SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time classic Sig fan. Though I have a fair number of newer "plastic" Sig's (and other brands) my true love is all metal DA/SA guns. I keep one in each car in a bolted in lock box, but always worry about losing a $600-1000 gun with a vigorous break in. A few days ago I ran across an Astra A-100, a 226 almost clone in good condition for under $400 and snapped it up. Decent trigger, a little heavier than a Sig due to an all steel construction, and so far, after a little under 400 rounds of all varieties, totally reliable and almost as accurate as my standard P226/229 examples. I am thinking this may be the one to put under the seat. Anybody have any experience with these. Extra magazines are next to impossible to find so far, but it came with 2.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
My sentiments exactly; however, before compromising with something like an Astra, I like the Sig SP 2022. Reasonably priced, DA/SA and a polymer grip module. And it shoots like any Sig. Mine is .40 but I have a .357 Sig barrel too.

I get that some like all the glitzy things one can do to make a firearm “cool,” but in the end, for self defense, I’ll take a plain Jane firearm any day with no modifications unless those modifications are functional improvements. Who needs pretty grips, dual tone finishes, etc. for a tool? Just my opinion.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
They were some of the "earliest" clones to emerge from Europe, while their quality was spotty, support today can be an issue. Most of the Astras in the 80-100 model range were adaptions of the Sig with enough "differences" to avoid patent infringements. Not much different than the earlier revolvers, made to mimic S&W revolvers by the various Spanish manufacturers.

They are simply a cheaper alternative, in both price, and overall quality, or as they say, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
90 Posts
There's nothing wrong, and it's no compromise to use the Astra. They are good guns. I have one as well, in 9mm, and have had zero issues. You were speaking of mags... what caliber is yours?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Astra made very reliable budget pistols for use as a daily carry, but the A-100 is heavy and a bit cumbersome for most folks. I kept an Astra A-75 (smaller cousin of the A-100) as a truck gun for many years. I shot it so much just plinking in the field that the firing pin eventually wore out and caused light primer strikes. At that point it was useless since parts are non-existent.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought an Astra A-100 40 cal in 1994 the only problem I had was the slide would not lock back after about 500 rounds, but it was a nice pistol.
That being said I carry a sig M11-A1 if I have to use it it's a reliable pistol I also carry a CZ 75 compact but the sig is better, as far as cost my safety is #1

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's nothing wrong, and it's no compromise to use the Astra. They are good guns. I have one as well, in 9mm, and have had zero issues. You were speaking of mags... what caliber is yours?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
It is a 9mm.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
I saw a CZ-99 at a local gun store the other day and was tempted to just get one out of nostalgia for when I was considering it as an affordable Sig alternative. Has a certain charm in and of itself.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don’t know about the astras. But I feel like the Cz-99(9) family (Zastava and clones) have a pretty good track record as far as Sig alternatives. There’s Israeli-made “Golans “ available on gunbroker right now, for nothing: K.S.N Industries Israeli Military Surplus Golan Like CZ99 (GENERAL LISTING) - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 888743710

As far as I know, they’re just Israeli CZ-99s. The Arex guns are based on the CZ-99 design as well.
And I looked into the Arex guns first. There are a couple of torture tests out there where the Zero 1 out performed the 226 repeatedly, but I assumed it was due to looser tolerances, which usually mean less accuracy. The only example I could find to shoot confirmed that, with 8 inch groups off sandbags at 25 yards. But that is still reasonable combat accuracy. But they were as much as a decent used Sig when all was said and done. This Astra was under $400 out the door! And no big loss if stolen.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have never run across a CZ99 or one of it's clones, much less shot one. But this Astra is so similar to the 226 that I turned it over in my hand a couple of times before I noticed the take down lever was on the wrong side, and looked closer at the name on the slide! And the quality of workmanship is really good.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
Cool....I remember those now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My top pick for a Sig clone is the Arex Rex Zero. I had a 1s and a 1cp. Since the difference between the two was insignificant, I sold off the 1s to fund a new toy. However, my compact (1cp) is a keeper. After loosening up a bit at around 500 rounds this has become a very accurate pistol. At 15 yards, I can put all 15 rounds in a 6 inch target (free hand) and believe me when I tell you its the gun and not me. That would be my choice - although I don't know how you feel about leaving a $500-600 pistol in your auto. I haven't looked lately but at the time used zero 1s were hard to find (that should tell you something).

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
With all of the CPO and surplus SIG P226s floating around, I would rather spend my money on a beater P226 than waste money on a a pistol that has Zero consumer support.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With all of the CPO and surplus SIG P226s floating around, I would rather spend my money on a beater P226 than waste money on a a pistol that has Zero consumer support.
And I think that is a very good point. Up until now my "car" guns have been P6's with civilian spring replacements, to get rid of the onerous military/police heavy triggers, or older used higher capacity Sig's. Unfortunately, at least in my area, the good used or military/police trade in Sig's have dried up. And the most recent ones I found were the P6's, which while they fit my small hands better than 226's, do have a pretty small magazine capacity for a fall back serious encounter or survival weapon. Fortunately P6 magazines are easy to find, so I keep a lot of backup ones with each gun.

This Astra however, still seems to be an intriguing alternative for minimal investment. The cost savings would be insignificant if I had any question about reliability, but after close to 500 assorted rounds now, it has never balked at all. Just an interesting option, and I was curious if others had stumbled across one in the past like I did. Just wish I could find a few more magazines.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had 2 Astra A-80's. an A-90, and 2 A-100's. All were good guns with zero issues. I've never had or even seen a bad Astra gun, just read about them in articles over the years. The mags are easy to find, the 9mm and .40 are the same, and I have kept a couple because I will get another A-100 sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had 2 Astra A-80's. an A-90, and 2 A-100's. All were good guns with zero issues. I've never had or even seen a bad Astra gun, just read about them in articles over the years. The mags are easy to find, the 9mm and .40 are the same, and I have kept a couple because I will get another A-100 sooner or later.
You say the mags are "easy to find. I have scoured every source I know with no luck. Do you have a suggestioqn?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts