SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Barrel polished.. !!

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rmfnla 
#1 ·
Hey,
Can't find stainless steel barrel for my P365-380 anywhere ,,
So I polished it and the feed ramp too .. turned out great ..
Went to range and shot 200rds smoothly .
Next is my M-Carbo Flat trigger so they will match .. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Reminds me of the guy I used to know, that had the exposed chamber hood of his West German P226 9mm barrel "jeweled/engine turned"...

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Leg Grille
The Chief wasn't happy that he had it done to his department owned duty weapon... 🤬

#13 ·
I ordered a P239 (BBL-239-357) barrel from Numerich for a new .40 P239. The barrel had been used slightly as evident by the hood scrapes but there was only a hint of a barrel "smiley". It was their only one and at the time and seemed to be the last one in the country. I had no problems keeping it considering that I would be shooting through it, and imparting more wear that it currently had which was hardly any.

There's a thing that I do with my classic P's where I use an Arkansas stone to round off the sharp edges of the hood opening on the underside/inside of the slide. This minimizes the scrapes on the hood. I also use these stones to clean up the jaggies on the slide where the slide catch lever engages so the lever releases the slide more easily. Makes a huge difference.

Anyway, regarding the barrel - I decided to pretty up the scrapes and was going to blacken the hood but first the scrapes had to go. Used 600 and 1200 wet paper to polish up the viewable hood surface leaving the rest of the barrel black. I liked it being silver colored so I left it.

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Line Automotive design

Trigger Bumper Automotive exterior Office equipment Electronic device

Light Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Red

#14 ·
Are these barrels stainless? If so they shouldn't get any rust patina. I was considering cerakote on my former Leo P229 but got mixed reviews, some people swear by it, others say it's garbage! I don't know because I do not have any experience with the process. The frame is flawless no Nicks dings or scratches, the slide has a few minor imperfections, not bad at all considering its age and probable history,AL48XXX. So was considering stripping and brush finishing it. Anybody out there done that yet, if so how'd it turn out?

#18 ·
I agree with the rust resistant not rust proof. But not all stainless is created equal! There are many different grades, and 2 be honest don't know much about that. What I do know from my experience at sea is that absolutely rust proof stainless steel is extremely weak, when you start adding carbon to strengthen the stainless then you're adding the rust potential. And I suppose that my cerakote question will probably get as many different answers as responses! I like the idea of it, but I seriously doubt that it would be nearly as durable as nitron. As much as I would like my to P229 Leo to be dressed in FDE ( I found a company locally that will do it for $150 if I disassemble/ reassemble) I think ultimately if it's not better or at least the same durability at what I have, probably better off just leave it alone!

#19 ·
I've been wanting to get the barrel on my 9mm P365 bead blasted but have hesitated because of the rust thing.

It's annoying that the barrel is not SS, but non-SS really is a better material for that application.

Keep us posted on how it ages!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.