SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this thread is in the wrong place. The format of this forum is quite different from what I'm used to over at the S&W forum.

My inquiry is about compatibility of barrels between the different pistols. I just picked up a P224 Equinox in .40 and I have a P239 in .357. I was hoping the barrels would be interchangeable, but after field stripping both, it seems that isn't the case. Barrels are dimensionally very similar, but the locking lugs are a bit different. Is that just different generations, (my 239 is several years older than my 224) or are they different platforms?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome, they are different models that require barrels made for that model.

Barrels in 40 and 357sig in one model can not be changed to another model but with in that model they can. Sometimes they may need minor fitting.

Same thing can be said about slides. Sig manufactures frames in the USA and Germany. Their exchange kits only work with US made frames. Weird i know.

Now since you have two guns in 40 and 357sig you can get sig manufactured barrels that fit and if you want to add a third caliber,9mm, you can get barrels from barsto barrels.

I have shot a friends p229 that is in 40 and he has 9mm barsto barrel. Shoots good just have to get the 9mm mags with the barrel.

Me I have a p229 in 357sig and the lgs added a 40 barrel for no cost when I bought it. I will add a 9mm barsto barrel when funds free up.

Current project though is to add 357sig barrels to my p239/226 in 40 in the near future.

One of the sticky subjects in the forum has a chart for barrel capatibility with models.

Hope this helps.

Ps. There is videos on fitting sig barrels on YouTube.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight. Where can I find the chart in the stickies? I looked back at the archived stickies, but only saw 4 and none of them were on barrels.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was checking BB of GV about my newly acquired P224 and saw that the Equinox's only came in .40S&W. Is there any issue with swapping in a .357 barrel? I mean the Equinox should be the same mechanically as other P224's, correct? Why did they make the Equinox .40 cal only as it came from the factory?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was checking BB of GV about my newly acquired P224 and saw that the Equinox's only came in .40S&W. Is there any issue with swapping in a .357 barrel? I mean the Equinox should be the same mechanically as other P224's, correct? Why did they make the Equinox .40 cal only as it came from the factory?
Ok, I'm guessing the sound of crickets either means no one knows, or I'm just asking a stupid, redundant question. I went ahead and ordered the .357 sig barrel for my 224 and I'll post a range report after I receive it and have a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You can change the barrels between all three calibers on the 224, provided you start with a 40 or 357 caliber gun. I have a nickel 40 cal and dropped in a 357 barrel and I have put my 9mm barrel from my 224 nitron in it also. I have not used the 40 barrel in a long time. I like the 357.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got my replacement .357 barrel for my 224 from Optics Planet today after FedEx said it was going to be delivered the 3rd, then the 5th, and finally settling on the 6th. But, hey, it was free economy shipping after all. I would have been good if they hadn't been teasing me with earlier delivery promises. It slipped right in with no fitting and I think the dark grey color contrasts nicely with the Equinox slide. I can't wait to go out and give it a try. Kudos to member Ni Hao for letting me know about the Optics Planet deal.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.