SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Barrel fitting problem.

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  markm 
#1 ·
I have a Sig P220 in 9mm imported by PWA. I believe that it is one of the converted .38 Super pistols. I obtained a Sig/Broening .38 Super P220 barrel. I swapped barrels, but the .38 Super barrel does not allow the slide to come into battery on the pistol. I have dropped it in the slide and it seems to fit, but when placed on the frame, it lack about 3/8" to come back and seat.

I have tried the barrel in another P220 and it is fine. It appears to have a slightly different feed ramp than the 9mm barrel. Called Sig one rep says, "Sure, send it in", ;) one rep says, "No. sorry we can't fit the barrel because we can't replace it.":mad: Any thoughts from the group?

#3 ·
dmcc280z, according to Gun Parts Corp, the same locking insert they are selling works for 9mm, .38 Super, and .30 Luger. They also so the same breech block for all 3 calibers!
Can you post pictures of both barrels side by side from all directions for comparison? Use of graph paper as a background would also help judge angles if you have any handy.

Sig USA CS Reps may be of limited help, since none of these were made here, but in Germany.

#4 ·
I had a similar issue with a refinished slide on a P6. It just needed a little work because the finish material was too thick and didn't let the barrel sit properly. I'm sure a little stoning and you'll be good to go. I don't have any advice on that, though. I'm sure a good SIG armorer could "fit" your barrel.

#5 ·
In the mail.

Thanks all, for the advice. Unfortunately, the pistol was already on it's way to Sig under a work order to fit the barrel. Physical inspection of the exterior, indicated that the lug was slightly more narrow on the non-fitting .38 Super barrel.

I suspect that it may be the hood fit or the feed ramp extension. The barrel fits with no issues in another P220 .38 Super I have. I would think that the armorers at Sig would be able to solve the problem in 15 minutes or less and get 15% off of there car insurance.:D

I will know more shortly. If they will not fit, they will return it. The hits just keep on coming!

#7 ·
Might just need some taken off the front of the rear locking lug so it can clear the hump on the locking block while the front lower lug comes up from under. I have no experience with that barrel but of the many Sig barrels I have fit there is the hood (obvious), the bottom of the rear locking lug to clear the locking block and sometimes (depending on how much you took off the previous) the front of that lug. But without seeing it who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.