and no touch is needed or wanted as it will only wear again .

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Another Update:

Got e-mail from Sig CS this morning...

"The gunsmith took a look at your firearm and did not seem to think this was excessive wear. He suggests lubricating the metal to metal contact services to slow the wear process but says even if he replaced the barrel it would just wear again."

Ohhhhh... you're supposed to lubricate a pistol? I did not know that. Seriously... it's a brand new pistol with just under 100 rounds and only one trip to the range. It is the only pistol I have ever owed that showed any significant wear after a few magazines were run through it, never mind the complete stripping of finish down to bare metal. I know what normal wear patterns look like. Are they trying to tell us that these pistols were designed to wear like this? That this is completely normal?

You don't have to be a gunsmith or armorer to have some common sense and understand that either the barrel or slide is slightly out of spec... one or the other (or both) need to be replaced (unless they can somehow work on the slide to resolve the issue).

I did not pay $800 for this RX to be told basically to live with it... we'll see if they step up to the plate and do the right thing by the customer... or are they too busy focusing on their upcoming military contract? I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt still for now... fingers crossed. I wish we knew some people out at Sig that could look into these issues! Absolutely frustrating! Sorry folks, I need to vent a little! :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.