SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this brand new p229 scorpion 9mm and noticed what seems to me like unusually excessive barrel wear for a new gun out of the box. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Probably from folks racking the slide in the store and testing the trigger dry firing it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
When I picked up my 229 Scorpion a few years ago it looked similar. After one magazine it was all full of smileys:) It wouldn't bother me a bit with testing at the factory and LGS racking.

Oh and welcome from KS.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
That isn't barrel wear- it is finish wear. Sigs build their guns pretty tight, and it doesn't take long for finish wear to show because of how tight the barrels lock up when cycled. I agree- that gun has had the slide racked many times. Regardless, it will look like that after running rounds through the gun, so it is not a matter of if the wear will show, but when. It creates those wear patterns on the finish, but it doesn't harm the barrel- the wear is in the finish, not the metal. Check the barrel on a 1,000 Sigs, you will find a 1,000 barrels with smilies on them.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finish wear

Thanks for responding to my post. Yeah I know that sig barrels take gas. I keep my p220 barrel slathered to prevent this as much as possible. I've seen some range guns that actually have a groove worn into the barrel. Thanks again glad to be here.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I picked up this brand new p229 scorpion 9mm and noticed what seems to me like unusually excessive barrel wear for a new gun out of the box. Anyone have thoughts on this?
For what it's worth, the barrel of my new out of the box Mk25 have the same finish wear on the barrel....you will notice that the wear increases as you rack the slide more frequently and more so once you get rounds thru it.:eek:

Welcome to sigtalk!;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts