SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Actually, these are pistols, not rifles.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Does that mean they're not pistols? There is a MPX rifle and a pistol, so discussion on the pistol may be found under a rifle forum, but not likely the initial OP. The link you provided is under "guns," not Sig Sauer Rifles. Not only that, but this is a duplicate thread. Not trying to be a dick, just informative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't get it? I am well aware the MPX comes in both versions. The point is the vast majority, over 98% of the MPX pistol discussions are under the rifle section. A quick search under the pistol section showed no MPX topics. I did not design the forum just posted where I found the subject area most utilized. The additional link I provided was just to further the discussion. I can provide twenty links from the last few days on MPX pistol discussions all from the rifle section. I am not trying to start a pissing match my first day as a member here but I don't follow your part of this conversation.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Right on, brah!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wonder if / when we can get a copy of the ATF letter(s) as I've actually been questioned about my SB Tactical MPX brace by more that one RSO.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Today I went to the shooting range at Adventure Outdoors just outside of Atlanta, and after I was done shooting, one of the guys who worked there said "you never showed us your stamp."

I replied- "sorry, what?"

"Your tax stamp on your SBR. We need to see it"

"I have a pistol with a pistol brace"

"That's a shoulder stock"

So I pull the MPX out of the bag and show him the brace, and say "this is definitely a pistol brace"

"That's a shoulder stock"

Then he said something about how if you hold that against your shoulder, it's now a shoulder stock; it's an SBR, and he now needs to see my NFA tax stamp.

I asked him if he was familiar with the letter that the ATF released about a week ago, stating that the SB Tactical brace can be fired from the shoulder.

He said, "That letter hasn't gone into effect yet" :lol::lol::lol:

He also said "That letter only refers to inadvertently shoulder the brace, which you were not doing"

I wasn't going to sit there and argue with him... I could tell it would be a complete waste of time, and regardless of what I could tell him, we weren't going to come to an agreement. He appeared to have the demeanor that he was right, I was wrong, and there was no convincing him otherwise.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
J45404 - Very sad!! Am sure the ownership of this range actually want shooters to come to their facility - and pay good money for that access. Uninformed and thoughtless harassment probably doesn't support their interest.

If in a weak moment, you ever decide to give them another chance, suggest that you bring along a copy of the recent ATF 'clarification' letter and ask to see the management of this range. They may not know about this outrageous employee, and would probably greatly appreciate learning about your experience.

Heck, a brief phone call may help too...

Cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of "little man" syndrome going on there. As in, since he jumped through the hoops to get a stamp, he's going to be a total dick and make life hard on folks that haven't gotten the stamp.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If he's not ATF or law enforcement then what business does he have inspecting NFA stamps?
Some ranges require you agree to provide tax stamps for membership or entrance. CYA for them. I'd find another place to shoot before I would agree.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
For what its worth, ranges have a responsibility to make sure their patrons are adhering to the law. Not knowing the law is one thing but its hard to fault the guy for doing what he believes is right...even if he does sound like a meat head. Considering the recent changes I would think everyone here would understand that some facilities may not be completely up to speed on this matter. I'm sure some people will look at this situation as an opportunity for confrontation but I think the vast majority will take it for what it is...a minor inconvenience and a chance to educate.

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of "little man" syndrome going on there. As in, since he jumped through the hoops to get a stamp, he's going to be a total dick and make life hard on folks that haven't gotten the stamp.
Whoa, what's what the the ***** hate?

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me either, lots of people are sore that they paid the money and went through the trouble to SBR while others just pushed the "easy button" and bought a brace. Just looking on some other rifle based forums the butthurt over this is crazy. Personally I see advantages to both routes and think people should just choose what works best for their situation and not belittle others for their decision.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I argued the point today with a range that im a member at, told them to google it!!!

If you pay attention, they actually kind of adress the lagality of it in the original letter, by saying "redisign". My range guy read the old letter, then the new letter and he admitted to me that that key word was what changed it. Someone at the ATF needs a dictionary, lol. As long as you don't "redisign" it, your good.

Even the ATF guy they ask ( I guess a customer or something) said it still wasn't legal, but I asked the range officer, " you think every cop knows every ordnance number? Or detail by heart? Every IRS agent, every tax code?" He said, "no", I said, " Then I bet your 'ATF' guy doesn't know everything, either". It got real quiet.... I went and shot my MCX.....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts