Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fellow enthusiasts with eye conditions,

We all see different things through LED or laser holo optics. I personally see a starburst. Others may see a smear, smudge, or twin dots.

Ever wonder what the dot in a red dot sight or the circle-dot on a holographic sight should look like? I took a few "first-person" photos of my optics for you all.

Optics used are:
Aimpoint T2 with Aimpoint 3XC magnifier
EOTech EXPS2-2 with G33 magnifier
Trijicon RMR Type 1
Trijicon RMR Type 2

*All optics replaced with fresh batteries
**All optics were set at the medium setting to prevent glare
***Streak in the Aimpoint does not appear to the naked eye. It is a reflection of the emitter.

Rifle optics in photo order:
1. Shooter's view (Nose to CH for these)
2. Directly behind the optic
3. Under a 3x magnifier
4. Side by Side

Aimpoint T2

EOTech EXPS2-2

Pistol optics... I found it interesting that the Type 1 was lighter in color than the Type 2.

Trijicon RMR Type 1 mounted on a Glock 19

Trijicon RMR Type 2 mounted on a M&P9 2.0C

·
Premium Member
Poppastar a.k.a. pops
1,008 Posts
Starburst here too.

I'm sure there is a reason for it but I've been wondering why an illuminated etched reticle, like an LPVO on 1x, isn't offered in an RMR size type pistol optic. There would be no astigmatism issues.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I found the Romeo5 Predator with a green dot works much better for me than a red dot.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
My AimPoint Micros, Sig Romeos all have some sort of star burst. My two Match Dots do not when turned down to an appropriate level for the light conditions. I think the only difference is that the Match Dots only does daylight settings and they far finer adjustments than the military oriented red dots.

In my case, I have a three hours evaluation setting this week to address my cataracts. An option is to do laser assisted cataract surgery and laser astigmatism treatment at the same time. There are two levels of astigmatism treatment mild or moderate to severe.

I am thinking I will have this done shortly.

·
Banned
1,920 Posts
Question: First time optics on a pistol. Sig P365 with Romeo Zero.

I bore sighted it and everything seemed fine. Dot matched to dot.

Now when I aim the firearm, the red dot I initially see is NOT the red dot that the sight is supposed to illuminate. It is a fainter illumination and smaller than the red dot. The sight's red actual red dot takes a while to acquire it and looks normal. But it is not the first dot I see. This is really screwing with me.

Is this the fault of the dot or the fault of my eyes? Is it the sight? Why is a second dot being cast?

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
First.
Zero the dot independent of the iron sights.
With the RZ it's one or the other.
Mount the dot and use that, or remove it and use the irons.

Mine has multiple dots, about a 65 MOA shotgun pattern. Far worse than my Romeo1.

You can try taking a pic of it and see what it looks like or take a piece of paper and poke a hole about the size of an AR rear peep in it and view the dot through that.
Rotating the gun and seeing if the dots follow or stay in place is another way but kinda tricky with the small RZ.

·
Banned
1,920 Posts
t kinda tricky with the small RZ.
One of my suspicions was the small size of the sight. Hard to get used to when we are talking rifle relex sights. And thank you. I will try all that you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I made a hood thingy with an aperture that goes over one side of my glasses out of business cards so I could Zero mine. Nice crisp dot with that but not very practical.

I'm betting that the RZ poly lens is worse for me over my RD's with a glass lens.

·
Registered
17,860 Posts
My red dots look like the pictures above and I have astigmatism but it's been properly corrected in my glasses.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I'm way past due for another set of glasses and am talking to them this time around about getting something done about it.

It gets expensive trying out different dots. That and driving at night is a PITA these days.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Is this the fault of the dot or the fault of my eyes? Is it the sight? Why is a second dot being cast?
Close 1 eye. (I know, I've got my flame suit on). I see 2 dots, or 2 front sights with both eyes open. I don't have a dominant eye....or both eyes are dominant. I was told this by an eye doctor who shoots. People have told me to cover my left eye (I'm right handed) to make my right eye become dominant. I can shoot effectively and accurately with either eye closed but not with both open. If I were to cover and eye to train the other eye to be dominate my field of vision with the non dominate eye open would be no better than it is now with either eye closed. (as long as I don't mess up and close both eyes LOL)

Without my glasses I have a slight starburst when using a RDS. (I have astigmatism)

·
Registered
17,860 Posts
Close 1 eye. (I know, I've got my flame suit on). I see 2 dots, or 2 front sights with both eyes open. I don't have a dominant eye....or both eyes are dominant. I was told this by an eye doctor who shoots. People have told me to cover my left eye (I'm right handed) to make my right eye become dominant. I can shoot effectively and accurately with either eye closed but not with both open. If I were to cover and eye to train the other eye to be dominate my field of vision with the non dominate eye open would be no better than it is now with either eye closed. (as long as I don't mess up and close both eyes LOL)
I have either a similar problem or perhaps the same problem. My Ophthalmologist told me that my master eye changes from time to time as much as a couple of times a minute or more.

I solved it by using mono vision in my prescription glasses. Since my left eye is set up for close up and my right eye for distance, the left eye won't change to master eye at any distance because it's fuzzy when seen throught he left eye, but not the right. Works great for the last 30+ years, even when shooting moving targets every week.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have a Romeo 5 and and a Romeo Zero. I see a starburst with both. It’s better on lower settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
489 Posts
Starburst here too.

I'm sure there is a reason for it but I've been wondering why an illuminated etched reticle, like an LPVO on 1x, isn't offered in an RMR size type pistol optic. There would be no astigmatism issues.

If you wanted to, there are 1x prism sights that should work with the Geiselle 6-second mount.

Or if you got big money, the top rail of the Alien from Luago Arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.